The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Opinions on DirectTV or Dish Network

Time Warner is raising rates again with the merger and I am thinking about switching. I plan to keep TW for internet, but what are the opinions on DirectTV or Dish for TV. I already know I will miss the Canadian stations I get (CBC and CTV), but the cost has gotten ridiculous for a pretty basic package.

We've had DirecTV since it began, we like it, no issues. Customer service has always been great, if we have had problems with the receiver they've always sent a technician out ASAP. Won't say it's cheap but then we have just about everything they offer, mostly because they bundle one or two channels that you want into a bunch of other's you don't. Hubby likes some sports but ends up with all of them to watch a few channels. We had Dish Network at work (yep, had a TV in my office!). I didn't care for it as much as DirecTV.
    "My treasures do not chink or gleam, they glitter in the sun and neigh at night."
    ~Gypsy saying

We have had both and prefer Directv although right now we are unhappy with their maintenance charges.

We have had our receivers over 7 years and the remotes are going out (buttons stick or just don't work). The only way to get it fixed is to upgrade the receivers and pay for them to come out to swap the boxes. We just want them remotes to work and don't want new boxes (which we are eligible to receive for free).

So to get working remotes we have to pay their repairman to come out and screw the connections on the back of new receivers.

I just cancelled my DirecTV, after 2 years in my new house and 8 years at my old house. Word of warning - the "new customer" packages are QUITE enticing. BUT - be very careful. Those rates they offer are only introductory, and only last 12 months - but you have to sign a 24 month contract! Plus, you get all the movie channels for free for the first 3 months - if you don't want to pay for them, be sure to cancel a good week before those 3 months are up!
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

We have Dish and it has worked just fine.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

Directv. Been a customer for over 15 years, and have been happy. My parents had dish and hated it, now have directv and are happy.
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

We have had Dish for a couple of years now and we like it. Customer service has been responsive, etc.

I was not pleased with DirecTV. We had it for 4 years. First 2 were good. Second 2, terrible customer service, then our local channels went out and they would not help us diagnose, and then finally told us it could be the dish itself, but it would be $60 just to get someone out there to confirm it, then a second service call plus new dish fees to replace. Losing local made us realize that's almost all we were watching anyway. We were at month 23 of 24 at that time, so cancelled, spent the money on a roof antenna and haven't looked back.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Dumped DirectTV and got a Roku and PlayOn. Roku has over 600 channels of its own including Smithsonian (which DirectTV charges $6 a month extra), A&E, etc. PlayOn, www.playon.tv, lifetime membership is $70 for a membership, includes PlayLater (a recording app) and gives you access to NBC, ABC, etc. We pay for Netflix, $8 a month, and Hulu Plus, $8 a month. Hulu Plus gives us access to current series like Bones and moldy oldies like Grace Under Fire. We also have an antenna on the big set and get several channels, but we never use it unless DH wants to watch NASCAR.

DirectTV was up to $80 a month with no movie channels. Just not worth it to have to watch inane commercials over and over.
    Everybody lies - Gregory House, M.D.

1 members found this post helpful.

We've had both and thought they were fine.

We have Dish now and got upgraded to the Hopper system. I hate it. If you are recording three programs the system overrides all the other televisions. You have to cancel a recording in order to watch something else.
    Previously, with a regular DVR, it only affected the tv it was hooked to.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

I know several people who had Dish, and they all hated it. I don't think it was a programming or price problem, but the local installation and repair people where they lived. I had Directv and Hughes Net, but when I got sick of the download limits, and cost of HughesNet, I switched to the local cable company. They don't offer internet without TV, so I had to get rid of both. It was easy to get rid of Hughesnet, they sent a shipping kit, prepaid, and it was easy. The Directv only wanted the programming cards back, and it took six phone calls to customer service, over a six week period to get them to give me an address to return them. With the two year contract on Directv, I'm hoping they aren't my only choice if I move, because paying hundreds of dollars to get out of the contract would really stink.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

We had Dish and hated it. Switched to Direct TV and no problems at all.

Warning, when you go to ship your equipment back to Dish, make sure you get a receipt from UPS. Dish tried to claim we didn't ship all the equipment back, but I was forewarned by the UPS agent that they have a history of trying to pull that.

Even with the receipt that showed the shipping weight which proved all the equipment was packed in the box, they charged my credit card (over $200) not just one, but twice.

They've done the same thing to 4 others I know who cancelled Dish.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I had a HELL experience with Direct TV (simular to what Laura warns about with Dish and the equipment charges).

We entered into a 2 year contract. Service man comes out to install - says it won't work you do not have a clear view of the southern sky - but he will try.

Installs it - doesn't really work, only half of the channels come in half the time (and only home shopper crap, and not any channels I would want to watch WTH?), the other half of the time nothing came in.

Contact DirectTV to cancel - they resist, refuse, scam and con. We end up having to pay the early termination fee (I don't remember how much, between $200 and $350 I think).

Here is the kicker - We cancel, pay the fees, Direct TV says that they will be sending a box for their equipment for us to return (just the modem, they don't want the damned dish). Before the box even arrives, they debit my checking account $350 without my knowledge or approval! I FREAKED, called the bank, asked them what is going on. They ask me if I have ended a contract with Direct TV, which, yes, I did. They go on to say that this happens ALL the time, and that if I looked CLOSELY at my contract, Direct TV has the ability to DEBIT MY ACCOUNT WITHOUT MY PERMISSION!! And that they WILL and DO this every time a contract is cancelled. After the equipment is returned, they will give you the money back.

Nope - not a contract I would ever enter into again.

I am happy with my roku, and my $8 Hulu and $8 Netflix subscriptions.

we like Directv. no problems.

We've had DirecTV for a long time and love it, BUT, it is super expensive. When my husband deployed it wasn't worth $127/month to watch TV for 10 minutes a day in bed before I go to sleep. I just recently cancelled it due to the cost and picked up Hulu for $8/month.

We have had DirecTv probably for 15 or 20 years now and in general have had good luck with it. I am unhappy with their new weather service however...WeatherNation is seriously LAME.
    We have only had a repair person out once or twice and IIRC they didn't charge us.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

We have had Dish for many, many years and really have always had good service. A couple of years ago I considered switching to DirecTV and couldn't get a straight answer out of them to compare packages. We stayed with Dish.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Macimage View Post
    We have had both and prefer Directv although right now we are unhappy with their maintenance charges.

We have had our receivers over 7 years and the remotes are going out (buttons stick or just don't work). The only way to get it fixed is to upgrade the receivers and pay for them to come out to swap the boxes. We just want them remotes to work and don't want new boxes (which we are eligible to receive for free).

So to get working remotes we have to pay their repairman to come out and screw the connections on the back of new receivers.
    I just called the Direct tv service because. our 2 remotes both died of old age. Since we have the protection plan they sent us 2 new remotes. No charge and they were here in 48 hours. Gotta be firm..if the receivers are covered SO ARE THE REMOTES. Tooka while for the chick on the other end of the phone to get that..they died of old age. And are gonna be free to me.

i had one word for her that got her attention..DishNetwork

we can now live in peace without sharing a remote. Heaven!
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by macmtn View Post
    I just called the Direct tv service because. our 2 remotes both died of old age. Since we have the protection plan they sent us 2 new remotes. No charge and they were here in 48 hours. Gotta be firm..if the receivers are covered SO ARE THE REMOTES. Tooka while for the chick on the other end of the phone to get that..they died of old age. And are gonna be free to me.

i had one word for her that got her attention..DishNetwork

we can now live in peace without sharing a remote. Heaven!
    We do not have their protection plan. They want to switch us out to their genie receivers and charge for the install. I've called once and my husband called once a few months later.

If we didn't care about the hassle, we'd cancel the account and then sign up again for the complimentary rates they offer new customers for 12 months. At least we'd get something for the installation fee for the new receivers.

I will call them again next week.

Thanks!

I refuse to get either. I had BASIC cable that was up to $60/month so I dumped my cable last month.
    Got a whiz bang HD antenna and have Amazon Prime streaming and HuluPlus and have all the TV I can (or need) to watch for about $15/month. Beautiful HD picture that I didn't even get with cable since I didn't want to pay extra for the converter box or big $$ for the premium package.

I work a rather bizarre schedule. 4:30pm until 3am for 7 days on then have 7 days off. For the days I am working, I may never turn the TV on. On my days off, I have had no problem finding programing that I want to watch. I want to retire in the next 2-4years so that extra $45/month can fund that not junky TV.

I only thing I miss is ESPN. My iPad is to old to support the WatchESPN app so for now, I am out my sports but oddly am surviving just fine. I may upgrade the iPad if I get a decent tax return.

Susan