The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default Suicide, in general - what's your opinion?

An online acquaintance recently ended her life, with no outward grief, pain, or baggage leading her to do so, just feeling like she was 'done'...she was pretty specific, so it wasn't a case of depression (that's too easy a conventional assessment of a stranger to jump to).

What in general, not of her, is your opinion on suicide?

I myself have never contemplated it, nor plan on it. I'm simply interested in what outer belief systems color each person's idea of this action.
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

In my religion, suicide is a mortal sin. Go straight to H*ll, do not pass go, do not collect eternal life.

In my opinion, it's a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

But occasionally I can see why they chose the way they did. A dear friend commited suicide, she had ovarian cancer and did not want her family to see her suffer. I can understand that, but now, I feel that I will never meet her again in Heaven.

4 members found this post helpful.

i highly doubt this friend had no depression. Normal people don't just end their lives. If it was not depression, then i would say a severe mental disorder.

13 members found this post helpful.

Not something I would try. It's a permanent solution to a temporary problem. It causes so much pain for the people left behind. I wouldn't ever want to hurt my loved ones like that.

Most suicides are the product of a mental illness well-known to most people around the event; they've built up to it and planned it meticulously for many years, and even the most well-meaning SO's, therapists, etc. are not capable of preventing it. Manic-depression or clinical depression are the usual cause. It is rarely an impulsive act from what I've been told and read. Obviously, terrible feelings of guilt and inadequacy are left behind in survivors, who would do well to seek therapy themselves to resolve the lingering feelings of fault.

The other kind of suicide is self-euthanasia, which is actually a bill before our legislature this week. A person who is NOT mentally ill, but IS suffering from a terminal physical illness, chooses to end their life before their quality of life becomes insufferable. This is only what we consider merciful for our animals. I see no merit, religious or otherwise, in being forced to gasp and choke and writhe for a few extra hours, weeks, or days. I support a compassionate society's acceptance of and allowing of this most personal of all choices.

47 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post
    Normal people don't just end their lives.
    I don't necessarily agree with that statement.
    Alzheimer's runs rampant in my family (both sides) and my dad (of very sound mind) has stated that if he started to develop it, he'd end his own life so that his family didn't have to watch him deteriorate and that he'd rather go out on a high note. I was furious with him the first time he made that comment but now, after having worked with a handful of folks with the disease, I can't say that I wouldn't make the same decision for myself.

22 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    The other kind of suicide is self-euthanasia, which is actually a bill before our legislature this week. A person who is NOT mentally ill, but IS suffering from a terminal physical illness, chooses to end their life before their quality of life becomes insufferable. This is only what we consider merciful for our animals. I see no merit, religious or otherwise, in being forced to gasp and choke and writhe for a few extra hours, weeks, or days. I support a compassionate society's acceptance of and allowing of this most personal of all choices.
    That's where I was going--you just stated it much more eloquently than I.

8 members found this post helpful.

If you have never been in that frame of mind, it is hard to explain it to someone.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

19 members found this post helpful.

I don't think you can generalize about suicide as each case is so different. My cousin's daughter committed suicide after battling depression in and out patient her whole life practically. It was sad to see her go but easy to see how she came to that decision and was finally at peace.

7 members found this post helpful.

It's your life, you can end it when you want as long as you don't harm anyone else in the process, either physically (using poison gas which leaks and others are exposed to) or mentally (jumping out in front of a car and putting your death on the driver's conscience).

Ideally, people will think it through and make a reasoned, informed decision about whether they wish to end their own life. Yes, I realize that most people consider the words "suicide" and "reasoned, informed decision" to be mutually exclusive, but I am not one of them.

This is why I would be a terrible therapist.. "okay, you want to kill yourself? Can you think of any reason why you shouldn't? Is this something you've been considering for a long time and have put a lot of thought into? Well okay then, off you go!"
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

19 members found this post helpful.

I could never, ever do or even consider it. But, I think I do understand how some people could see it as an answer to their problems.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

The family I have lost to it, I completely understand why they did it. They were sparing their family from the person they had become. They knew they were going to cause grief and sadness and it was still preferable to subjecting them further to their particular demons. At this time, I can't imagine leaving my children, but if I am ever confronted with a quick end or a long suffering, I don't really know.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

It has always struck me as one of if not the most selfish thing you can do. Not talking about people with a terminal illness, which is a little more of a gray area, but other people. My best friend in HS had a brother commit suicide as a teen. What that family went through in questioning, looking for ANY sign, etc., was horrible. They will never lose that background wondering if they could have changed it.

What really gets to me are the people who involve total strangers in their exit. Jumping in front of a car, train, etc. I don't see suicide as an answer to anything, but I strongly feel that if you ARE going to off yourself, at least have the consideration to do it privately. Go out in the woods and shoot yourself, take pills, whatever, but don't make a total stranger have to carry that. The burden you are bequeathing your family is bad enough.

By the way, must insert a work quip here. Sorry, I know it's not a humorous topic, but I have to admit I got a grin out of this. I'm a medical transcriptionist and type all the time the question about "are you suicidal?" It's part of the standard medical evaluation. Anyway, I typed this not long ago. "When asked his feelings and thoughts about suicide, the patient stated that he does not believe it would be a viable solution to his problems."

14 members found this post helpful.

I think it's a horribly sad situation for all involved, esp for those left behind. I can't imagine circumstances where I would seriously comtemplate it, not even after the unexpected death of my DH. But, I am old enough to know, "never say never".
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

3 members found this post helpful.

I don't think suicide is always selfish, but it can be. If you're going to kill yourself I think the decent thing to do is to not involve someone else (don't jump in front of a car or off a building for example) and leave your affairs in order (especially your finances).

I don't believe in heaven or hell. We all end up in the same place regardless of how we die.

I have always wondered though what the people on the suicide prevention lines tell people to turn them around. What if their life really is just that awful?

7 members found this post helpful.

I don't believe in an afterlife at all. If someone is really suffering that much then fine. It is their life, their choice, as long as they aren't leaving behind children who rely on their care. But I do think that in many suicide cases the person could have been helped and if they received help they would not have made that decision. But in some cases like if they have a disease that is getting progressively worse, and there really is no hope, then I understand not wanting to die in a hospital bed feeling trapped in your body. But saying that, I hope none of my friends or family members commit suicide because they are all in good health and seem happy (to me).
    To understand via the heart is not to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by bugsynskeeter View Post
    If you have never been in that frame of mind, it is hard to explain it to someone.
    This. I was in a place, during my teenage years, when I truly considered it. I know it's sappy, but THANK GOD I got my first horse when I did, because that responsibility of another living life that depended on me was what pulled me out of that mindset. Not everyone has that.

Thankfully, I have not been in such a dark place since, and don't see myself getting there again, but I have been there and I can understand why sometimes, it seems like the only option.

10 members found this post helpful.

Sadly this is something that has touched my family in recent months.

The individual was young (29) and had a young daughter. Life had been a tough for a while but by no means hopeless.

When we last saw this person they seemed a little down but still laughed a lot, seemed to enjoy the good parts of life and just didn't seem so unhappy that they would take their own life.

However, they did.

I believe (disregarding the individuals who are terminally ill as that's really another issue) that an individual who commits suicide does not want to end their life, they want to escape from a problem/situation/feeling and believe that there is no other way.

I would say depression/mental illness/alcohol/drugs/fear can all be huge factors and are most likely present to some degree in all suicides (whether it's outwardly obvious or not).

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Invested1 View Post
    I don't necessarily agree with that statement.
    Alzheimer's runs rampant in my family (both sides) and my dad (of very sound mind) has stated that if he started to develop it, he'd end his own life so that his family didn't have to watch him deteriorate and that he'd rather go out on a high note. I was furious with him the first time he made that comment but now, after having worked with a handful of folks with the disease, I can't say that I wouldn't make the same decision for myself.
    Dad died at 83 of congestive heart failure
    Mom is 84 and has been progressively losing her memory for the last year and a half - she now has a live-in companion
    two grandparents went quickly (heart attack, congestive heart failure - at around 86)
    one grandparent broke his hip, deteriorated quickly in nursing home but lived on - miserably - for another decade (died at 93)

I'm kind of aiming for 80 I guess - will see how it goes
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

I think it's everyone's right to make that choice. For whatever reason.

10 members found this post helpful.