The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Would you pay? Or not. Blind horse.

I am looking at a lovely blind horse. He has been blind since birth so its normal for him. Very calm and sweet. Is undersaddle W/T while he is still working on his canter undersaddle. He lunginges great. I have experience with training and riding blind horses so I am fully confident in that area.

My this ^ I mean I have experience with 4 fully blind horses and 1 that was only blind in one eye. I ran and managed a rescue farm for 10 years and 3 horses came through that were fully blind and written off, we nursed them back to health, trained and rode them and placed them in great homes. the forth one was given to me by a vets office because the owners didn't want him anymore. The horse who was only blind in one eye went on to have a good life with a young jumper.

I am going out to meet this lovely guy and they have explained I should make an offer if we mesh well together. Wow I dont even know where to start. to make an offer. I know it's more important to find the best home more then the money.

Has had 120 days training. Has been off for over a year.

Tips? Suggestions? Where do I start to place a value?

The reason I am asking is....I have not been in a position where someone has ever said "make an offer" so I am a little taken back by that.

I love the bloodlines but are they a deciding factor?

Please do not advise me to look for another horse. I have other horses and I really feel that I can offer this guy a great home with the chance to compete. But more importantly the chance to have a forever home with me where he will be safe, loved, and cared for.

Hopefully this is enough clarity for everyone.
    Last edited by hanoverianlover; Mar. 16, 2014 at 08:49 PM.
    Two creatures; The one who thinks and the other who executes the thought.
    ~This is the ideal of Classical Riding~

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

Free.
    No wait. They should pay YOU to take him.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

32 members found this post helpful.

Agreed. This horse would have no market value and would be extremely hard to place. Most blind horses would be either put down or retired.

4 members found this post helpful.

Good for you for wanting this guy who has limited options open for him! I agree that he should be either free or maybe for a small token adoption fee so the owner knows he is going to a decent home. It is pretty amazing what a blind horse can do once he gets used to not having sight. It is like other senses take over.

2 members found this post helpful.

Not one single penny. If I had my own farm and experience with blind horses I may consider taking him for free.

8 members found this post helpful.

They should give you this horse if you are a reputable person who will keep him and take care of him. They should do a thorough investigation first, starting with your vet and farrier. If you are a good person, you will be the perfect owner for this horse. But I'd do a thorough background check if I owned the horse. (Except I do not rehome mine, but I'd tell my friends to do a background check on you if they owned the horse.)

5 members found this post helpful.

1$

Because it's supposedly bad luck to just give away an animal for free. But, agreed, the old owners should just be happy that he's getting a good new home.

7 members found this post helpful.

Should definitely be free to good home and they will be incredibly lucky to find a good home..

Know that you would have to make a LOT of adaptations to even keep him, have him be safe at your place.

Not worth the effort, because it will turn into a job in the long run.

Not worth having this horse, even for the $1 or free. Way too many things to go wrong just having him around.

And last I knew, horse being shown, was SUPPOSED to have vision in at least one eye, at open shows. Can't protect himself or you, without seeing other animals around him, warning him off.

Am I the only A-hole here?

The value is $/lbs.
    Have the decency to at least offer that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

6 members found this post helpful.

Well, if you think of horses in terms of meat value, yes you are as you described.

15 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post

Am I the only A-hole here?

The value is $/lbs.
    Have the decency to at least offer that!
    My though it that for the cost of fixing place to accomadate the blind horse, you are already in the hole. He needs special conditions for his stall, paddock, you would not normally need in purchasing a sighted horse. That is going to cost you to bring him home, keep on costing you during ownership.

No, paying meat price is not worth getting him, because you are taking on a long-term BURDEN with the blind horse. Sweet and lovable he may be, but everything about him is EXTRA WORK, MORE TIME, than you would have with a sighted horse. Nothing about decency in the picture. Seller kept and raised this blind horse, now wants to get rid of it onto some one else, let him be THEIR BURDEN. Horse needs to be a freebie or sold for the $1 as a legal transaction.

Person taking on this young blind horse, just started, is looking at MANY YEARS of horse "being special" to deal with. That makes him a burden, over his life.

10 members found this post helpful.

I interpreted to mean, pay the meat value otherwise owners will end up selling it to KB, eventually.

8 members found this post helpful.

if you do not know the seller well offer slightly more than meat price as a good faith offer -to show you are not going to drive him to the stockyard the next day. If you have a good relationship with the owner (and you know they honestly just want a good home etc) the $1 sale for legal ramifications should be appropriate.

As many of you offer good thoughts I myself do not consider taking on a blind horse as a burden. This is just my Personal Opinion. I don't believe just beacuse he has a vision issue makes him unvaluable. Damn. If we thought that way about blind people. Thank you for your thoughts

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    My though it that for the cost of fixing place to accomadate the blind horse, you are already in the hole. He needs special conditions for his stall, paddock, you would not normally need in purchasing a sighted horse. That is going to cost you to bring him home, keep on costing you during ownership.

No, paying meat price is not worth getting him, because you are taking on a long-term BURDEN with the blind horse. Sweet and lovable he may be, but everything about him is EXTRA WORK, MORE TIME, than you would have with a sighted horse. Nothing about decency in the picture. Seller kept and raised this blind horse, now wants to get rid of it onto some one else, let him be THEIR BURDEN. Horse needs to be a freebie or sold for the $1 as a legal transaction.

Person taking on this young blind horse, just started, is looking at MANY YEARS of horse "being special" to deal with. That makes him a burden, over his life.
    with the first feeding of a free horse you are in the hole. that is NOT an argument when buying a horse unless you are planning on flipping it!

Quote Originally Posted by hanoverianlover View Post
    I am looking at a lovely blind horse. He has been blind since birth so its normal for him. Very calm and sweet. Is undersaddle W/T while he is still working on his canter undersaddle. He lunginges great. I have experience with training and riding blind horses so I am fully confident in that area. I am going out to meet this lovely guy and they have explained I should make an offer if we mesh well together. Wow I dont even know where to start. to make an offer. I know it's more important to find the best home more then the money.

Has had 120 days training. Has been off for over a year.

Tips? Suggestions? Where do I start to place a value?

I love the bloodlines but are they a deciding factor?

Please do not advise me to look for another horse. I have other horses and I really feel that I can offer this guy a great home with the chance to compete. But more importantly the chance to have a forever home with me where he will be safe, loved, and cared for.
    Something doesn't add up here?

How many blind horses are out there for you to say you have plenty of experience training and riding blind horses?

You want to show a blind horse, you say?
    Are blind horses not banned from shows, for obvious reasons?

You could offer whatever you think he is worth to you.
    See if the seller will take that for a horse that doesn't has any real market, at any price, other than by the lb and that only if you can get him safely there without him getting injured.

Good luck with your project horse.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Well, if you think of horses in terms of meat value, yes you are as you described.
    The horse has more value than 1$.
    It's that simple, even if you do not like the reason why!

And that value is a good thing, to keep horses out of the hands of those who can't afford $/lbs, much less a bale of cheap hay!

I guess I have more faith in the current owners than you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Something doesn't add up here?

How many blind horses are out there for you to say you have plenty of experience training and riding blind horses?

You want to show a blind horse, you say?
    Are blind horses not banned from shows, for obvious reasons?

You could offer whatever you think he is worth to you.
    See if the seller will take that for a horse that doesn't has any real market, at any price.

Good luck with your project horse.
    What doesn't add up?

I have started 2 fully blind horses from breaking to riding in solid W/T/C, I have also fully retrained a blind TB that went blind after an accident in a paddock. Also have cared for a few blind horses over the years that came into a rescue farm that I worked and managed for 10 years.

Yes I would love to show him, and I have shown a blind TB in a training level Dressage show. I am not sure which shows you attend where they are banned however, I have not had any issue with shows banning a blind horse at all that I have been to.

1 members found this post helpful.