The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How much does your vet charge for a sheath cleaning?

I'm sure to getting my horse's sheath done while he is sedated after a float. This has always been a easy, cheap procedure through any vet I have gone through. The last vet I believed just added $10 to the bill for it.

Anyway, I got my bill from the new vet for all his services. Despite being quoted $20 less for a farm call, the sheath cleaning was also $40!!!

I guess I just need to start doing it myself. I was pretty astonished on how much more costly some of the simple procedures were compared to my old vets. I guess make extra where you can, right?

I don't know if you want to do it yourself, but we had a thread with step by step instructions that I found Easy peasy. Did it on the old guy without sedation of any kind and he was quite cooperative. I'm not brave enough to do the pony but for $40 I WILL do it myself if he's already sedated for a float. $40 is above my "sure, go ahead" price point.
    Let me see if I can't find the thread. Voila' http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ghlight=gloves Post #82.

And yes, my DH took one of the household pets in for a neutering, was quoted a reasonable price over the phone, got there and the gal gave him a hard sell for analgesics to keep the dog comfortable, not included in the original quoted price. They have a lot of overhead I guess and upselling keeps everybody from getting sent home when things are slow.
    Last edited by ReSomething; Mar. 14, 2014 at 07:43 PM.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

The practice where I worked for years charged $25 for a sheath cleaning which was done while the horse was sedated for some other procedure. Otherwise a sedation fee was added. I left 2 years ago and via friends, who have also left the practice, most all of the fees at the practice have increased so that fee probably isn't correct now.

Vet adds $10 to the cost of a float

I've always cleaned my own horses' sheaths so I've never paid a vet to do it. It's just a penis and sheath. I keep Cloudy's clean, and since it's pink, I can easily rub or pick off any smegma when I'm grooming him. Cleaning the sheath is also easy, especially around the edges, where shavings and dirt can accumulate. I use Excalibur. Others on Coth have said to use baby wipes, but I've never tried that. I don't understand why women don't like to handle horse penises.

I also clean my mare's udder and her dock often. All the horse books I grew up with said to clean eyes, nostrils and docks daily. So I added udder and penis/sheath to that list. And if the vet or farrier dopes my horses, I do a more thorough cleaning then while they are working on other parts of my horses.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    I don't know if you want to do it yourself, but we had a thread with step by step instructions that I found Easy peasy. Did it on the old guy without sedation of any kind and he was quite cooperative. I'm not brave enough to do the pony but for $40 I WILL do it myself if he's already sedated for a float. $40 is above my "sure, go ahead" price point.
    Let me see if I can't find the thread. Voila' http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ghlight=gloves Post #82.

And yes, my DH took one of the household pets in for a neutering, was quoted a reasonable price over the phone, got there and the gal gave him a hard sell for analgesics to keep the dog comfortable, not included in the original quoted price. They have a lot of overhead I guess and upselling keeps everybody from getting sent home when things are slow.
    I was pretty shocked when I looked at the itemized bill. Like I said, they are a great practice and wonderful people.. just pricey. Thank you for linking me to that thread. I will be doing it myself from now on!

I was a bit shocked when a vet clinic went ahead and did a sheath cleaning on a gelding who was at the clinic for routine dentistry. I was not present, and they had not asked me if I wanted the sheath cleaned, so they just went ahead and did it. Showed me what they had done when I came back to pick him up. $30 was added to my bill.

As it is, I am not a big believer in cleaning sheaths for horses. I check for beans, and check for large build ups of smegma, but using ANYTHING other than water can irritate the sensitive skin, which then increases the exudate, and makes for even more build up of dirt and grease. I pick off excess smegma, and remove beans if they occur. But to upset the natural bacterial balance of the skin by cleaning it/sterilizing it, is counter productive to the health of the skin. Cleanliness and antibacterial treatments for this area are not a good plan. I was a bit shocked that the vet clinic did not know this. I refused the pay the $30, which they were OK with. Fortunately for the horse, apparently they did not use anything that damaged the skin, and his regular skin flora managed to re establish itself without incident or infection by pathogenic organisms after this treatment.

As strange as it sounds, when I worked in barns, sheath and udder cleaning were GREAT ways to make extra money. One person finds out you're willing to do it and before you know it you have a dozen horses signed up. I charged $40 per.

No idea what my vet charges. Probably $10-20.

I can do my guys but not do as complete a job as the vet can do while they are drugged. I have the vet do them when he does teeth, as they are drugged and he's more adept at the bean extraction than me. I think what is charged is an indicator of how much they hate doing it, as I've had it vary from $25 to $46.50 as of late. The latter tells me that guy really doesn't want to do it! I don't mind the smell or grossness of it all, but the bending kills my back if I have to do all 3 horses on the same day.

Just had my geldings sheaths cleaned in November. $35, no sedation. The vet did a very thorough cleaning, much better than any I could have done. Well worth the price. I have him do this once a year, and then I do an intermittent cleaning in the spring/summer, as needed.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

I am at the barn when teeth get done so I usually just clean their sheaths as soon as the vet is done teeth. I have no idea what my vet clinic charges for sheaths, but my vet is happy that I do my own, not a fan of the smell!