The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I get the feeling there is some wiggle room on the price if Windy finds a good home. I don't know about donating, but I bet that if it was an option at this point we'd know about it.

BeastieSlave-

Yeah, I recently spoke to Louise regarding this horse and it was also a question pondered. The offer from PetsAlive is like a dream come true for this particular filly. PetsAlive Sanctuary is a reputable rescue organization - with so many horses in need of good homes, I'd like to *think* the owner would be appreciative.

Crossing the digits *something* can be worked out!

If donation isn't an option, how are things in the $ department? If Windy had to be purchased (hopefully for a good bit less than $800) is there money to buy her and send her to PetsAlive? I know I could contribute a bit, and I bet some of the rest of us could scrape up some more.... I LOVE that PetsAlive is closer than some of us, so shipping might not take a huge chunk out of anything we can come up with.

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

I'm going to email the Exceller Board and see what they think about this offer. It sure sounds great to me. If we could all get together, possibly donate to Exceller, stipulating that the money is to go towards the purchase and transport of Windy, and get her to Pets Alive Sanctuary, it sounds like a wonderful solution.

I know that, like many horse charities these days, Exceller is terribly short of money, but, if we pull together, maybe we can make this happen.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

The ad states:
    Windy is a 16.2 dark bay four year old filly, with a white stripe and snip that complements her kind eye and expression. Trainer says that this filly likes to lick faces, is an excellent baby sitter and companion, is extremely quiet and can be ridden bareback. Also, Windy has been started over 2' fences and really seems to enjoy low level jumping. Trainer says that Windy is sound, but is over at the ankle, and would make a great family horse.
    Asking $800 negotiable. Call (585)261-7603 any time

This indicates to me that she would be happier in a situation where she has a more 'active' job rather than just as a companion. A lot of the OTTBs really love to work and get a bit depressed if not working.

She sounds like she'd be a wonderful family horse.

Default G*D help me I never should have opened this thread...

This horse is perfect for me, just a year sooner than I thought. I have the purchase money, certainly the love and even a good home for her, and we are only four short hours away from Fingerlakes. DH doesn't think I'm serious about starting my long-dreamed of horse "career" at age 45 and although he's right about being responsible about kid's tuition, I am growing more impatient. Damn that responsibility stuff anyway .

What I DON'T have is a clue as to what the long-term prognosis is for a horse like this. Anyone know? Can I look forward to a more-than-normal maintenance schedule when she's 10? 15? Hocks don't scare me (anymore) but front legs do. I am a fully competent groom and tack buyer, but all my knowledge is on the ground, not in the saddle. Would she require someone who knew what she was doing to ride her (my plan was for me to take lessons for the rest of my life). Maybe I would have to budget for full training AND board?

Big sigh. I'll go talk to my vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceshy
    This horse is perfect for me, just a year sooner than I thought. I have the purchase money, certainly the love and even a good home for her, and we are only four short hours away from Fingerlakes. DH doesn't think I'm serious about starting my long-dreamed of horse "career" at age 45 and although he's right about being responsible about kid's tuition, I am growing more impatient. Damn that responsibility stuff anyway .

What I DON'T have is a clue as to what the long-term prognosis is for a horse like this. Anyone know? Can I look forward to a more-than-normal maintenance schedule when she's 10? 15? Hocks don't scare me (anymore) but front legs do. I am a fully competent groom and tack buyer, but all my knowledge is on the ground, not in the saddle. Would she require someone who knew what she was doing to ride her (my plan was for me to take lessons for the rest of my life). Maybe I would have to budget for full training AND board?

Big sigh. I'll go talk to my vet.
    She will not like be the horse to take you to the Olympics.
    But most horses won't.
    Prognosis...you have to see the leg and x-rays, and then still you won't know.

This girls greates asset seems to be her mind, and that is really priceless!

And your trainer is gonna bounce of the wall, tracking this croocked nag into his barn!

She sounds like a good catch for a family, SO, kids and guests...all covered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

No worries about the Olympics -the only way I'm going is as a tourist.

"...tracking a crooked nag..." sorry - I am never amazed by just how clueless I am. Do you mean her way of going will be crooked? Sorry to be an imbecile - I really and truly do need a horse smarter than me (but not pony smart). Good point about the x-rays - I should know that by now.

And last? The LEAST of my trainer-to-be's troubles will be a horse with bad conformation - he'll be too busy trying to figure out a nice way to tell me I waited 40 years too long to start my riding "career"! I won't probably ever graduate to jumping anything higher than a ground pole! If I thought this horse would be happy with me loving and grooming and buying cute blankets for her I'd snap her up, but alas to MissBri's point this horse has the smarts and needs a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceshy
    No worries about the Olympics -the only way I'm going is as a tourist.

"...tracking a crooked nag..." sorry - I am never amazed by just how clueless I am. Do you mean her way of going will be crooked? Sorry to be an imbecile - I really and truly do need a horse smarter than me (but not pony smart). Good point about the x-rays - I should know that by now.

And last? The LEAST of my trainer-to-be's troubles will be a horse with bad conformation - he'll be too busy trying to figure out a nice way to tell me I waited 40 years too long to start my riding "career"! I won't probably ever graduate to jumping anything higher than a ground pole! If I thought this horse would be happy with me loving and grooming and buying cute blankets for her I'd snap her up, but alas to MissBri's point this horse has the smarts and needs a job.
    By all acounts the horse walks normal. though the pics have me go *WOW* had to save it to the PC I need to show these to my dad!

She sounds like the horse for you (Caveat, I have not seen the horse, but she sounds like the horse I would be looking for! Similar goals, sans blanket buying! )

And 800$ neg. for a great mind is a steal!
    Plus she is tall, but not too tall, accomodating a wide range of riders...

<<Edited to say the *a job* often just means other than loafing in the field!>>
    Last edited by Alagirl; May. 10, 2006 at 12:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Thumbs up Go for it TWICESHY!!!!!

You would be giving her a job - my comments were directed to using this mare as simply a companion horse at a rescue. I think you would be a PERFECT match!

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

I just got word that the trainer has agreed to donate her to Pets Alive's Sanctuary. She loves the idea of Windy having a home for life. I'm waiting for word on how transportation is going to be handled. Maybe we can all pitch in and help get her there. Everyone is in NY so the cost shouldn't be too high.

Twiceshy, if you want, I can keep my eye out for a horse that would suit your purposes. A good mind is a valuable thing, and every once in a while we run into a horse on the track who is like Windy, sweet and kind and willing. I'd be more than glad to give you a heads up.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Louise,

Absolutely great news for Windy!

PetsAlive- Phoned and left a message as well as sending off an email.

Details need to be worked out - hopefully shipping won't be a problem.

That is great news for Windy!! I am actually buying Sea Patrol, pending vet check. I left a message for a vet and am waiting for a call back.

Jingles for a good vetting for Sea Patrol!!

Heather

Ahhhhhh.. another happy ending. I had a feeling this one would not be coming to NC, she feels "lucky". Am not sure how else to describe it.

Let us know if you need donations to ship her!

Default Shipping

Totally forgot about that (embarassed) - if anyone could help I would appreciate it - we have a PayPal address PetsAlive2003@yahoo.com

Where is she anyway? Any idea what shipping would cost?

BTW - she looks horribly thin to me OR our horses are really 'blimps'.

Sara

She's not horribly thin.. i think that's the illusion her wither gives. She's ribby.. but she has a round rump and fat over her shoulders.. Her neck is underdeveloped as well.. She does need a good feed.. but i wouldn't say she was neglected or being starved.

Rivermeer i am so so so jealous of you. I love Sea Patrol.. If i wasn't where i am i would have snapped him up!

Default Her legs...

I don't know for sure, but to me her front legs look a LOT like contracted tendons. We had a filly that developed this when she was a coming two year old. She had surgery and has never taken a lame step in her life. She still will go over at the ankle on occasion but has never had any problems (she is 8 now) and has never tripped or anything like that.

Default Happy for Windy!

Thanks PetsAlive very much for all you do, not just for Windy. I will paypal a donation or send a check this week and wish beautiful grassy pastures for her.

Louise, thanks very much for the offer. I have a special place in my heart for horses, but a special hole in my head for TBs. I had a disappointing conversation with my vet yesterday regarding my daughter's current horse and my heart has a new hole, and my wallet now has a large(r) hole...er... crater. So it looks like I may have my horse after all, and the bonus is I already know and love him. Daughter is sad that her mighty steed may now be mom's new horse, but one day at a time, right? He'll be a great teacher too. Cheers all - glad to see we have a happy ending for Windy. You COTH'ers are awesome people.

Default Windy will be coming to Pets Alive

I just spoke to her trainer and she is delighted that Windy will have the 'job' of being a well loved and much handled companion/pet.

I am very anxious to meet her and hope there is someone here who can help me arrange transportation for her. I have no clue how to do this and we do not have a trailer.

I just told KINGFISH that he will soon have a new lady friend - he stopped eating for ONE SECOND to acknowledge my presence <G>

Smile

Did you ask her trainer about help lining up a shipper? She indicated to me that she'd be happy to help find reasonable shipping. I bet Louise and the other NY gals will have some ideas. Just how far are you from the track? Keep us posted....