The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Well that's closer than me!

I just spoke with her trainer and let me tell you, she said all the right things. Windy sounds like a really sweet mare. PM me if you want to know what I found out.
    Last edited by BeastieSlave; May. 8, 2006 at 02:39 PM.

BeastieSlave and EqTrainer - might either of you be considering giving this sweetheart of a mare a new home?

Alagirl, we're ALL little horseless girls at heart - aren't we?

Default I'm trying to be creative...

The word is this gal is very kid-friendly and an easy keeper (not always easy to find in a big TB mare)
    She's been sound in training and should be able to do an up-down type lesson a day if anyone needs a larger sweetie for a lesson program.

Quote Originally Posted by 17handtb
    BeastieSlave and EqTrainer - might either of you be considering giving this sweetheart of a mare a new home?

Alagirl, we're ALL little horseless girls at heart - aren't we?

Need I say more!

She looks cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Cool

Her ankle isn't her only conformation problem, she has not the greatest hind legs either. She shouldn't be bred because her foals stand a very good chance of being at LEAST as crooked as she is.

BUT if she can RACE TRAIN with legs like that she can certainly stand up to trail riding or lesson taking. Just because she'll never be a show horse doesn't mean she couldn't make someone a lovely companion, riding horse or pasture ornament.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Well she looks and sounds like an absolute doll! I checked her out when I was drooling over Sea Patrol and what a lovely expression she has. I bet she'll try her heart out for her new person.

Well it looks like the situation I was hoping for won't happen for Windy. My friend just can't get $ together now

I'm gonna keep trying - ya'll work on it too!

Default Bump

Come on guys. I feel like we're supposed to help this gal find a home!

She is a beautiful girl with a kind eye and I'd be willing to bet if she was holding up to race training up there, she would be able to do a good bit at the lower levels of several disciplines. But, it sounds like she'd be a good addition to whatever home was interested in her!

A very BNT once told me that some of these horses will give you everything, just because you were willing to take a chance on them. I have several of those in my barn and encourage anyone out there that is considering a sweet mare to give her a chance!

Libby
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

Man, she's too far away and I don't know weher I am comming or going these days...
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Louise knows that if things become urgent to let me know.

If that happens, I am going to be calling on you guys, because I will need help getting her down here!

So rest easy for now but be prepared. We can rehome her from here if need be.

I'll do what I can too, and the trainer said she'd be happy to help find reasonable shipping to the south if she needs to come this way...

This beautiful girl just has the kindest eye - regardless of her ankles/conformation, I'm sure would make someone a wonderful trail partner. I have to say that I've actually seen worse conditions, (knees/fractures) where it appeared that a horse just wouldn't stand a snowballs chance in h*% of being anything more than a pasture companion - but given time turned into fantastic pleasure/trail horses.

It's reported that this filly *is* sound (she's been racing), and although her ankles look terrible, she should not be discounted for use as a trail/pleasure horse. I'm confident that someone will see the beauty of her, past her ankles. JMHO

I am personally very curious to have a look at her foot/heel on that side.

I have a slightly unrelated question (but bumps the thread, so humor me?) ...

Is her condition typical of ... well, she's got a baby at her side, right? But she seems so thin. Is that race-track fit, or a very young TB, or ...? Her muscles seem really well defined, and I have a tendency to want to cover any rib I see with flesh (see myself as a prime example) ...
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

Nope, no baby.. now that would be criminal, as thin as she is.

She is considered race track skinny IMO.. not race fit at all... definately a bit thin but not super thin.. probably a 4-5 on the scale.

She just looks, what my old trainer would have called, poor. Needs some pasture time and some looooovveee, not to mention elbow grease!

Default Windy

We have been looking for a calm (preferably older) companion mare for one of our Retired Carriage Horses. Kingfish will be 42 (I think) this year (he is a standardbred) who has just lost his 30 something year old TB companion (racer, then backyard horse, then hack horse) to Cushings that could not be controlled with Pergolide.

Obviously we do not have the funds to purchase horses but if you think she is 'horse friendly' we will provide a home for her. If this group could fund her purchase jointly (I can personally kick in $50) perhaps this is the right new 'job' for her.

I agree that she'll make a great pleasure horse. The irony is that even though her ankles look terrible, she'll probably be more sound than some of the other beasties coming off the track.

She's even had some work off the track, so she's got a head start in the training department

As for her lean appearance... I think the trainer said she's getting 3 quarts of feed/day plus hay. IMHO that's nothing for a horse who's working and not on pasture. It lends some credit to the easy keeper comment.

Louise,

Any chance the trainer would consider 'donating' her - if not, possibly a negotiation of her asking price of $800 to something more reasonable.

PetsAlive- You've offered up a wonderful opportunity for this filly- a suitable 'job'. As I've oftened said, when a chapter closes a new chapter begins, if this trainer is willing to donate, your fine older gentleman may have a new 'partner'.

NAH, she's not skinny, a little thinner than I like my horses, but overall good... she looks like she still has some shedding out to do though...

And I think the baby/foal remark is off, she's been in race training...

I would love to see x-rays on that leg...scientific curiosity...