The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Picture of Windy in her new home.

It was a beautiful day on the backside yesterday, and we got some nice listings. There are two geldings that both have a lot of potential.

And then, there's Windy. If you've had mares, you know that there are a few who come along who are so sweet and so kind, that you just want to love on them all day. I just saw her for a few minutes, but I think, from what I saw and from what the trainer said, that Windy just may be one of these.

She is over at the ankles, so she won't be a big competition horse, but she is sound. She was so interested, in a calm, curious sort of way, in us, and all we were doing. The trainer thinks she would make a good family horse, and what struck me is that she is big enough that she might very well make a good husband horse, or guest rider horse.

Sometimes you see a horse that you know has a lot of love to give. You just want to make sure that horse ends up with someone who will love right back. I think Windy is such a horse. I hope very much that she ends up with a loving family, and be doted on for the rest of her life.

http://exforg.proboards32.com/index....ead=1146413646
    Last edited by Louise; May. 18, 2006 at 06:13 PM.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Default HOLY COW

Wow. I've seen a LOT of horses and I have NEVER seen that. Have you seen her in the flesh, Louise? If so, how does she move?

How on God's green earth did she end up at the racetrack????

I would love to see radiographs of those ankles. I wonder if this might be the result of arthritis from septic joints as a foal. hmmmmm.

I hope she finds a home.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Poor baby. She does have nice, kind eye.

Louise,

Not to hijack this thread. The mare looks very, very sweet and deserving. Did you see Sea Breeze in person? What are your thoughts on him.

Thanks,

Heather

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

hitch, all I saw was the walk. She seemed to have no problem and as a matter of fact, they took her off of the walker to show her to us. I have no idea what is with the ankles. The trainer did say that she is sound, and also that she had her young child up on her, she's that quiet.

Rivermeer - you have a pt

Over at the ankles.. I wonder if it has any genetic propensity? I would not think she would hold up to much other than being a Mommy. I bet she would be a GREAT Mommy.. look at that sweet face and otherwise cutie body! I love her.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer
    Over at the ankles.. I wonder if it has any genetic propensity? I would not think she would hold up to much other than being a Mommy. I bet she would be a GREAT Mommy.. look at that sweet face and otherwise cutie body! I love her.
    I disagree. Unless those ankles are 100%, it would be cruel to put the burden of a pregnancy on this filly. Why do people jump to the conclusion that if mares can't be ridden, they should be bred? If this was a colt, would you toss him into the breeding shed? No. You would geld him and turn him into a pasture pet/trail horse and let him have a nice comfie life. Just because a horse has a uterus does not mean you must breed it.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Original Poster

I spoke to the trainer this weekend. I told her that people were concerned about Windy's ankles, and wanted to know more about them. According to the trainer, it is a birth defect, not an injury. She says that this horse has been in race training, and has been ridden and jumped up to two feet over last winter and has never taken an unsound step.

She concurs that Windy will never be a race horse, nor will she be able to compete in the upper levels of any discipline. But, she feels that this horse, with her loving and quiet disposition, would make a great family horse. She also says that she has a lovely, floating trot. I've seen several threads about how hard it is to find a good husband horse, or extra horse for guests. Windy just might fit the bill. Of course, as with all these horses, I would strongly suggest a vet check.

I don't want to go screaming, Danger! Danger! about this horse. I don't know what her future will be if someone doesn't buy her. All I know is that this horse is as deserving of a good and loving home as any horse we list. I sincerely hope that there is someone out there who will recognize that this young horse does have the capability of becoming a true member of the family.

Remember, it is very hard to judge anything from a couple of pictures. The ankle may not look as wonky in real life as it does in the picture. If someone out there needs or wants a quiet family horse, please give Windy a chance. Surely she deserves that.

Quote Originally Posted by hitchinmygetalong
    Just because a horse has a uterus does not mean you must breed it.
    THANK YOU!!! x10 0000000000

She is not breeding material in any way shape or form. I hope she does find a wonderful kind and loving home but.

What a sweet looking mare!
    My kids will kill me if I bring home another beastie that won't hold up to jumping. Not really - I'd die of guilt because I should really find them another horse before I take on another 'project'. But.....I'm in if the COTH magic-makers want to try and make some magic for this gal

Original Poster

In the first place, no one that knows this mare is saying that she can't be ridden, just that she will never be a competition horse.

I am humbly asking you, please do not make this into an argument about who is right or wrong as far as breeding goes. Can we please just concentrate on finding this Good Girl a home where she will be happy and useful?

I will thank you, and I know Windy would too.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise
    In the first place, no one that knows this mare is saying that she can't be ridden, just that she will never be a competition horse.

I am humbly asking you, please do not make this into an argument about who is right or wrong as far as breeding goes. Can we please just concentrate on finding this Good Girl a home where she will be happy and useful?

I will thank you, and I know Windy would too.
    Out of respect for what you do, I am going to delete my post. If for some reason it turns out that she needs a home and the trainer is willing to give her away, PT me. I'd be willing to give her a chance.

Original Poster

Thank you EqTrainer!

It took me a couple of sentences to realize that "at the backside" meant the one at the racetrack!!! I also have never NOTICED ankles like that, but if she's been in race training, they must work okay. I would also caution that with those WITHERS, she may cost alittle more in saddle money. She SURE looks like a sweetie!!!

Default Okay guys!

Lets get past the conformation critiques and do something constructive.
    I've got a couple ideas I'm working on, but I would happily support anyone who is closer and has a good situation for this mare. EqTrainer, where are you?

I consider racing to be the ultimate test of a horse's anatomy, and this one obviously passed.

WOW...that leg looks backwards!

BUT if she is as sweet as described, and sound for pleasure, she ought to be weight in gold and platinum!

So she may or may not be a broodmare prospect...(Are we messed up for first thinking of breeding...or what) she could be the auntie a weanling needs to cope...

She looks cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Windy may have unsightly ankles, but as others have said, look at that eye! Such kindness and intelligence. I bet she will be the most trustworthy, loyal and big-hearted mount anyone could ask for.

Let's put our heads together...perhaps there is a horseless kid out there who would love this girl for all she has to give? Maybe we can make a miracle happen and play COTH matchmaker with Windy and a perfect person out there somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by 17handtb
    Windy may have unsightly ankles, but as others have said, look at that eye! Such kindness and intelligence. I bet she will be the most trustworthy, loyal and big-hearted mount anyone could ask for.

Let's put our heads together...perhaps there is a horseless kid out there who would love this girl for all she has to give? Maybe we can make a miracle happen and play COTH matchmaker with Windy and a perfect person out there somewhere?
    Raises hands:

MEE, MMEEEEEEE, MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a horseless kid!!!!!!!
    I may be old but not grown up yet!

Oh, you ment for real......shuffles off in shame.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

BeastieSlave, I am in NC.