The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Y'alls advice was to not get the dog...

and I am very glad I didn't listen. My shepsky has turned out to be the most awesome dog ever. He has A LOT of medical problems that we are dealing with. His biting has subsided. He still gets pretty worked up if people are speaking loudly around him. Anyway, the other night I left work early so I was home at a time of night I am not normally here. My truck was parked in the garage, which I normally don't and all that was on was the tv, so my house was dark. I live in what I thought was a pretty safe area, so I leave the door unlocked most of the time. There I was catching up on TV shows when my side door opens... I don't think much of it because I have an open door policy with everyone. Family and friends come and go all the time. The dogs always greet visitors happily so they jumped up and ran to the door. I hear an unfamiliar voice tell them to get back. So i get up to investigate. I scream "OH MY GOD" because I do not know this guy. He starts to come past me to head back to the door and my awesome little rescue dogs attacks him. Gives me the time to call 911 and does enough damage to where the cops were able to catch him before he could make it to his car. WIthout my dog, I am not sure what would have happened. I am so thankful for him and I believe he is thankful for me too.

21 members found this post helpful.

That's scary! So glad you are safe and everything has worked out.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

He knows you are his rescuer and he is showing his gratitude -- dogs are great!! LOCK YOUR DOORS!!
    PennyG

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank goodness it was a genuine attacker and not an acquaintance showing up at an odd time since he attacked a person. Glad you are okay. Lock your doors and consider teaching an actual command if you want him to bite people so that he doesn't go off biting people based off of a scream or unusually timed visit.

7 members found this post helpful.

are you SURE it was a "genuine attacker"? he didn't attack, all he did was walk in, which is apparently normal behavior in your house?
    might have been a friend of a friend sent over for some reason, and your dog bit him because you "raised your voice" which you knows triggers the dog to act up. Might want to be careful if, say, you invite some noisy guys over to watch football or something.
    Be interesting to see how this plays out.

I'd be kinda scared of a dog that attacks without my "go" word. Although I am new to dog ownership, I am not new to dogs. Having had horses for many years, I have been at many barns that had guard dogs, and I was taught the word to be spoken to the dog if/when I needed protection. That's my only experience with guard dogs, but it makes sense to me for a variety of reasons.

I'm glad you're ok and you are enjoying your dog
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

4 members found this post helpful.

let's hope that the dog isn't required to be quarantined for biting someone.

I think you were lucky....this time.

4 members found this post helpful.

Well, you taught him to bite, didn't you? Not such a good thing to teach a dog that if you are worried or frightened that he has the go ahead to just chew the hell out of someone who may have made a mistake, or been confused, medical condition, what have you.

This is the neurotic dog that you were shoving back out the door and hitting him on the mouth until he tried to bite you right? You are bragging about this?
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

5 members found this post helpful.

He has never attacked anyone. Snapped, yes, but attacked, no. I didnt know who this person was. He was someone breaking into my home. Someone who knew I wasn't going to be there because I was supposed to be at work. My dog understood that this particular person should not be there, so yes, I am bragging because god only knows what could have happened if he weren't here with me. ANY other person who comes through the door her greets with a friendly tail wag. I would say good job to my dog and you people are ridiculous!

6 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, you need to not leave your damned door unlocked.

13 members found this post helpful.

Is your dog in quarantine? I am surprised he wasn't seized. I am not saying your dog necessarily did anything wrong but there are repercussions.

2 members found this post helpful.

For sure put some training on the dog before it bites a visitor. Seriously.

I'm happy the dog protected you and since the intruder was trespassing, perhaps you'll dodge a lawsuit or worse -- this time. A dog who snaps or bites is potentially a dangerous dog. With training, you may be able to turn this liability into an asset. Do it for the dog's own sake. If, in the future, it bites a friendly visitor, it may face euthanization.

My Mom raised German Shepherds. Just the sight of one kept people at bay. Never mind they were all a bunch of cupcakes.

So OP, you came on here with a Na Na Na Na attitude. Didn't get what you expected I'm sure.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

9 members found this post helpful.

The guy was trying to go back past you out the door? You're going to have a lawsuit on your hands.

And my advice is you still shouldn't have the poor dog.
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ready To Riot View Post
    and I am very glad I didn't listen. My shepsky has turned out to be the most awesome dog ever. He has A LOT of medical problems that we are dealing with. His biting has subsided. He still gets pretty worked up if people are speaking loudly around him. Anyway, the other night I left work early so I was home at a time of night I am not normally here. My truck was parked in the garage, which I normally don't and all that was on was the tv, so my house was dark. I live in what I thought was a pretty safe area, so I leave the door unlocked most of the time. There I was catching up on TV shows when my side door opens... I don't think much of it because I have an open door policy with everyone. Family and friends come and go all the time. The dogs always greet visitors happily so they jumped up and ran to the door. I hear an unfamiliar voice tell them to get back. So i get up to investigate. I scream "OH MY GOD" because I do not know this guy. He starts to come past me to head back to the door and my awesome little rescue dogs attacks him. Gives me the time to call 911 and does enough damage to where the cops were able to catch him before he could make it to his car. WIthout my dog, I am not sure what would have happened. I am so thankful for him and I believe he is thankful for me too.
    I am not sure of the back story with this dog, but I am absolutely flabbergasted you leave your door open like that. I also live in a "safe area," and I keep my place locked up like Fort Knox! Even when I am home.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

6 members found this post helpful.

That man can sue the pants off of you if he wants to.

You've just taught your dog to attack when you're scared. Great job. Make sure you lock your door on April 1st.

In before the lock. Now to read the thread. Thanks to the Cother who sent me the link while I was at the barn.

People who train their dogs to attack had better have large insurance policies.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    People who train their dogs to attack had better have large insurance policies.
    People who's dogs willy nilly attack people who may have walked into the wrong house better have larger ones.

This man can and probably will sue you. He will probably win. Because even by your own account he was trying to LEAVE when the dog attacked him. Your "beloved" Shepsky will wind up dead. And for some reason you're bragging about this.
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

Oh ferchrissakes...she saved a dog. Dog saved her.
    What part of THAT IS GREAT do you all not get?
    Ya in this sue happy society, the burgler might sue. Might not. But that dog did its job...protecting home and family. And I bet that asshole will think twice before burgling another home. One he had NO business being in. If the door was locked he probably would have just broken in.

She...could have just shot him, and be in the right. Self defense.

If He pulled that crap in my home...they would be taking him out feet first.
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

RtR- I am very glad you are OK. Also that your dog acted appropriately in that circumstance. Might be a bit trickier to proof him not to overreact in situations that are similar such as friendly but unexpected strangers, but Im sure glad he was there for you that night.