The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Driveway Alarm for farm

Id like to get a driveway alarm. Can't tell you how many times I've accidentally seen someone driving in/out of our driveway. So how often does it happen when I don't notice?

We are a small private farm so nobody should be up here.

Any recommendations?
    Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

1 members found this post helpful.

I have one that is hard wired in. Too many deer would set off a motion detector one. So very helpful to have. Mine is done by a local company.

I have several of the cheapy ones, $10's, in places like cattleguards by the house.
    Their range is about 400' to ping at the little base in the house.

Then I have Dakota Alert MUR ones, that can alert you for over a mile on line of sight and tend to cost over $100+.
    Those also have a mobile base, that will alert wherever you are in range, similar to a two way radio.

I have one that is set off by metal. Works great. It works off 2 C batteries that I usually change once/yr. Bought it so many yrs ago I have no idea where I did buy it but you should be able to google Driveway Monitor and find something.

I wouldn't recommend one that is set off by motion detection because of deer and other wild life.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I also have a metal detector system, with one sound box in the house and the other in the barn. Mine is a Dakota Alerts brand, but as you can see on this site, there are lots of options available:
    http://www.homesecuritystore.com/nse...words=drivewAY

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

I have this one:
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...driveway-alarm
    I can't see my front gate from my house, I have a very long driveway. Before I put in a solar powered front gate, I relied on my driveway alarm to let me know when someone was driving up.

Quote Originally Posted by kch7238 View Post
    I have this one:
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...driveway-alarm
    I can't see my front gate from my house, I have a very long driveway. Before I put in a solar powered front gate, I relied on my driveway alarm to let me know when someone was driving up.
    We have a solar powered gate with both a remote control opener and a control box where someone elnters the right combination to get in the gate. No one can get onto the property by vehicle without the combination and no problems with someone inadvertantly leaving the gate open while they drive back on to the property. (Gate automatically closes after 10 seconds.)
    Sandy in Fla.

A pair of a Jack Russell's, but my daughters boyfriend says its defective because it has too many false alarms.

2 members found this post helpful.

We just added the tractor supply one linked above - mighty mule. It is working quite well. We ended up having to make the wire to the sensor longer as we have a very large driveway.

I need something to alert me when my creepy neighbor is hanging out behind my house. He stays on his side of the fence but he likes to hide behind my weedy arborvitae in the dark and watch me while I'm doing chores. During daylight hours he tries to look in my windows (my house is only 20-30 feet off the property line). His house is a good 400 feet from mine and he has 5 acres to wander about but he always seems to be back in the corner of his property behind my house. Do you think if I aimed one of these driveway alarms toward the property line it would work? I'd love to just randomly flip the back porch lights on every time he came down here. I'd have to place it high enough that it would only sound when a human passed by and not his dogs (they like to hang behind my house and bark. And try to attack if I get too close to the fenceline).
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

A driveway alarm would not be my first choice for this type of situation. I would go for motion activated lights / sounds. By mounting the motion detector in the right place / at the right height, you may be able to limit its activation to something at human height, rather than something at dog height. Perhaps a system that first turned on a spotlight, then after a short delay, sounded an audible alarm ... truck air horn set at about his ear level would work for me ....

*star*

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy's Mom View Post
    I need something to alert me when my creepy neighbor is hanging out behind my house. He stays on his side of the fence but he likes to hide behind my weedy arborvitae in the dark and watch me while I'm doing chores. During daylight hours he tries to look in my windows (my house is only 20-30 feet off the property line). His house is a good 400 feet from mine and he has 5 acres to wander about but he always seems to be back in the corner of his property behind my house. Do you think if I aimed one of these driveway alarms toward the property line it would work? I'd love to just randomly flip the back porch lights on every time he came down here. I'd have to place it high enough that it would only sound when a human passed by and not his dogs (they like to hang behind my house and bark. And try to attack if I get too close to the fenceline).
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Oh, this is fun to think about. Lets think.

Wouldn't it be great if you had something which when he was close enough to the fence to see anything on would switch realy high intensity flood lights, bright, aimed right at his head level. I might be something actually on the ground, which was aimed up higher to trigger at his head height.

Or you could set it up so that nything moving near the fence could trip a train horn, or boat horn. Oh, I see Shoten Star had the same idea. I like that blazing spotlight, then air horn idea. Nice going.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Black River Farm View Post
    A pair of a Jack Russell's, but my daughters boyfriend says its defective because it has too many false alarms.

I already have one defective jack russell. Only sounds the alarm when nobody is there. Dead silent for UPS, fedex, ax murderers, etc.
    Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bells View Post
    We just added the tractor supply one linked above - mighty mule. It is working quite well. We ended up having to make the wire to the sensor longer as we have a very large driveway.

I saw the mighty mule online. Do we know if I could use it without burying for a while? Our driveway is getting renovated and moved this summer so rather not bury it twice.

There are things you can get to keep deer out of your garden that spray a hose at whatever is moving. That would be your solution for the creepy peeper.
    OMG, here it is…I'm getting the giggles thinking of your lurker getting doused!!
    http://www.safepetproducts.com/scare...w#.UynZE1y0egE
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.