The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What to pay someone to help out for the weekend?

I'm thinking about going away for the weekend and I have someone lined up to come out 3 times to feed/turnout/in and muck stalls one time over the course of sat/sun. I have two horses. Thoughts on payment? I was thinking 100.00 bucks?

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

My most expensive farmsitter charged $15/visit - I had her coming twice a day to feed & water my 2, but did not ask her to muck stalls if it was just a weekend.

Horses were out 24/7, coming in by themselves for feeding - See Human = Come in For Noms.

If I was away longer I'd ask her to muck into the paddock attached to the stalls & deal with the paddock when I got home.

So, to me, your $100 seems really generous for a single visit, even with mucking included.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I got paid $50 to go out and muck 4 stalls and 2 paddocks over a weekend, it was a single visit, maybe an hour's work and personally I would have been happy to throw food/water for that price as well (they had someone else taking care of that.) I felt it was pretty generous, but on the other hand I'd jump at the chance to do it again should they need it. (I'm a pretty experienced mucker at this point too, so a less experienced person may take a longer time, might want to consider that.)

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    So, to me, your $100 seems really generous for a single visit, even with mucking included.
    It's not a single visit, though. It's 3 visits, and it includes mucking out once and feeding/turning out/turning in.

I think I would see how much, roughly, it would take time-wise and how far away the person is coming from etc. If the person is reliable and trustworthy, then yes, the 100$ seems more or less okay. Is the person asking something? Or have you asked them what they are asking?

These short term/sitting sort of jobs are more expensive and harder to find someone.

4 members found this post helpful.

I usually get at least $50 a day to feed morning/evening and to muck stalls. These are small 2 or 3 horse backyard barns. Your $100 sounds right to me.

2 members found this post helpful.

Great thoughts. Yes it's 2 stall barn and he is 5 minutes away. I really would like to use him for future jobs because it's hard to find good help. Maybe a case of beer too

5 members found this post helpful.

I'm a responsible, reliable adult and my time is valuable. I think $100.00 for what probably amounts to a couple hours of work is reasonable. If he's good and reliable it's worth paying a little bit more for the peace of mind.

I'd do it and since I think that what you're paying is on the generous side I'd probably throw in an extra night check and stall picking as well.

When I was injured over the summer I was paying someone $25 per day to come out in the morning for my four horses. She fed grain, threw hay outside, turned out, cleaned stalls and watered. She would also set up feed buckets and stalls for the evening feed so all my mother had to do at night was bring the horses in and put them in their stalls, maybe top off the water buckets for the stalls that were open to the turnout. If mom wasn't available and I had to have someone come out to bring in horses at night, I paid $15 for that. The girl I hired was fantastic - she definitely went over and above what I asked her to do (cleaned under the aisle mats, cleaned and sorted the cabinet in the aisle with all my brushes/cleaning supplies, etc. She even held horses for the vet one morning when I forgot they were coming out. When I leased out one horse and he left for a different barn, I continued to pay her the same amount as she was worth every penny for my piece of mind that the boys were being taken care of (I broke my leg and was on crutches for four months).
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

1 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by Pembroke View Post
    It's not a single visit, though. It's 3 visits, and it includes mucking out once and feeding/turning out/turning in.
    D'OH!
    Note to Self: read for comprehension.
    OK - even for coming 3X and mucking once I'd still be paying $30.
    Unless your horses area PITA to turn out & bring in or your feeding program is rocket science, I wouldn't go more than $50 for the 3 trips.
    That way you establish a baseline for longer vacays

My paid farmsitter works at the nearby feedstore, lives not too far from me.
    A neighbor kid across the road has pinch-hit for the occasional late night when I stay with friends in the Big City. He does it for N/C as I return the favor.

A beer "tip" would be nice, but make sure it is appropriate - my neighbor kid does not drink.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

If this is someone whom you truly trust and are hoping to keep for future use, pay him well.

Case in point, here in CT, I charge $35 for a single visit, up to 1hr's worth of work. Price goes down per hour of work, give or take, the more hours I spend. I currently bill approx. $25 per hour, but went into it charging $18/20 depending, and it was my clients who decided I was worth more.

Famsitting, sole charge, (which this sounds as if it may be) especially since they're only 4 minutes away should be billed at $100 per day. That's where they cover chores as needed but are free to leave the property during the day to run other client's farms or attend to other business.

FWIW, I am a retired equine vet tech and am on good terms with the 5 vet clinics in our area. I recognize colic, tying up, founder, can bandage, administer injections with permission.. if horse is looking like he's dying (IM/ IV), can drive your rig or use my own, and am a lifelong horsemen. Your guy may have a less equine-y resume, so adjust accordingly.

In your case, I'd say $100/day, regardless of visits, due to proximity. If this person has any scruples, they'll hand you back what they believe to be an overage. Forget the beer. I hate being paid in booze and it's not really conducive to a responsible atmosphere -- in my jaded, cynical, age -affected opinion.

3 members found this post helpful.

I fed a neighbor's two horses for a week while she was away. I turned the horses out in her ring, cleaned and filled water buckets, mucked stalls and paddocks, fed grain and hay, and also prepped morning meals (fed by the lady's husband). One horse was recovering from an injury, so he had to be bandaged as well. Both of the horses were difficult to handle on the ground, and required an experienced horse person. I came once a day. Chores took me 45-60 minutes, and I was paid $15 per day. Your offer is more than generous!!

You know, ask yourself what is peace of mind worth to you? If you do know this person well and they are competent and dependable and you feel all will be ok, pay him/her a decent amount. The "going rate" is irrelevant IMO. What is it worth to you? Decide that, prepare a contract and go over it with the person. I farm sit frequently. My "rate" depends on what all needs to be done, how many times a day, etc. I could care less what someone else charges. I know that I am experienced, dependable and thorough. I require that folks pay me 1/2 my set fee before they go and the balance upon their return.

Wow....a lot of people on here are definitely not being paid enough for their work!! I would say $100 is perfect for the amount of work being done. I have to pay my dog sitters $50-60 per day and we have a fenced yard..no walking required.

Pacific jumper, your clients are getting the biggest bargain ever! I hope they appreciate you!!

I agree with the sum of $100. You want to make it attractive for your horse sitter to be available the next time you go out of town, so I wouldn't pay less.

Quote Originally Posted by eks View Post
    Wow....a lot of people on here are definitely not being paid enough for their work!! I would say $100 is perfect for the amount of work being done. I have to pay my dog sitters $50-60 per day and we have a fenced yard..no walking required.

Pacific jumper, your clients are getting the biggest bargain ever! I hope they appreciate you!!
    I'm sure she appreciates me, I always go above and beyond. After seeing this thread, maybe it is time to have a chat with her about her rate...

I house-sat/dog-sat/barn-sat for a week and got a coffee cup as payment. I cared for plants, took the garbage down and back up, collected mail, fed and watered two dogs and let them in an out of the house as needed for potty breaks and I slept there the whole week.

I fed and watered 11 horses. I did turn out for all 11. And I cleaned all 11 stalls 4 times during that week.

The moral of my story is to talk clearly about any and all expectations of/plans for payment prior to anything happening. My mistake was assuming she would pay me what she paid the other person who had done it in the past.
    Sheilah
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia
    And
    Sheeple Extraordinaire

IdahoRider, that was awful ---- always get it clear and in writing in advance of the assignment

I "horse sit" for a lady when she goes out of town. She used to have 4 horses but is down to 2 now. I feed, water, turn in/out, and clean stalls or pick paddocks depending if they are in or out. I also feed the indoor cats and bring the mail in once a day. I am paid $20 a trip plus a tip at the end. Keep in mind this is in Kansas, where prices may be a little lower.

I don't know if I'm overly generous but I was kind of laid up for 6 days in that I couldn't do anything heavy around the barn, like muck stalls, drag filled muck buckets, empty or fill water buckets etc. I OFFERED to pay a neighbor to come over twice/day and a 3rd time when my horse crapped in his water bucket mid day, $50/day. It was worth it to me because she was reliable and did a good job.

I may have some surgery coming up in about a month or so and I'm willing to pay a high school senior $100/day to come and stay at the house and do the horse chores and take care of the dog with feeding and walking over the girls spring break. I may be home some of that time but will certainly be happy to pay a reliable and knowledgeable person to do work I can't.

Last time I was out of town was '07 and I paid the girl that had done work for me for the past 2-4 yrs $35/day as she was also reliable. I'm sure since '07 her price would have probably doubled anyway if she were still doing the work. I don't dicker on price if I think it's worth it. After all, I can't take it($)with me!
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

I would estimate the hours of work involved including round trip travel time each visit and base my figure on that. It sounds like about an hour per visit to feed two, let them eat, muck two stalls, turn in/turn out? So maybe 1.5 hours per visit including travel time? A total of 4.5-5 hours. Your $100 figure comes out to about $20-22/hour, which sounds fine to me.

That said, I am the kind of person you want watching your horses - a responsible, experienced adult with my own transportation. I also have an adult job that pays me more than $20 an hour and is (at least physically) easier than dealing with horses! Thus, I wouldn't be very tempted by this offer unless you were my friend and I loved you, in which case I'd probably do it if you bought me dinner. You will want to keep your intended audience in mind when you set a dollar amount.