The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Volkswagen jetta TDI?

DH and I have been toying with replacing one of our SUV types with something more fuel efficient. I am highly intrigued by both Audi and Volkswagen diesels with their reported 39/40 mpg fuel efficiency. I found a 2011 volkswagen station wagon that would be in the budget. Any feedback?

Quote Originally Posted by Marshfield View Post
    DH and I have been toying with replacing one of our SUV types with something more fuel efficient. I am highly intrigued by both Audi and Volkswagen diesels with their reported 39/40 mpg fuel efficiency. I found a 2011 volkswagen station wagon that would be in the budget. Any feedback?
    My friend had a 2012 (that was sadly totaled when some bimbo was texting and reared ended her at a stop sign) she loved the car, never had any problems with it. She got any where between 39-46mpg!

We had a Jetta diesel. It spent more time in the shop than on the road. It also did not get anywhere near the mileage that it was supposed to.

2 members found this post helpful.

We have a 2011 (I think) Golf TDI. DH regularly gets 40+ mpg in it. He commutes in it and he also takes it on the driving track. The torque makes it great fun in the corners.

Reviews of the 2015 Golf TDI are seeing 50+ mpg (New York Times test). The Jetta has the same engine so won't be terribly different in terms of efficiency.

We had a Jetta in the 90s which was a huge piece of junk, but the quality on the current Golf is miles above that. The Jetta was built in Mexico and the Golf was built in Germany, if that has any bearing on anything.

Jetta's are junk. Mine was a gas turbo and I had nothing but problems and my tranny was going to die before I traded it in. Also parts and labor are expensive. I like the audi's but have heard they have the same expensive part/labor issue to since they are foreign.
    I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!

I love my Suburban, but I spend $400 to $500 per month to feed it, and that's with gas prices having dropped. DH doesn't like his Tahoe, so he'd get the Suburban and I'd get the wagon. Corgi collection would fit just fine. I'm horseless right now (and okay with it) but I spend a fair bit of time and mileage travelling for agility training.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Check your locality to see what service options exist for you. Where I live, most European car owners take their vehicles to specialized shops or the dealerships for their maintenance because only they know the ins and outs of servicing those makes and models.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

3 members found this post helpful.

Fortunately, even though I live in a small town, the larger town next to me does have a place for European cars. There are definitely parts of Maine where I would be hard pressed to find a mechanic.

We bought a VW Golf TDI last December and absolutely love it. We have had no issues whatsoever with it, and it routinely gets 40+ MPG. All that, and it is super fun to drive plus with the hatch back model it holds lots of stuff.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

I have a 2012 sportwagen TDI and love it! Fun to drive, gets crazy good mileage. It does have really low clearance though so I grab the truck a lot in mud season and after a heavy snow. I plan to get snow tires this year, but did fine without them last winter. It would be perfect if it was 2" higher or so.

I have not had any problems with it yet.

ETA- since I had never heard of this before I moved here- they do not plow residential streets. They just figure it will melt soon enough or the trucks will pack down the snow- and it is usually fine- unless you have to be one of the first ones out after a snow.
    Last edited by 4Martini; Sep. 15, 2014 at 03:41 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.

Is the VW CPO?

I have Audis; while reliability is now excellent with these later models, they ARE expensive to service when they are out of warranty. However, sounds like you have a good indy shop near you, so it may be a moot point.

I LOVE the wagons- I think you go ahead and snatch it up

I have a 2004 Jetta TDI with almost 200K on it that I absolutely love. It has had very few repairs done to it, I basically just change the oil and fill the tank with diesel every 650 miles and keep on rolling. I average about 45 mpg with a 5 speed. The only thing I really would change about it is a 6 speed would have been awesome!

I have used this car HARD- I make farm calls for a living and this poor car has been in and out of more farm lanes than you can believe. Plus at one point I was driving 1500 miles a week.

I have a nephew who bought a 2010 Jetta TDI and he loves his. This my fifth Jetta and my third diesel Jetta. I expect this one to last me for quite a while longer but I would replace it with another Jetta TDI in a heartbeat.

The reliability issues are pretty much solved in the recent models. VW certainly earned it's reputation for quirkiness way back when, and have been working on digging themselves out of it since, but there's nothing that would stop me from buying one made in the past five years or so.

VW and Audi are the same company, and you will find basically all the same engines and inner workings shared between them. You will get significantly more in terms of creature comforts in the base-model Audis, but the upper trim VWs get pretty darn nice as well.

They are slightly more expensive to service than some of the other makes/models. If you have an Audi, know that most VW parts are identical, just branded differently. If you have a savvy, trust-worthy, honest foreign make mechanic, he'll be sure to let you know that.

For what it's worth, I drive a 2015 Honda Fit which is a regular gas engine hatchback and I average 42mpg and do a fair amount of sitting in heavy traffic.

I would buy a smaller gas engined vehicle right now given that the mileage difference between gas and diesel is now much less and there is an upfront premium to purchase a diesel powered vehicle as well as a significantly higher cost per gallon for the fuel itself.

It costs me $28 to fill my car from empty and I get roughly 400 miles to a tank. If the same car took diesel (and got the same mileage, which it would) it would cost me $4 more, which doesn't seem like a lot but depending how much driving you do, could cost you and that doesn't include the additional premium to purchase a diesel or a hybrid in the first place.

Hum, I sure hope they have changed their ways. My inlaws have a whole fleet of VW's (Turbo Bug, convertible bug, Jetta) and they are JUNK. Just a damned nightmare to own.

A never ending parade of problems from the small (electrical - good luck at ever getting the headlights and tail lights to function properly) to the big (like having your rear axle fail on the freeway).

Transmissions, sensors, radiators, master cylinders, window motors, wheel bearings, convertible motors, axle..... the list of failed parts goes on and on. The repairs have climbed in to the 10's of thousands.

Did I mention that all of these cars have less than 80K on them? and that they have been dealership maintained to the T?

As someone who owns a mitsubishi with 240,000 problem free miles on it. And has three Toyotas in our family with well over 300,000 and no major (heck even minor) repairs - seeing the garbage VW turned out is STUNNING.

Sister-in-law lives by a new motto "Friends don't let friends buy Volkswagens"

Maybe they have cleaned up their act - but after personally having to deal with the huge number of totally unacceptable (and expensive!) issues these cars have - I WOULD NEVER, EVER OWN ONE.

And in my experience - parts and work on a VW is exponentially more expensive then work on a Japanese or American car.

Heck - even changing the battery (which needs done often due to a slew of electrical issues) is a PITA - in the Beatle - you have to remove a front wheel and drop it down from the wheel well (who the hell does that?!?).

When my friend's Audi broke down (again... usually electrical or cooling system - tows to the specialty shop are fun!) - I discovered the battery was under the rear seat - again, WTF?

I have a 2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (diesel) and I absolutely love it. Never had a problem, and I have gotten as good as 52 MPG on my trips from Sacramento to Portland, OR. (Bonus: the engine says, "What mountain range? I don't feel any mountain range...") I average about 41 MPG on my general driving, but if I'm stuck in pure city crap, it will drop to 36 MPG.

The interior is quite comfortable and fits five plus room for two dog crates in the back hatch area; or four people, one dog crate and a vacation's worth of packing in the hatch; or three people, two dog crates and a dog show circuit's worth of packing in the back...

Good car...
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

I am still driving a 2001 VW Jetta TDI that is up over 270k miles and still getting about 50 mpg. No major repairs (touch wood). My husband and I are thinking of getting rid of it after 300k, but it is so dang cheap to drive, and, like cutter99's, it has been some godawful places.

I used to have a jetta and my mechanic only worked on VW, he always said the gas ones post 1995 are unreliable and not worth the money, the diesels are a completely different breed because they aren't made in Mexico. I can't say for sure if this is still true but anecdotally it seems to hold up.

I've had two Passats and love them- especially my 08 turbo which my lucky 17 yr old stepson now drives. I had a 2012 Jetta for about a year and then upgraded to the Passat. I prefer the Passat as it's a heavier, more solid car. I did have some issues with the Jetta handling well in the snow, and it's an overall lighter and somewhat tinny ride compared to the Passat. The price difference is not that much and I think you get a more solid car with the Passat. But I love VW. They are stylish, yet just a bit quirky and that appeals to me.

After my experience with a Toyota, that one goes to the bottom of the heap in terms of expensive, many repairs, and not nearly as fun to drive. I wouldn't ever buy one of them again.

We got the manual six speed on the TDI, which does add to the fun.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com