The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Replacing Everything

I'm doing my best to find the upside of having to replace everything. I would love to hear about your favorite products from brush brands to lunging equipment. Other things I will eventually want to repurchase are spurs, clippers, bathing supplies, basic medical kit, etc.

I am holding off on true tack until I am in the position where I have a horse but it seems safe to start slowly picking up items that can be used on whatever horse someone is kind enough to let me ride.

Perhaps some trainers or exercise riders wouldn't mind weighing in on what items they feel are essential when they do not have the same set of rides day to day.

What are your favorites?

4 members found this post helpful.

Maybe get ahold of plain as bay eventing. She had to do this just last year. Hugs

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    I'm doing my best to find the upside of having to replace everything. I would love to hear about your favorite products from brush brands to lunging equipment. Other things I will eventually want to repurchase are spurs, clippers, bathing supplies, basic medical kit, etc.

I am holding off on true tack until I am in the position where I have a horse but it seems safe to start slowly picking up items that can be used on whatever horse someone is kind enough to let me ride.

Perhaps some trainers or exercise riders wouldn't mind weighing in on what items they feel are essential when they do not have the same set of rides day to day.

What are your favorites?
    So glad to hear you are starting this journey. More hugs to you...

As for brushes, it seems that Bit Of Britain has a nice deal on them about once year. I took advantage of it (I think it was 50% off) to get some Legends brushes. Nice and not crazy expensive:

http://www.bitofbritain.com/Brushes_s/201.htm
    Nothing with horses is ever easy or cheap. And if it is, you're doing it wrong. They always rip out part of your soul when they leave. I guess that's how they find us later.

I'd probably avoid buying brushes until you are back with your own horse. New bio-security thoughts say brush set for each horse and don't use on anyone else to keep any germs to yourself.

Best luck to you going forward.

I'd start with the rider items first as you are going to be needing those sooner then brushes until you feel ready to acquire another personal horse.

Thinking on what's in my trunk, spurs, half chaps, gloves and a lunge line ( I like the cotton ones with not too big a snap so you can run it easily thru bit or halter rings). That's a good place to start, I think. Fun to shop for that stuff, not going to stir up memories that still need more time to rest.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Hugs.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

1 members found this post helpful.

I too would invest in my own helmet, gloves, breeches, etc. first and go from there.
    best wishes.

Thanks for the input. I'm doing my best to try and make this in to an adventure rather than a needed replacement of what was lost. I might as well make lemonade with those lemons.

I bought a pair of Treadstep Donatellos and an ovation schooler. Since I keep breeches at home, I have breeches and polos. I do need to replace my belt (why on earth I left it at the barn, I will never know) and spurs.

Any recommendations for a sturdy but aesthetically pleasing belt to wear with schooling breeches? My natural waist is a 23 so maybe a 25/26 for low rise breeches? I cannot remember where I got my last belt.

Tack cleaning supplies?
    I used effax conditioner, der dau boot conditioner, glyercin soap, and hydrophane. Good? Should I look into other brands?

Drive NJ- I understand not sharing brushes between horses with fungus or among barns, but is it a big concern with 2-3 healthy horses in one barn? I love grooming and some people do not have the supplies I would like to use.

Any items that you have but realistically, you never use?

Grooming Kit:
    Oster Ergonomical Brushes (my colors are Black/Blue/Grey - so I'm biased hard, soft, hair brush, mane comb & hoofpick. I do prefer the traditional blakc rubber curry to theirs though)
    Olive Oil Spray
    EquinElite Show & Shine Leave in Conditioner
    $3 Hand Towels from Target
    Fiebing's hoof oil

Bathing Kit:
    Small bucket
    Combo Brush (bristles one side, nubbies other side)
    Dove dish detergent
    Iodine shampoo
    Sweat scraper - squeegee style with the rubber
    I keep a double-end snap on mine, and snap it to my trunk or blanket bar.

Tack cleaning:
    A "cosmetic bag" (typically free with $45 purchase from Estee Lauder or Clinique )
    Glycerin bar
    Horseman's One Step
    Fiebing's neatsfoot oil
    Kirk's castile soap
    URAD black polish (or clear)
    Lexol Leather cleaner spray - for days you are in a rush
    Round sponges
    One $3 Target hand towel

Add'l horse supplies:
    Obviously spurs, as you've mentioned - whatever it is you need. I just keep one pair (lespur/bear claws) at barn and have heavy dutier ones at home for when I know I'm working on an issue.
    A crop. I prefer Flex brand.
    A dressage whip. I have no idea my "brand" - it has a heavier handle, which I like.
    A set of white polos.
    A set of black polos.
    I keep 3 simple colored pads folded in my trunk and take them home to wash at end of week. If there are washing machines at farm, you may want to keep a small container of laundry detergent.

I also keep spray deodorant in my trunk - and spray my helmet with it at the end of each ride.

My favorite belt is actually from American Eagle. I recently got a Michael Kors belt - which I love (again partial though, bc my initials are MKO .. his logo!). I like a really supple leather.

Rider supplies -
    I love my Ovation Schooler and wear it more than my CO - so good choice!
    Gloves - I prefer the Ariat Tech Grip or the Roeckls. But I get tired of spending $$ on Roeckls that I constantly am losing.
    Hair nets, hair ties.
    I also keep a pair of boot socks in my trunk for those days I come straight from work and was wearing flats/heels without socks

I hope this helps you!!
    TIMBERRIDGE SPORTHORSES:
    www.timberridgesporthorses.com
    --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
    --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred

Go ahead and get one of those soft, rubbery curries in a pretty color and some brushes...and I like the pumice block for shedding. Don't see an issue with 2 or 3 known horses and a glug of Clorox in a bucket of hot water is easy and cheap. Ah, get yourself a bucket for that and tack cleaning with a double ended snap for hanging.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Ask the owners of the horses you are riding about whether they are ok with you using your own grooming kit--they may be ok because it's the same barn, but maybe not.

When I went from owning a horse to catch riding last year, the things I was actually toting around with me were my gear -- helmet, boots, breeches, crop/stick, belt, etc. The only real brand preference I have there is the Roeckl Chester gloves; I don't buy anything else.

I also kept a pile of clean towels in my bag and a tack cleaning kit (small bucket, glycerine soap, Passier Lederbasalm conditioner, sponges).

I usually brought along my own saddle pads, which I did not share between horses. This way the owners' pads stayed clean for their use.

Otherwise, I used the owners' equipment. Among other things, it was easier than trying to remember that X owner insists their stuff gets used, by Y and Z owners don't mind if brushes are shared, etc.

You could use this to your advantage, actually. If the owners have different types of lunge lines, see whether you prefer cotton to nylon, one length over another, etc. Use their brushes and see if you actually like a certain type (e.g. although many people rave about the Epona shedding flower, I'm totally ambivalent about it as a curry tool in general and fail to see the appeal as a shedding tool--I much prefer a traditional flexible shedding blade).

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost both my horses last year, a few months apart, and while the circumstances were not at all the same, I know how hard it is to pick back up and get back in the saddle. It helped me a lot to catch ride for a while, so I hope this will also help you.

I hope you find lots of rides to keep you busy … I can only imagine how hard it is to make that lemonade, but you GO GIRL! Proud of you… <<<hugs>>>>

So proud of you.
    I wish I had your gumption. I would probably still be in bed with ice cream.

I love my OneK helmet. It is very breathable and comfortable, and it has a changeable liner. Also, my new favorite this is my Real Women Ride Hairnet. I have so much hair, and it keeps it all up and tidy in my helmet.

I love hoof-picks with the brush on the back, metal curry's for the shedding times (or a shedding brush). A pair of rubber bells are never a bad idea. I have been lusting after a TS Quilted belt or one of these This website also has some neat, fun belts. I'm also a huge fan of my soft touch spurs. I can use them on the most sensitive horses without them over-reacting.

OP- sent you a private message!

All these years of riding, and I keep going back to an old black leather braided belt. Like this one: http://www.marystack.com/lanai-braid...Fa47Mgod9XwAxQ

This one looks pretty cool too: http://www.doversaddlery.com/bristol...FeZAMgodYxsAEw

Mine is more like the second one -- you can adjust it anywhere you want it. I avoid buckles that will scratch my saddle (I don't really like wearing the buckle on the side).
    Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

Quote Originally Posted by bathsheba8542 View Post
    I hope you find lots of rides to keep you busy … I can only imagine how hard it is to make that lemonade, but you GO GIRL! Proud of you… <<<hugs>>>>
    THIS^! You are the living personification of Rudyard Kipling's poem, "If." Truly an inspiration and proof that we never, ever get horses out of our system no matter what. Here's to your plan for catch-rides, and all the best with shopping!

For tack cleaning pick up some Higher Standards products. They're on Etsy and there's a huge review thread in on the of the forums here. It smells AMAZING and cleans super well. I've bought a bunch of gifts for friends, too.

2 members found this post helpful.

I'll second the One K helmet (I have the Defender Pro model and it has a drop down sun visor glasses) and Higher Standards Leather Care. The HSLC balm, in my opinion, is superior to Effax and you can't beat the awesome scents for the saddle soap (which also work really well to clean leather).

Thank you for all of the suggestions and words of encouragement. I find peace thumbing through dover magazines, comparing brushes, and planning. I've also been loving on one of the retirees out at the barn who appreciates grooming the way my mare did. Turning on music and and getting lost in the grooming process while a horse doses off is like a little slice of heaven.

I will run it by the owners but I don't think anyone will mind as long as I wash brushes regularly and keep an eye out for any potential funk. Some of the horses I have in mind have owners who cannot get out regularly so I think help during the shedding season will be appreciated.

Halt: Thank you for the suggestion about trying out different items. That is a really good idea. I was so used to my items that I don't know if they were actually the best fit or just what I was used to using. Do you have a preference?

Does anyone have thoughts about a good surcingle, cavesson, lunge whip, and side reins? These are obviously pricy and not needed right now but I'd like to browse options and put them on my dream/someday list.

Does any company make knock off soft touch spurs?

Thank you for the PMs. They are really appreciated.

I love my ultimate hoof pick. I would replace it immediately if I lost it. Personally, I prefer natural fiber brushes, but my 4yo daughter has a set of purple brushes she loves. When she's not at the barn I borrow her flower shaped curry- it really works great.

I have a retiree so I don't ride much, but used to have a saddle pad problem. I love buying them. I am also a rein snob, i might buy a bridle if I started riding a horse a bunch and didn't like the reins. Oh gloves too!