The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's with the "database error" issues?

I'll be happily tooling along in the BB and then when I try to go to a new page n a thread I'll get the above message.

OK. Not a deal breaker - it just means that in frustration I'll click to another website and leave COTH for awhile. But it's really annoying. And is not infrequent.
    Only one cat - must not be totally crazy yet!

7 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

The COTH website and forums have been having erratic outages for over a month now. I don't know what the cause is but there have been big network assaults going on lately against US webhosts and telecoms that have caused outages in commercial clouds like the one used by this site and then there's the snowstorm problems to boot.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

'Splain "snowstorm problem" please. That's a new one to me. If I were accessing by phone, on my end maybe. But I would imagine their hardwired.

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    'Splain "snowstorm problem" please. That's a new one to me. If I were accessing by phone, on my end maybe. But I would imagine their hardwired.
    Because if the power is out at the server facility, the sites hosted on said servers are down.

1 members found this post helpful.

You wont get a server error with Coth banner or wording, especially not with a db error. Youd get a plain 404 website not found. A very specific, branded wording means Coth is still up. Perhaps the database server is located in a different facility than the website calling it.

The database just went off line.
    Pinged the ip address, yup ip responds.
    Tried addressing it by ip(http:ip_address).
    No joy.
    Did a trace, and it was taking 13 hops and died at.. Nameserver at Amazon, wtf.
    Its back, but I dont think its a dos attack, IP was up, just not the web.
    Its pretty amazing it stays up as much as it does, given its available 24 a day.
    You must have excellent an backup system, that doesn't slow performance when running.

Tons of them today. Don't you guys know I am on stall rest? I may have to start cribbing if the forum doesn't start cooperating!

15 members found this post helpful.

same here - site hasn't been working for me for most of the day

4 members found this post helpful.

Come on COTH! You're making me have to be productive!

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    same here - site hasn't been working for me for most of the day
    Same for me today.

I've been getting this a lot lately too... although it seems to happen only on my iphone & ipad, not on my PC/laptop. Wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by EmJ628 View Post
    I've been getting this a lot lately too... although it seems to happen only on my iphone & ipad, not on my PC/laptop. Wonder why?
    Today, it's everything. Looks like major server errors in COTH-land....
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

It does seem to have something to do with snowstorms though. Been off and on all day here and I was wondering if it would even let me log in.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Because if the power is out at the server facility, the sites hosted on said servers are down.
    Sever facility should have an uninterruptable power supply (UPS).
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by EmJ628 View Post
    It's been happening on my laptop all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Sever facility should have an uninterruptable power supply (UPS).
    Or should be set up for failover.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Lots of things can be happening at the hosting facility. Most likely there's an issue with a router; it can also be a denial of service attack or a piece of hardware going bad.

As for uninterruptable power supplies, let me tell you about the time when we quizzed the vendor about that in advance of a possible flooding event and they swore none of their critical infrastructure was in the basement.... Oh. Except as it happens, the FUEL SUPPLY for the generator, and the pump to get said fuel to said generator.

Shit happens when you run network infrastructure and I'm sure someone is having a very unpleasant day over it. COTH is important to us for sure, but it's not like it's truly mission critical (I know!!!)
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Tons of them today. Don't you guys know I am on stall rest? I may have to start cribbing if the forum doesn't start cooperating!
    Just don't take up weaving or stall walking! Not good on the healing labrum.

2 members found this post helpful.

Hi guys! We're aware of the issues with site offline message and outages and we're trouble-shooting and working on it.

Thanks! Molly

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    As for uninterruptable power supplies, let me tell you about the time when we quizzed the vendor about that in advance of a possible flooding event and they swore none of their critical infrastructure was in the basement.... Oh. Except as it happens, the FUEL SUPPLY for the generator, and the pump to get said fuel to said generator.
    Which is why it's never a bad idea to tour/check out the vendor's hosting facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    The COTH website and forums have been having erratic outages for over a month now. I don't know what the cause is but there have been big network assaults going on lately against US webhosts and telecoms that have caused outages in commercial clouds like the one used by this site and then there's the snowstorm problems to boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    My guess is COTH is not set up with a redundancy power supply, which costs extra money. Makes a good cause for for us to upgrade to Premium and support the ads.

Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Has anyone noticed this issue with database errors and a non-working site within the past week? They upgraded the database server last week, which was apparently the source of the issue, and wanted to check in to see if there were any persistent issues of this kind.

Thanks!
    Mod 1