The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by AmarachAcres View Post
    You guys make this sound so much fun but the idea of hunting terrifies me. I love watching videos on you tube but oh god.
    Most hunts in the US do not resemble what you see on the videos from Ireland. Those terrify me, too!
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

2 members found this post helpful.

You guys make this sound so much fun but the idea of hunting terrifies me. I love watching videos on you tube but oh god.
    Many of the videos circulating are from Ireland, and that is a different type class of hunting. Generally speaking no one is jumping pipe gates, cattle grates, and 4' ditches in the US.

Most hunts will have at least 2 fields (sometimes 3/hilltoppers), and this will accommodate riders and horses of almost every level and ability. Hunting can vary a lot by the type of territory/terrain, type of hound, huntsman. I've been with some hunts which feel more like a brisk trail ride.

You shouldn't let your perception of hunting, or the extreme YouTube videos discourage you! If I thought Eventinig was all about jumping obstacles at 4* Rolex, I might not be inclined to try it either

2 members found this post helpful.

I have purchased several items from this guy http://www.thehuntingshop.co.uk/ He also has a FB page which is quite popular.

Most everything he has for sale is excellent quality, gently used, and some is bespoke. He also carries beagling attire which is a real godsend as it is hard to find in the US.

For those who hoard canary and rust breeches; he can have those custom made for you for about 200$.

Another excellent source of attire is http://www.huntingstockmarket.co.uk/ I've seen their products at the hound show - excellent quality for a good price.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

1 members found this post helpful.

I had actually seen 2 tweed coats at consignment shops that I thought looked like cubbing wear with a little tailoring - but passed them up! thinking I didn't want to look "off".

I think it depends on the individual hunt. Our hunt is fairly sedate, and typically most hunts offer a second field.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseTree68 View Post
    I am new to COTH but not new to fox hunting. As a teenager I hunted with Rose Tree Hunt Club in Rose Tree, near Media, Pennsylvania. I hope to eventually get back to hunting.

Fox hunting is not an inexpensive pursuit (pun, groan). One place to start is to order, thru the COTH website, RIDING TO HOUNDS IN AMERICA - An Introduction for Fox Hunters by William P. Wadsworth, MFH that was published by The Chronicle in 1987. After reading this booklet, reading this
    and other COTH threads, asking questions and sharing ideas, you CAN significantly reduce your costs, particularly by avoiding some of the good in theory but bad in practice ideas that come up.

Good Luck to all those that can hunt, weather permitting. Also, Good Luck to those who are not currently so fortunate.
    Hmm, I was boarding at Rose Tree in Media beginning in 1965. And riding with Carole & Buck Heller. Did you have a horse there? Perhaps we know each other!

Well I bought my 'first' hunt coat off eBay last night!! Found a pretty tweed hounds tooth jacket for a steal of a price.

I also found a nice flat hunt bridle but am holding off on it for a while since we are in the middle of fencing and the savings account is decreasing daily...

3 members found this post helpful.

Newmarket Dehners! By the measurements, too small for me. besides, as a beginning foxhunter, I think showing up in flashy newmarket boots would be a bit much. But someone will love them:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/151250721545...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

1 members found this post helpful.

Default Rose Tree in Media

Thanks for posting Dispatcher. We may know or know of each other.

I boarded at Rose Tree, probably from 1958 to 1964. My name back then was Pat Ridgway. I knew Carole and Buck Heller. I bought my heart horse Battlezac from Buck. "Tiny" was by Abbezac out of Buck's mare Sky Battle.

I'm on my second marriage and only use my nickname within my family which makes reconnecting with some old friends more difficult. I haven't seen Carole since the 60's. Are you still in contact with her ?
    "when in doubt, try to do the obvious" - anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by RoseTree68 View Post
    Thanks for posting Dispatcher. We may know or know of each other.

I boarded at Rose Tree, probably from 1958 to 1964. My name back then was Pat Ridgway. I knew Carole and Buck Heller. I bought my heart horse Battlezac from Buck. "Tiny" was by Abbezac out of Buck's mare Sky Battle.

I'm on my second marriage and only use my nickname within my family which makes reconnecting with some old friends more difficult. I haven't seen Carole since the 60's. Are you still in contact with her ?
    Hi Pat,

I sent you a PM! I was always in awe of Sky Battle--even with her Man' O War temperment.....

Default We do know each other !

Sent you a PM. Thanks for following up on your hunch ! Sky Battle raced and was a broodmare. She was also very pleasant to ride, although, I tactfully did do some things her way. I remember her classic "shotgun" nose and just how good-looking she was ! I am glad we have COTH and were able to reconnect. Hope to see you and Carole in April !
    "when in doubt, try to do the obvious" - anonymous