The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Update post 17..Need advice, Probably should just shut up and walk away.

Being as ambiguous as possible here to protect all parties.

Horse is boarded at a barn with an older BO. Horse hurts self 3 days after owner moves 1000 miles away, delaying shipping of said horse to new owner's new barn. Horse is seen by vet, wound care administered by co-boarder/ volunteer b/c BO, being older, can't bend to wrap leg/ injury... and admittedly isn't that good at it in the first place. Wound is wrapped every other day and progresses well. It takes 3 weeks to stabilize, but..

Injury requires surgery. Discharge instructions are to change bandage daily.
    Bandage on the wound which consists of abdominal pads, cling gauze, expandover, elasticon, then a stack wrap of bandage cottons, brown gauze, vetwrap, and more elasticon. Co boarder wasn't being paid for previous wound care because it was thought to be short term, and going every other day was not an issue. With daily bandage changes, co boarder wishes to charge, nominal daily fee to horse owner.

BO says he'll do it. For free. BO can't bend, doesnt' wrap regular shipping wraps that well to being with, and the concern is that injury won't heal properly with BO handling the wrapping, undoing the expensive surgery, setting back healing further.

BO is a proud man and has spent his life working horses, but his horsemanship is somewhat an issue of debate.

Vet has seen BOs wrapping skills. Vet has seen co boarders' wrapping skills. Does vet imply whom she wants wrapping horse to horse owner? What does co boarder do when wound does poorly/ ruptures/ becomes infected due to poor wrapping skills?

Horse owner is corporate and flies to many countries during her work. She just sold her house through a corporate relocation program (was solicited from another company, hence the move). Horse owner is claiming poverty from initial injury and subsequent surgery, which is why BO is saying he'll wrap for free.
    Any input, observations welcome.
    Last edited by Sansena; Mar. 5, 2014 at 08:29 AM.

?? volunteer to help wrap the horse and help BO , treat it? Sounds like a good idea.

Otherwise, I don't understand the question perhaps.

What a mess! No wonder you need to vent...
    PA Hi-Ly Visible [PA Hi-Noon (by Magnum Psyche) x Takara Padrona (by *Padron)], 2005 Arabian gelding

Proud member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Horseowner needs to step up & take responsibility.
    If the proper care cannot be provided at the boarding barn, then horse needs to be boarded at the nearest vet hospital that can do it.

I call BULL on the claim of poverty from a jetsetting, headhunted, corporate recruit.

OP:
    Probably best for you to walk away.
    Not your horse, not your problem.
    A shame it suffers from the owner's asshattedness, but not much you can do.
    This reeks of a bad outcome for that poor horse.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

16 members found this post helpful.

Hospital charges $70/day rehab care, plus materials.
    To bring horse home, it's more like $25/day board plus wrapping materials.

I am co boarder. I was going to charge $15/day to re wrap/ handwalk horse.

4 members found this post helpful.

First get the an agreement in writing.

Materials, time and expertise are invaluable.

Make sure the horse does not leave without your bill paid.

Owner is lucky that a willing, able person is stepping up.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

7 members found this post helpful.

I recently boarded a horse that hurt itself on my property not once, not twice, but THREE times requiring wound care which I took care of. (FWIW I've kept horses on this same property for 21 years and in all that time I've had a total of three injuries needing care, this horse managed to hurt herself three times in three months!) I know, it's a LOT of work. 15 dollars a day is a bargain! Owner should jump on it.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

6 members found this post helpful.

You will also need a complete release of liability from the owner. Just sayin'

9 members found this post helpful.

Vet has seen BOs wrapping skills. Vet has seen co boarders' wrapping skills. Does vet imply whom she wants wrapping horse to horse owner?
    If vet doesn't want to recommend person A over person B, there is not much to be done.

What does co boarder do when wound does poorly/ ruptures/ becomes infected due to poor wrapping skills?
    Not co-boarder's responsibility ...
    but ... take photos & send to owner & suggest vet be called?????

Quote Originally Posted by Sansena View Post
    I am co boarder. I was going to charge $15/day to re wrap/ handwalk horse.
    more than reasonable fee
    but horse owner has made their call, you need to just step back & walk away ... you cannot win in a game where you care more than an owner.
    It's possible that horse will heal fine despite less than stellar care - just keep fingers crossed.

2 members found this post helpful.

I must be a sucker. I probably would have just continued to do it for free. I would expect the BO to do the handwalking but I would do the wrapping/wound care.

As for the owner and her money issues - we never really know what is going on financially with other people. You don't know what other expenses she may be faced with. Her jetsetting is paid for by the company she works for so it isn't really fair to assume she has tons of money. I know plenty of people with the accouterments of wealth who are having trouble affording them anymore. This economy did a number on plenty of folks.

I would do it for free, minus the daily commitment. EOD was okay because it fell into my routine for my own horse, no problem. But I've got hella other obligations at this point so that $ would cover my gas/ time to make a special trip daily.

On the days I worked the barn I wasn't going to charge since I'm there anyway.

Dumba$$ me falls in love too quick. And it's not that the horse owner is being an asshat. I sincerely believe she just doesn't know. She's been tremendously lucky with this horse on a budget (aren't we all who are budget wise horse owners).

Add to the mix the fact that I genuinely LIKE all parties involved and don't want to jeopardize my relationship with the BO, and I sincerely feel horrible this horse owner had this happen. Can you imagine settling into a new home several states away from your horse, only to have this happen?

But as I said, my life presently is taking me to different ends of the county which would mean I'm either there at 7 - 8p or 6a to fulfill my obligation, should all parties agree.

2 members found this post helpful.

Why don't you just split the wrapping with the BO? Do it every other day. If he wrapped THAT poorly, I suspect the vet would say something. If you split the wrapping, the horse gets a good bandage every other day while you are there anyway. Phrase it to BO that you are helping out and like to do this kind of thing.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

8 members found this post helpful.

Sansena: sorry, didn't realize you were the co-boarder.
    You are a good friend to do this, but I'm sure you have the horse's interests in mind.

Sorry, but I still feel the owner needs to suck it up and pay the vet fee to have the wound looked after properly if between you & BO it does not heal as the vet would like to see.
    That is going Waaaaaaay Above & Beyond anything I'd expect from a shareboard or a BO.

FWIW I'm no stranger to a need for this level of care.
    I paid a barn worker $10/day to wrap the post-surgical knee wound my TB had on the days I could not make the 80mi RT to do it myself.
    That dressing required pretty much the same layers you describe from the sterile cotton & padding under the plaster cast out to the vetwrap holding it all in place - it was a bear and took at least 30min to unwrap, clean, medicate & rewrap the whole shebang.
    I made the trek 3-5days/week and paid him for the days I could not be there due to work.

Same horse several years later had me doing it all myself - TG he was at home with me by then - when he sloughed half his sole & needed that wound cleaned, soaked, medicated & wrapped 2X daily for 8mos starting in September.
    That was a fun Winter....NOT!

As an owner you just need to do what needs to be done no matter where you are located in relation to your animal.
    If that means borrowing money then so be it.
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009

1 members found this post helpful.

Assuming the owner knows all of her options and costs for Dobbin's care, then if she has chosen to go for the free option, that's her choice. Co-boarder respects that decision, and steps back. If you choose to assist the BO from time to time to be a nice dooby, fine, but don't expect to get paid for it.

Personally, if these were my post-surgical care options, I would select either the OP or the hospital. But, it's not my horse. It took me many, many years to learn to step back and let people take responsibility for their choices and the fallout that can ensue.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

3 members found this post helpful.

this happened to me as the HO when I moved to the carolinas. except the BO didn't call a vet, a friend found my horse, called the vet, read the BO the riot act for not even calling me, called me and got my horse treated. As soon as she was cleared by the vet she was shipped down to me. She had gotten cellulitis in a hind leg. it was elephant sized up to the stifle when my friend found her.

OP, I'd get a square account and let the HO know your situation requiring some fee for covering fuel consumption and that you can take a credit card with the squareup.com account.

i'd be all over it to have someone knowledgeable and capable do the bandage changes if I were the HO.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Will the vet call the owner and tell her that BO cannot do the wrapping competently? And that OP is available todo the work cheaply and competently?

Will the BO admit not being good at wrapping? And tell the horse owner?

Does the horse owner know the BO? Owner should know that BO cannot bend and wrap well.

I agree with those who say that you should wrap every other day when you are at the barn working. You should be paid, but life is divided between the givers and the takers, so people will take advantage of those who care about animals.

I'd do it for the horse, not for the BO or the horse owner. And I'd send the owner a bill for services and materials AFTER the horse leaves. She might ignore it, but she should pay it. If she's that oblivious to the BO's condition, she needs to learn to step up and pay attention. And to pay for your services.

I've always regretted the times I've walked away from animals who needed my help. And no, I've never been paid for helping a horse in need. But it did make me feel better to help, rather than to walk away.

1 members found this post helpful.

Fabulous news Horse is back home. Discussed concerns w/vet and BO on day 3 of stay in hospital. Someone, somehow came up with the plan to have the vet come in a few days to change the bandage herself (yay! drainage slowed significantly). And instead of oral abx, they've put her on a long-acting form of Naxcel IM. This is a drug unbeknownst to me... apparently one injection lasts 3 days or so -- I'm fuzzy on the name and details.

Vet will return after the weekend to administer more abx and change bandage again. Thereafter I believe I can resume the EOD bandage changes, which I am happy to do.

It would seem, in one fell swoop I've gone from a nagging worry about this sweet little horse to knowing all will be well.

A happy ending indeed.

Yay!
    Thanks for the update - glad horse is doing better.

Naxcel is an injectable antibiotic.
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Excede is the long acting Naxcel
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    Excede is the long acting Naxcel
    YES! That's it. Thank you for reminding me.