The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Getting out from under medical bills

Help. I owe $1400 on an outpatient surgery I underwent in December with follow up the end of January. (Yes I have insurance, the balance owed is the 10% coinsurance December, the deductible for this year - which I met last month, and the 10% coinsurance plus a copay I was not informed about for January.)

I've attempted - twice - to contact the HMO's Patient Financial Services in writing. They just tell me to call. Well, I can't call during business hours because I'm at WORK and their hold times are outrageous. Additionally, they erred on billing me last summer and sent a bill I'd paid to collection. I'd previously spoken with them on the phone about the mistake and they had no record of that call. I want to have an answer / payment plan *in writing* and they refuse to do that.

They just made a mistake in billing me for a prescription - ran a check for a different amount than the amount for which the check was written. I sent them an email about that and they, again, said to CALL. I don't want to CALL.

Kinda hyperventilating here on the amount that is owed.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Personally, I'd MAKE time to call during work for a $1400 bill. Every time a bill goes to collections it hurts your credit.

There must be a time to call that's not during work. Or call during your lunch break. Or take a longer lunch break and work early/late.

4 members found this post helpful.

Why don't you just put it on a credit card? $1400 isn't that much. I mean it is but it's not worth hyperventilating over. Calm down, it'll be ok.

1 members found this post helpful.

contact all three credit agencies and contest the statements of the provider.

And about the one that sent to collections demand that it is removed from your reports

2 members found this post helpful.

Make the call - put the phone on speaker phone and wait all day if necessary - then stay late if your employers expect it, which I hope not.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I received letters of apology/statements last summer that no debt was owed from both the collection agency and the HMO - that's not the issue at this point. (Though i filed a complaint with the state insurance commissioner for how they handled THAT ONE.)

i don't have a credit card. The only debt I've ever had is auto loans.

Can't call from my work - I work with the public, do not have my own office/phone extension/voice mail, and get 1/2 hour lunch. The last time I called them, I was on hold for 20 minutes and then they got on and said they'd have to call me back. There is no option to call them after hours and leave a message asking them to leave me a detailed message. They don't take messages.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Get a credit card. This is exactly the situation they were meant for! (not living above your means, etc)
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Quote Originally Posted by Slewdledo View Post
    I received letters of apology/statements last summer that no debt was owed from both the collection agency and the HMO - that's not the issue at this point. (Though i filed a complaint with the state insurance commissioner for how they handled THAT ONE.)

Have you checked your credit reports to make sure that info' is in them, correcting the turnover to collections?

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Take half a day off--take an hour off--do something to make the call, or, get a credit card and put it all on there. Clearly, they expect you to make a call so figure out how to make it happen. It sucks, but there you have it.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

3 members found this post helpful.

send a certified letter with return receipt. Phone call won't handle anything - no proof.
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm with 'right horse' there is no record of whatever they choose say on the phone. Most co. have e-mail contacts, is that an option? If not, take off however much time you need to, and make the call. Preferably on speaker with a witness in the room. If no witness can be there, take written notes of everything said. And speak to the party you owe the $1400.00 They will hopefully work out a payment plan, and maybe a discount.

If you're not willing/able to stay on hold long enough or get a credit card--and seriously, that is what I would do, even if it meant hiring some teenager to sit there and listen to the hold music and hand me the phone when they finally had a human on the line--it sounds like you need a patient advocate to mediate between you and the insurance company.
    http://www.patientadvocate.org/help.php

http://patients.about.com/od/caringf...t-Advocate.htm

You need to make/take the time to call or even better GO DOWN there!

Write down names/times/dates and let them know you are writing it all down.

Go down there with paper and pen in hand. "And your name is what?"

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by csaper58 View Post
    . And speak to the party you owe the $1400.00 They will hopefully work out a payment plan, and maybe a discount.
    If the debt has been sold to a collection agency, they cannot accept payments... but this debt, if incurred just this last Dec/Jan couldn't be sold off that quickly...if it had there is really something wrong here.

Get a copy of the original bill and have some one with knowledge review the billing.... we have NEVER gotten a medical billing for hospital service that has been correct. Often standard expected services, if refused are billed without thought.... a pill here, something there and hundreds of dollars of charted service that did not take place have had to be removed

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

My working Life was spent in collection of Medical bills (working for Providers).

You need to find out the name of the Manager of Finanacial Services and speak directly to them. Don't waste your time talking to useless First Line CSRs.

If you have to take time off work to do so, your Supervisor should be told why and should understand the need.

You can also offer to pay a percentage of the balance due since it is a co-pay.
    Providers mark up their charges so insurance companies will pay the expected amount. They are often willing to negotiate the patient responsibility.
    If you can manage: offer 50% as PIF or request a payment plan so you can pay off the balance (asking for 6mos to do so is not unreasonable).

And finally, as Devil's Advocate:
    They may report it to your Credit Bureau, but small balances like this rarely actually get taken to court.
    They are written off after collection fails.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

3 members found this post helpful.

Can you borrow the amount from a family member to pay the bill off? Take an hour off from work and take care of this. Agree with sending a registered letter but also make the call. The longer you drag this out the greater the chance of it getting turned over to a collection agency. You need to build a credit line and have a credit card for just this kind of emergency. Go to the hospital directly and ask to pay the bill on a payment plan due to financial difficulties.
    "My treasures do not chink or gleam, they glitter in the sun and neigh at night."
    ~Gypsy saying

Would it be possible to set up a phone appointment? Can you email to get them to call you or you call them on x day at y time?

You need to take a day off and sit down with all your paperwork and call them. If they won't do business via e-mail and snail mail there is little else you can do, I would say.
    Quarry Rat

2DogsFarm is right. The person you reach first is probably not equipped to do anything other than read from a script. You need to get to their supervisor. Be nice about it, but be firm. When you reach a live person, briefly state your problem, and see what they say. If they say they can't help you, take down their name and say, "That's fine; then please transfer me to your supervisor." Sometimes they break down then and there; sometimes they will transfer you because their hands are tied. Don't threaten them; it's not their fault.

I assume you are wanting to make payments on this bill?

Honestly if you're not worried that much about your credit- I'd ignore it. Small medical bills IF they go to collections are not a huge deal.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain