The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default … And a river of CATS runs through it.

Recently in another thread in which CO's SO put the kibosh on Getting More Cats, I suggested that she take the "river of cats approach."

In her case, the household limit was 4 cats. Fine. But does that mean the 4 same cats? Or could one have a changing set of cats, a river of cats flowing through, as it were.

A river of just 4 cats-- but different cats-- is always the same and never the same.

Also, it seem to me that A Cat is fine unit of measurement. How many cats wide is your life? What accounts for bottle necks and deltas?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

Right now my river of two is dandy and I like that it is the same set. They already chew up my shower curtain, eat all the food, redo the drywall, and have impromptu jam fests at 3 am. Last night I think they set off the neighbors alarm.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

My limit is four. Their names are Roxanne, Daisy, Napoleon, Jazz, Punkie and Sasha. Holly did flow through a few years ago to her new pond.
    DH and I just try not to do the actual headcount too often. The problem is this winter has been awful. Not a lot of outdoor kitty time and every one is bored.
    So the cat that for 11 years has lived in the basement or outside has decided she must have cat treats with everybody every morning and needs lots of attention.
    The only boy kitty was one that preferred to only be outside, in the laundry room or in the spare bedroom. He has now discovered the morning treat routine and sleeping in the master bedroom most nights.
    It used to be only 4 cats would show up for the treat ritual. Now all 6 are showing up. I try not to count.

I went to NH horse sale on President's Day. DH told me I had to take Punkie and find her an alternate home if I came home with something from NH. He said we had to stay at the say count. Last time I was there I came home with the kitten, Holly. At least it wasn't a horse. I came home empty handed this time.
    I prefer to keep the same cats for a long time rather than an every changing tail count.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Funny way of looking at it.
    I like my pond to stay at 3 cats deep. so far no run off or supply....

If I had a different setup, I would consider a river of kittens, maybe...I loff kittens.
    But it would not work at this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    My limit is four. Their names are Roxanne, Daisy, Napoleon, Jazz, Punkie and Sasha

I know I'm bad at math, but...
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

6 members found this post helpful.

Umm if they're all the same color just make sure they aren't all in the same room at the same time. I passed off 7 as 3 for a long time that way once.

4 members found this post helpful.

My current river is three cats wide. Due to one slow to thaw kitteh, the river looks something like this: http://news.yahoo.com/unusual-ice-ci...170950600.html
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Oops! Wrong forum.

Do you guys mind if a river of cats flows through this one?

I'll move it if you want. But you know how that works: Whether water or a herd of cats, it will be an expensive, PITA job.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jennywho View Post
    Umm if they're all the same color just make sure they aren't all in the same room at the same time. I passed off 7 as 3 for a long time that way once.
    I got away with having 3 tiger cats, instead of 2 for several weeks. By the time my husband figured it out...she was staying.
    "Just because you have the RIGHT to do something, it doesn't mean it's the RIGHT thing to do."

Three cats here:
    -- Naku the ex-Harvard Medical School breeding queen
    -- Sam the enormous, semi-feral orange tabby
    -- Visitor, who showed up during the blizzard last year and really should be renamed Resident

plus the random ferals that view the bird feeder as a take-out restaurant.

My DH is actually allergic to cats, which will keep me from becoming a crazy cat lady (probably.) He was quite reluctant to take in Visitor, but Visitor completely charmed him and is now his cat. He does fine with OTC antihistamines, but still insists that the cats all live downstairs. I *so* miss having a cat or two on the bed!
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by jennywho View Post
    Is that like buying bays?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.