The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Oh, for the love of.... I...uh....oy. Somehow, I knew that a few posters would blame the President for the drought in California. Damn those laws. I guess the conservative farmers could have water and the law-abiding democratic ones can't. Oh, and we'll build a pipeline from the Columbia River in WA/OR to send water to the conservative folk in CA so they can continue to farm in a desert, where water is such a easy to come by commodity already, right? I mean, let's be honest, desert farming is such an easy thing to accomplish. Without dirt cheap irrigation water, there'd be no farms there at all.

Yeah, that's it! Instead of an oil pipeline, let's put dozens of people to work putting in that water pipeline! Hey, Tesoro?! Oh, BP? Have I got a deal for you!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

16 members found this post helpful.

HAH! My best pals dad (long time old school Dem and also My All Time Favorite Dem) has said for years that water and aquifer rights would be an issue.

Can't wait to discuss this in a few weeks with him.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

So, is California implementing and enforcing water restrictions?
    Thick green lawns, excessive and untimely watering of gardens, car washing, pool filling, and of course golf courses, are a heresy in a desert climate.
    Rivers are at an all-time low, and wells do and will run dry, too.
    It's a shame that it takes a severe drought to realize what should be common sense...
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    So, is California implementing and enforcing water restrictions?
    Thick green lawns, excessive and untimely watering of gardens, car washing, pool filling, and of course golf courses, are a heresy in a desert climate.
    Rivers are at an all-time low, and wells do and will run dry, too.
    It's a shame that it takes a severe drought to realize what should be common sense...
    I hope they are enforcing water restrictions. Even, here in Mass, I do not try to maintain a green lawn all through the spring/summer/fall months. We are deluged with water right now...three feet of accumulated snow melting and probably more to come. I did a quick and dirty calculation the other day and figured out that there are roughly 1 million gallons of wet stuff on my property right now. My basement will be very wet in the spring and everything will be mud. By August, my grass will be yellow. That is the way it is supposed to be! I don't fight it, I'd either be broke or hogging water if I tried to keep it lush year round. I have a friend in Phoenix who has gone with all native plantings and it works well for her...no lawn, shrub grass, cactus, strategic rock gardening, whatever likes to grow there, rather than fighting the environment.

3 members found this post helpful.

I only water my garden if it's very dry and I use a timed soaker hose.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    Oh, for the love of.... I...uh....oy. Somehow, I knew that a few posters would blame the President for the drought in California. Damn those laws. I guess the conservative farmers could have water and the law-abiding democratic ones can't. Oh, and we'll build a pipeline from the Columbia River in WA/OR to send water to the conservative folk in CA so they can continue to farm in a desert, where water is such a easy to come by commodity already, right? I mean, let's be honest, desert farming is such an easy thing to accomplish. Without dirt cheap irrigation water, there'd be no farms there at all.

Yeah, that's it! Instead of an oil pipeline, let's put dozens of people to work putting in that water pipeline! Hey, Tesoro?! Oh, BP? Have I got a deal for you!
    He He. Pretty right on. Jeese. It's ALWAYS Obama's fault!!

A lot of CA is desert climate, and the worst of it is down south (you know, rich "conservatives.") Most of us in northern CA stop watering lawns or take them out They're still putting in laws in southern CA and watering the grass on the median of the street. THAT is the problem.

We need to use those pesky laws to make the arrogant rich people actually plant what is normal for the climate, not water wasting green lawns. The last bad drought I was carrying my bath water out to water plants. I went down to LA and they were STILL watering the lawn on the median.

9 members found this post helpful.

Every municipality has their own water supply. In LA we have the Department of Water and Power, which long ago made deals for water from all over the state to insure the area's growth. Hence the aqueduct. Some areas have already enacted mandatory restrictions, but here, it's a voluntary 20% reduction. We have enough water stored for a few years of this level of drought.

As far as hay goes, the jet stream is back on action up north (where most of our hay is grown), so I am hoping that means prices won't go up too much.
    A helmet saved my life.

2015 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh, gosh, have to thank some of you for the Saturday night amusement. SO is a water rights expert, including past and current work in CA, and I read a few of the comments above to him...I was laughing, but his jaw dropped, and he said, "Do people really enjoy showing off their stupidity?!" I think he just can't comprehend that people actually believe some of the crazy stuff they are willing to post on here.

I'll leave it to you all to try to figure out who he means. I won't dive into the discussion as it is so not worth it. But thanks for the chuckles. Back to the HR side of the board for me. Crazy talk there, too, but OT truly makes me fear for the future of humanity.

6 members found this post helpful.

Horsepoor, you are making me rethink my post. What if it's stupid?!?!?

I would only correct it to read that each municipality negotiates its own water supply.

I hope you arent't laughing at that!

If you are, this article about one of the unreported consequences of the drought should being every Californian back to earth, even Tracehner (if he were a Californian):

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2..._fact_goodyear
    A helmet saved my life.

Lack of water any where is not a laughing matter. In most cases animals will suffer in drought stricken area's before people. Prices will start to raise if they haven't already on hay even trucked in hay from places that haven't experienced drought just so people can make a buck or two. People will start dumping animals and produce prices will skyrocket. What is so funny about that?
    Oh and when the drought is over guess what, don't expect hay prices to drop.If people are willing to pay three and four times more for hay during a drought then dealers will keep those prices cause what is stopping people from paying that much when the drought is over.

No one is laughing at the drought, but at the out-there comments.
    A helmet saved my life.

I just went to Palm Springs for the first time. I was blown away by the massive fountains at the entrance of each subdivision and seemingly vacant luxurious golf courses. Seeing the contrast of bare lots that were just desert next to landscaped lushness was crazy. Very odd place IMO.

8 members found this post helpful.

Hay prices will never drop in CA simply because China is ramping up their dairy production like no other. All those freighters with all that great stuff to sell at Wally world take hay back with them from CA. They take any hay they can get their hands on.

It is really sad that people place more emphasis on green lawns and golf courses than they do on food. People may not like the large fruit and veggie producers that use so much water, but at least they provide a neccessity.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saddle View Post
    Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    No one is laughing at the drought, but at the out-there comments.
    Bingo!

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Wait! Obama is to blame for the drought? I thought that gay marriage was the cause.
    The Evil Chem Prof

12 members found this post helpful.

Why is it always Obama's fault for everything? I guess someone will say he was responsible for the dust bowl way back decades ago? The fact is that water has been diverted for years so that the big farms in California can grow huge crops where no one could before the Colorado River and other sources were used to divert water.

However, there's a whole ocean out there for water. It is very expensive to use desalinization, but the salt can be taken out of the water, and then the water pumped inland to the farms. The Arabs did this many years ago so that their middle eastern nations could prosper. Didn't do them any good to have all that oil and no water, so they started taking the salt of out the ocean water. (I did my 8th grad science project on desalinization, back when it was a novel and new idea. Test tubes and heat and having the water rid of salt and impurities. It worked then and it will work now.)
    Whether you believe in climate change or believe that droughts just occur in natural cycles, or whether you believe that God brings on droughts to punish Californians for whatever sins, the idea is to find a solution to the problem without creating more problems.
    Use the sea. Sea waters are rising and getting warmer.

4 members found this post helpful.

Desalination is a band-aid, it uses fossil fuels and may also impact the environment negatively. What people need to understand is that we just can't keep wasting water the way we have been doing. Habits must change and the sooner the better.

A telling chart comparing countries' water consumption per person per day:
    http://www.data360.org/temp/dsg757_500_350.jpg
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I'm in Massachusetts, and we do have water problems in the summer from time to time, with lawn-watering moratoriums, etc. What drives me INSANE is driving past McMansions with sprinklers on full blast, with pompous signs that say "WELL WATER." So these IDIOTS feel it's just fine for them to drain the aquafers to keep their grass green, as long as they're not using town water. WHERE DO THEY THINK THE WATER COMES FROM? I want to dig up their lawns and cut their pipes.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

6 members found this post helpful.

Fresh water is a finite resource. In E. TN (where our normal average rainfall is in excess of 45") that's almost a joke. In SoCal it's about 15" and no laughing matter. The thing is they almost never get the "average." It's a "bi-modal" pattern with years alternating with significant deviations from the average, plus and minus. In E. TN we have a system of lakes and dams designed to hold water during our frequent periods of heavy rain and let is run off through the Tennessee River system in a controlled fashion. In SoCal they have a series of lakes and reservoirs that are designed to hold water during wet periods and release the water in dry periods. Yet even for us water management is critical, as sufficient flow must be maintained to permit the massive river borne commerce that is essential for economic stability.

It would be well to note that CA produces a huge percentage of "fresh fruit and vegetables" nationally. This is the healthy stuff that we are constantly urged to eat. If agricultural production is sacrificed for smelt or golf courses or any other non-food production purpose what happens then? Interesting question, what?

Obama didn't cause the drought; the policies of his administration are going to pick winners and losers when it comes to allocating a scarce resource.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    Wait! Obama is to blame for the drought? I thought that gay marriage was the cause.
    Yeah, God's mad at the US for gay marriage and abortion and because we won't establish a Religious Right theocracy.

On a more serious note - it's warped that golf courses are given preferential treatment over farmers.