The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default No federal water for California!!!!

Read this am and heard last night that federal water allotment to farmers has been denied. Bad news for agriculture. Will be interesting to see what happens. If you are a student of history, major cultural and political upheavals have occurred during prolong droughts.

I was just reading about that, too. I have NOT heard whether or not they're denying water for the golfcourses.

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    I was just reading about that, too. I have NOT heard whether or not they're denying water for the golfcourses.
    Or the fracking?
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

5 members found this post helpful.

Fracking? Are you kidding?

Farmers/ranchers are being denied water for a few simple reasons....They tend to be conservative (good Kali dems hate that). Fish...yep, smelt are being used as an excuse to destroy these farmers by environmentalists, can't risk 2" smelt for people, we have to keep our priorities straight....course, they hate businessmen also. Obama doesn't visit farmers...but he and his big supporters love golf courses...so they get all the water they want.

I think Kalifornian's get everything they deserve just on who they keep electing and the problems these politicians cause.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

16 members found this post helpful.

It's not the smelt, it's salmon, sturgeon, bass and the fishing industry.

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-c...5700250.column
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

8 members found this post helpful.

I really wish they would outlaw lawns in desert areas.

No one in the Sonoran Desert should have a grassy lawn. If you want a grassy lawn, move to Iowa.

49 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by independentlyawesome View Post

No one in the Sonoran Desert should have a grassy lawn. If you want a grassy lawn, move to Iowa.
    Agreed. There are green lawns in Nevada too! Cray.
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by independentlyawesome View Post

I agree and my mom and step dad are offenders. They live in Peoria, AZ and have grass in the backyard. I admit I think my horse's stall is only a little smaller than their patch of grass but still. They have the whole drip system and daily water thing for the grass and a few plants. The plants are all native.

How exactly is the Phoenix Open? It looked pretty darn green on TV. I can't imagine how much water that takes. Trust me I know golf courses take a huge amount of water. My father was a greens superintendent for many years at private clubs.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

3 members found this post helpful.

I was told that most of the golf courses have their own wells. I guess the feds don't care that they are depleting the aquifer.

It is a bad situation. The central valley produces so many food crops that are distributed nation wide.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

8 members found this post helpful.

Guys, don't think of golf courses-think hay and alfalfa. I think that if we thought prices were high for the past couple of years, I can't imagine what it will be like this year and next

9 members found this post helpful.

We get a lot of out hay from Oregon and Nevada.

Yeah, the denial is ALL because farmers are conservatives (huge giant factory companies.) Uh Huh. But, in conservative southern CA, they are still watering lawns. They only had 20% federal allotment last year, so this isn't a huge change.

Oh, by the way, Obama was here last week all over the news visiting farmers, Trak. Wrong again. Might want to look up some facts. Here is a picture!
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A1D0JD20140215

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    Fracking? Are you kidding?

Farmers/ranchers are being denied water for a few simple reasons....They tend to be conservative (good Kali dems hate that). Fish...yep, smelt are being used as an excuse to destroy these farmers by environmentalists, can't risk 2" smelt for people, we have to keep our priorities straight....course, they hate businessmen also. Obama doesn't visit farmers...but he and his big supporters love golf courses...so they get all the water they want.

I think Kalifornian's get everything they deserve just on who they keep electing and the problems these politicians cause.
    Your posts are just insulting. California has had Republican governors in 25 of the last 30 years.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

18 members found this post helpful.

I once saw a golf tournament on TV that was being played in china; the fairways were bright yellow, the areas around the holes (greens? You can tell i don't do golf..) were the only green patches on the course. Presumably they were the only vegetation being watered. Several years ago we were under drought conditions where i live; the local driving range was watering everything: shrubs, tees, greens, etc. Yep, we called the county and ratted 'em out.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    We get a lot of out hay from Oregon and Nevada.

Yeah, the denial is ALL because farmers are conservatives (huge giant factory companies.) Uh Huh. But, in conservative southern CA, they are still watering lawns. They only had 20% federal allotment last year, so this isn't a huge change.

Oh, by the way, Obama was here last week all over the news visiting farmers, Trak. Wrong again. Might want to look up some facts. Here is a picture!
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A1D0JD20140215
    Yes, one day photo op with the devastated farmers and then 3 consecutive days playing golf at exclusive private courses. 1 million gallons of water/day to keep green. That would water a lot of vegetables. Michelle and girls on separate trip skiing in Aspen.

14 members found this post helpful.

How nice
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes, one day photo op with the devastated farmers and then 3 consecutive days playing golf at exclusive private courses. 1 million gallons of water/day to keep green. That would water a lot of vegetables. Michelle and girls on separate trip skiing in Aspen.
    what does that got to do with anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    what does that got to do with anything?
    Just making conversation....

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by marianne View Post
    Guys, don't think of golf courses-think hay and alfalfa. I think that if we thought prices were high for the past couple of years, I can't imagine what it will be like this year and next
    People already are...I keep getting online horse auction notices in my inbox almost daily. Californians are dumping a LOT of horses.
    Proud Member of the "I Don't Do Facebook" Clique

1 members found this post helpful.

Are they ever NOT on a trip or playing on taxpayer dollars?
    Proud Member of the "I Don't Do Facebook" Clique

14 members found this post helpful.

And dumping cattle also or moving them elsewhere.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!