The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question "Permanent Solutions" - beyond standard birth control

I'm about to turn 36. DH is about to turn 49. For whatever reason I felt like I should leave my options open through 35 even though I've known for 20 years that I didn't want my own children - DH and I are in agreement, always have been. My horses and the other four-legged and feathered members of our menagerie are more than enough.

I'm ready for a long-term solution that isn't an IUD and DH isn't enthusiastic about the big V.

Talk to me about traditional tubal ligation vs Essure. What was your experience? How was the recovery? Things I should consider? Would you recommend one over the other? Why?

sorry, I can't provide any info on tubal ligation or Essure. However, I did have a hysterectomy- not to be confused with oophorectomy; where the uterus and ovaries are removed- I am only missing my uterus and cervix.

The benefits of a hysterectomy vs. a oophorectomy (for me) were perfect: no more periods, no need to go on HRT, etc.; and there is no way that I will ever get pregnant.

I realize that many may feel that a hysterectomy is an extreme measure, but it's actually a very simple procedure; and in many cases is the best option for some women. In my case, I had dealt with endometriosis for 16 years (I'm 32 now, had the procedure done when I was 31) and the treatments I was actually a candidate for were no longer working for me... and I don't want to have kids. So it took care of 2 issues at once.

If a hysterectomy is something you'd be interested in learning more about, talk to your GYN and get a referral to a surgeon who specializes in GYN surgery; and also do your own homework- find out who the top GYN surgeons are in your locale, and get several opinions before a) making the decision; and b) having the procedure done.

Another benefit of a hysterectomy- *100% effective. No woman who has had a hysterectomy can become pregnant; it is an irreversible method of birth control and absolute sterilization. (data based on the site I linked to at the bottom of this post)

Even tubal ligations carry a risk of failiure: *It is possible to become pregnant following tubal ligation. Though pregnancy after tubal ligation is uncommon (occurring in less than 2% of women),there is no 100% guarantee for any form of tubal ligation. And, should the tubal ligation fail; you have a higher chance of a tubal pregnancy (ectopic). (*data based on the site I linked to at the bottom of this post)

Essure, which, *based on a 5-year clinical data, is effective 99.83% of the time... while almost perfect based on the data collected, there is still that small chance of failure. Also to take into consideration regarding Essure and its failure/success rates is the fact that no direct comparative study exists at this present time. (*this information is directly from the Essure website, just to let you know I'm not pulling these statistics out of my ass!)

Here's a site that examines quite the spectrum of birth control, sterilization methods, potential complications, and benefits, etc.: http://www.medicinenet.com/surgical_...on/article.htm

Again, I apologize for not answering your specific questions about Essure vs. tubal ligation... I just wanted to put another option on the table for you to consider.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

4 members found this post helpful.

Had my tubes tied and LOVED it! Went in the morning to a walk out surg. center. Walked out about 4 hours later. Most of the time was spent in waking up. To tell you the truth my husband did not think I was ready to leave as I was SO out of it.

That was on a Friday and I was back at work on Monday. I just guarded my tummy area as I teach Kindergarten so......that is right where their little heads hit when giving a hug LOL.

I only took the pain pills the morning after just to be on the safe side. I really had not problems.

I was SO nice to not have to worry.

My doc was SO funny when talking to my husband. "I took them out, cut a mile off of them, duct taped the ends, flamed the ends and put a road block between them so there is NO way they will ever grow together!"

See my biggest worry was the stories I had heard of them just banding them or just cutting them in half and they grew back together!

If you do go the tubes route make sure your doc will cut out a good size length, burn them AND tie them.

Kim

7 members found this post helpful.

Tubal was easy, back to work the next day, no pain.

1 members found this post helpful.

For those of you who went the tubal route, do you already have kids? I would love to get one, but I am having a terrible time trying to find anyone who will do them for a woman that hasn't already had a child.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Reesethebeast,
    Can I ask where in Maryland you are and whom you went to? I'm a little older than you but I'm looking for the same solution. I thought a hysterectomy would leave you having a period so I just stayed on the year-round birth control. I want a solution that will let me opt out of the whole system!

Do you still get PMS? Have to take hormone replacements? Tell me everything!

Quote Originally Posted by DancingArabian View Post
    Reesethebeast,
    Can I ask where in Maryland you are and whom you went to? I'm a little older than you but I'm looking for the same solution. I thought a hysterectomy would leave you having a period so I just stayed on the year-round birth control. I want a solution that will let me opt out of the whole system!

Do you still get PMS? Have to take hormone replacements? Tell me everything!
    Your period is the shedding of your uterus lining. If you have no uterus then it can not shed, hence no period.
    With a tubal you still have regular periods. Is that what you were getting confused?

If they do not remove your ovaries, which are what produces your hormones, then you do not have to go on hormone replacement therapy.

Having a hysterectomy was one of the best things I have ever done. So glad I finally had a doctor that would agree to it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Hi Dancing Arabian!

I'm more than happy to help

I am actually in Southern Maryland, but my GYN is in Annapolis (they used to have a secondary office in Bowie, but they closed that one in 2008 when the economy tanked). I continued with this practice despite the distance because they really are that good. Especially the Nurse Practitioner (Linda Follette). Love her. Seriously.

Since I still have my ovaries, and I do still ovulate. I only know that I am because I start craving chocolate at the same time as my entirely-female office full of co-workers.

But as far as PMS, I actually haven't felt like I've experienced it since the hysterectomy; though if I do, it's to a MUCH lesser degree than before (that is to say, unnoticeable!). Which is good. For everyone who knows me. And myself. I had PMDD so, SO bad... I only slightly-jokingly told my doctor that I had Pre Menstrual Psychosis.

And no- I don't have to take HRT since I still have my ovaries. They continue to produce the necessary hormones, so HRT is not needed. I definitely wouldn't have had the hysterectomy if I were to have to go on HRT- that would have been a deal-breaker for me.

When I brought up the hysterectomy with my GYN, I completely expected her to refuse to give me a referral; much less agree that, that was the best course of action for me; since I was 'only' 31 and hadn't had any kids. But I was pleasantly surprised that after our conversation (which was very frank and honest), she agreed that a hysterectomy wouldn't be considered "radical" due to the issues I had been having and the ultimate inability to manage them. So she wrote me a referral, and I called the next day to schedule my consultation.

She referred me to Drs. Natalya Danilyants and Paul Mackoul, from the Center for Innovative GYN Surgery. They have offices in Bethesda, Annapolis, and also in Reston, VA; and they specialize in advanced, minimally invasive GYN surgeries. Take a look through their website. There is a lot of enlightening information there (i.e.; the truth about robotics, GYN conditions/treatments, their methodologies, etc.).

I will tell you, though- while having a hysterectomy is a pretty routine thing and doesn't carry a HUGE amount of risks (especially via the method that was used by Dr. D and Dr. M); it is still surgery, and still... risky.

Unlike 99% of women who have the same procedure done which I had; I actually experienced some pretty significant complications due to an infection on the abdominal side of my surgical site (vaginal cuff). I experienced 2 significant tears of the vaginal cuff- one 8 weeks after the initial procedure, and another months later... that one was a doozy. Never been in that kind of pain in my life, and long story short; the tearing of the vaginal cuff also tore through some scar tissue and adhesions that had formed (intestines had started adhering to the abdominal side of the v. cuff)... and that scar tissue and those adhesions were apparently keeping said infection 'contained' and from spreading into my abdominal cavity.

Until that 2nd tear. I was in the hospital for a week, on huge amounts of dilaudid and other serious painkillers, 3 different IV antibiotics, and feeling like I was literally going to die. My abdomen was so swollen, I looked like I was 8 months pregnant. Dr. Mackoul couldn't perform the surgery to repair the cuff/tearing/abdominal-side scarring/address the infection until I had been on those IV antibiotics for at least 3 days; in order to tamp the infection down to a 'safer level' before they could perform the surgery.

It was scary as hell. But once that was taken care of, everything was perfect.

I've been pain-free for the first time in 16 years since October of 2013, and despite the complications I had, I still know/believe that the decision I made was the right one for me.

I won't lie- I did go through a bit of a 'mourning' period after the surgery. While I knew going into it that having children would be 100000% impossible, the reality and magnitude of that fact doesn't really hit you until it's been finalized. But since I've never wanted to have kids, and I am not interested in passing down some warped genes to an unsuspecting soul; I came to a resolution with that grief in a relatively expedient manner. There's always adoption, should my biological clock ever actually start ticking (much less turn itself ON ). But the reality is, that because of the endometriosis; I more than likely wouldn't have been able to concieve or carry to term anyway; per the doctor's opinions who performed the multiple laparoscopies and hysteroscopies I'd undergone throughout the years.

I know this is getting wordy, so I'll end my post now with the following disclaimer: Despite my 'horror story,' please don't think that this is in any way the norm. Dr. Mackoul was extremely frustrated, shouting, "I've never seen anything like this in my ENTIRE CAREER!!!?!" So again, I reiterate: complications are quite rare; especially complications to the degree of which I experienced. Look into it, get a few opinions and consultations; and have a very frank discussion with your GYN. Or, call mine.

Feel free to PM me, as well. I am more than happy to answer any additional questions you may have!

And PS- My apologies to the OP for hijacking this thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Your period is the shedding of your uterus lining. If you have no uterus then it can not shed, hence no period.
    With a tubal you still have regular periods. Is that what you were getting confused?

If they do not remove your ovaries, which are what produces your hormones, then you do not have to go on hormone replacement therapy.

Having a hysterectomy was one of the best things I have ever done. So glad I finally had a doctor that would agree to it.
    Yes I think that's where I was confused

I was denied the request in the past. Maybe it's time I try again!

I had a tubal and a Novasure. No more babies and no more periods. I had it done at our local surgery center and was home before lunch.
    "The joys of motherhood are never fully experienced until the children are in bed" UK

Quote Originally Posted by DancingArabian View Post
    I was denied the request in the past. Maybe it's time I try again!
    I think because of it being SO very permanent they do not like to do them as a form of birth control. In my case it was done because I was having all kinds of issues and old enough that they were willing to believe me that I was not going to have kids. I also had to change doctors as my original GYN was very against the idea as he thought I should try all kinds of other things and removal should be my very last choice.

I did not have the mourning post surgery that Reese describes. I was happy to have that annoying thing out of me. I will say quite a few of my friends were shocked that I was having the surgery. I seem to be unique in my lack of attachment to my uterus. They were all "oh my I can not imagine not having my uterus" even though all that commented are well past the child bearing stage.

I had a tubal done two years ago at age 38....no regrets!

Had it done on a Friday and back to work on Monday. Was pretty much an all day affair but I think that is more the hospitals fault with them running behind, etc. Took me a little bit to leave once I woke up but I think that's an individual thing as to how people react differently from anesthesia.

I was sore for close to a week...not horrible sore but just tender. Most of my jeans are pretty tight so I had to leave the button undone when sitting at my desk

And no I don't have any kids!

Quote Originally Posted by tabula rashah View Post
    For those of you who went the tubal route, do you already have kids? I would love to get one, but I am having a terrible time trying to find anyone who will do them for a woman that hasn't already had a child.
    It can be done, you just have to be forceful. A friend of mine had it done at 22.

I made my husband have the big V. He wasn't really thrilled about it, but the procedure and recovery for him was WAY less than the equivalent procedure on me. His procedure was done in an on-base military clinic, in an exam room, with nothing more than Valium and a local. Easy-peesy. And if needed, though I doubt the need would ever arise, he can be "reversed" and be able to pass sperm again.

The protocol on the military base is to load the guys up with Valium and have them wait in a common clinic-wide waiting area for about an hour until it really kicks in (so we were sitting with about 30-45 other adults, kids, retired seniors, etc.). Dear Lord, I could NOT get the man to shut up about 30 minutes after taking the Valium. His "filter" was completely gone, his volume was maxed out, and I was about ready to gag him. I was so happy when they called his name and he left the waiting room!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I think because of it being SO very permanent they do not like to do them as a form of birth control.
    This. I had asked for a hysterectomy for many years and it wasn't until I had actual medical issues that I got one... wished I'd been able to have it 20 years earlier...

if you're in a committed relationship, the obvious solution is the vasectomy. This works particularly well for the "well, just in case I'll keep my options open"- you can get him to bank some swimmers before the procedure.
    Time to make the guy step up and shoulder his share of the responsibility and spare you some major surgery.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    if you're in a committed relationship, the obvious solution is the vasectomy. This works particularly well for the "well, just in case I'll keep my options open"- you can get him to bank some swimmers before the procedure.
    Time to make the guy step up and shoulder his share of the responsibility and spare you some major surgery.
    I have to disagree, in part. If you're not 100% sure I don't think anyone should have any procedure done. I don't think the obvious solution is to make the man get a vasectomy. You'll get contraception that way but you'll still be left with having a period and not everyone wants to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan & Ella's Mom View Post
    I had a tubal and a Novasure. No more babies and no more periods. I had it done at our local surgery center and was home before lunch.
    What is Novasure...can you explain? Very interested in no more of both of these!

I had a partial hysterectomy about 6 years ago-- due to issues--. I still have my ovaries and take nothing hormone wise. They were able to do it vaginally . Overnight stay, and i was back to normal in a couple of weeks. I don't know if that is something a doctor will do unless you have a problem though.

Getting your tubes tied is a pretty simple procedure and several friends have had that with no issues what so ever.

Hysterectomy was the best thing I ever did, but mine was for medical reasons. Insurance won't cover that as BC.

I agree, vasectomy is much easier of a recovery. Seems highly selfish for him to want you to have major surgery but he won't do an outpatient procedure under sedation.