The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Rachel Alexandra will not be bred in 2014 (I think that's what it says)

http://www.drf.com/news/rachel-alexa...t-be-bred-2014

Note, it does not say if she will ever be bred again or not. So, does that mean she needs more time off to recover or that she was so injured internally that more foals aren't possible or too risky?

Maybe there ought to be some sort of special dispensation for a surrogate mare to carry her foal by the Jockey Club. Hate to lose her genetic contribution (and yes I know she has two foals and full siblings).
    Last edited by FatDinah; Feb. 17, 2014 at 06:53 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't think they have decided upon forever yet but I would be surprised if she were ever bred again. Live cover is not her problem so I don't see waiving that making a difference.

By live cover, I mean make it possible for a foal with her genetics to be carried by a surrogate mare. Sorry, that wasn't clear.

I'm no breeding expert here - but I believe it would be flat out wrong to breed this mare again. (unless, of course, the JC would approve use of ET and a surrogate...)
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

4 members found this post helpful.

I, personally, would be upset if fate was tempted a third time. After all she has achieved, after all she has earned, she should not be anyone's cash cow in the breeding shed. I wish her many happy years of retirement from racing and reproduction.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 2tempe View Post
    I'm no breeding expert here - but I believe it would be flat out wrong to breed this mare again. (unless, of course, the JC would approve use of ET and a surrogate...)
    We have no way of knowing what the vets are saying. For Barbara Banke's sake, I hope it is clear cut one way or the other, either too risky to breed her at all or at some point they feel it's no riskier than any other mare.

Given how she feels about RA it would be awful to be in a position where you they're telling you that the additional risk is real but but not prohibitive and you know that high risk valuable mares are put in foal all the time.

They paid $10,000,000 for her, primarily for breeding purposes. I can't imagine any sort of insurance will ever be in play. That's a big investment to leave sitting on the sidelines unproductive for sentimental reasons if the vets ever give the go ahead.

But what a terrible choice.

If something did go wrong, BB would feel horrible. The interwebs would go bananas.

Fingers crossed Samantha Nicole turns out to be successful on the track and helps remove some of the pressure.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FatDinah View Post
    By live cover, I mean make it possible for a foal with her genetics to be carried by a surrogate mare. Sorry, that wasn't clear.
    Live cover means they have sex. You are thinking of embryo transfer which of course isn't going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by foundationmare View Post
    I, personally, would be upset if fate was tempted a third time. After all she has achieved, after all she has earned, she should not be anyone's cash cow in the breeding shed. I wish her many happy years of retirement from racing and reproduction.
    I totally agree with this. This wonderful mare nearly died having those 2 foals. She's won, and foaled, and deserved a nice long retirement. Too bad she's so famous, as she's big enough to be a nice hunter in the ring. But that would never happen with such a famous horse. And too bad Jess Jackson has died. He'd have found a way to let RA perhaps sell wine for his company in her retirement.

5 members found this post helpful.

There is part of me that would love to see her continue in "a job". Maybe she would kick ass in the hunter ring, or as a dressage mount. Why not? She is accustomed to routine and she is not a hothouse flower. She could be an amazing ambassador for ottbs! Her post racing value now should not preclude her usefulness outside the breeding shed.

6 members found this post helpful.

From what I have heard about her personality, she'd just as soon be left alone out in the field. Why not let her hang out and be a horse ? She's certainly has earned her retirement.

7 members found this post helpful.

I agree, I don't see her as having the temperament to translate into a show horse. Not impossible but not something she would just fall into easily. I would like to see her made a little more accessible to the public now though. They usually sequester broodies away but I don't see why she could have a field next to the office with a buddy or two now. They don't have to parade her like a stallion but to see her over the fence would be nice.

11 members found this post helpful.

Any possibility of doing embryo transfer for a sport horse baby? I'm sure the value of the foal wouldn't be near what it would be compared to one that could be registered with the Jockey Club, but surely somebody in the sport horse world would pay big bucks for a baby with Rachel's genes crossed with some fancy warmblood sire.

6 members found this post helpful.

There is the possibility but I see no need for it. Sport horse big bucks are scrape off the bottom of your shoe bucks for race horses.

I doubt what a foal could sell for has any bearing on the owner's decisions.
    I could see her doing it as a contribution to the sport horse community. How great would that be, a Rachel Alexandra baby competing at the Olympics in, oh say, 2022.
    Ha ha, maybe the Mosses can breed Z to a warmblood and they could be teammates!

No offense but that is ridiculous. Go buy a breyer instead

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyllsk View Post
    From what I have heard about her personality, she'd just as soon be left alone out in the field. Why not let her hang out and be a horse ? She's certainly has earned her retirement.
    What do you mean? Rachel is a puppy in the barn actually. She came through the track I was staying at on her way back from the farm, let me tell you, she is the sweetest horse in the world. Racehorse, show horse, pony, she is the nicest one you'll ever meet.

The idea of making her a show horse though, no way. That seems demeaning almost. Besides, RA is used to a VERY different "routine". No offense, but I wouldn't trust any show barn with a horse like that.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelico View Post
    What do you mean? Rachel is a puppy in the barn actually. She came through the track I was staying at on her way back from the farm, let me tell you, she is the sweetest horse in the world. Racehorse, show horse, pony, she is the nicest one you'll ever meet.

The idea of making her a show horse though, no way. That seems demeaning almost. Besides, RA is used to a VERY different "routine". No offense, but I wouldn't trust any show barn with a horse like that.
    Lol, why would it be demeaning for her to jump or event?
    I doubt it would happen, but I think it would be neat for her to be somebody's riding horse. Id rather see a young healthy horse getting exercised and doing things than just standing around. (Disclaimer: I'm not talking about training for the Olympics, just being a riding horse)

2 members found this post helpful.

My Dish TV guy is coming tomorrow, so I'm quickly copying and erasing recorded programs from the DVR.

Just watched her Haskell. Truly spectacular. Takes the turn 3 wide in 1:09 and then just misses the track record with the win.

No, kinda doubt she'd make much of a show horse. LOL But agree it would be wonderful if she might eventually be able to have visits from her fans.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I am willing to venture if never broodmare capable.again she may win a horse park retirement like cigar and other pensioner or infertile stallions. Many have found their way there to allow the public to view. Broodmares typically live out all the time in bands so having people going through all the time and exposure is of concern there. Would love for her to be visible at the horse park or better yet the resident churchill downs thoroughbred !

12 members found this post helpful.

As much as I would love to see Rachael in the show ring, she is not a show horse and from what i hear she prefers to be left alone.

I doubt she will be bred again, and Jockey Club rules prohibit Embryo Transfer so we must enjoy her two babies.

If I was to have a vote, I would say let her be at the KY Horse Park for a few years to let her fans see her, than let her come back to the farm and just be a lawn mower.

3 members found this post helpful.