The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 1 in 4 Americans Think the Sun Revolves Around the Earth

How is this even possible? What is going on with science instruction in this country (and others)?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...th-survey-says
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I'd like to know if there is a particular region of USA that the 25% comes from that think the sun revolves around the earth or is it more universal. I skim read the article and didn't see that.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

1 members found this post helpful.

I thought the earth was flat?????

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

12 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I dunno but I once encountered a local elementary school teacher who said the Earth was larger than the Sun.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

It says a 1/4 of Americans surveyed - that would be a quarter of 2200 people believe that. Saying one in four Americans (insinuating the entire US population) is wrong.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sail Away View Post
    It says a 1/4 of Americans surveyed - that would be a quarter of 2200 people believe that. Saying one in four Americans (insinuating the entire US population) is wrong.
    A properly done survey would allow you to extrapolate those conclusions to the broader population- hence why political polling generally predicts election results. But there's not enough information in the article to say whether a representative cross-section was surveyed.

12 members found this post helpful.

Our country has been moving in a disturbing direction for some time now--away from progressive policies and scientific knowledge, and back to the dark ages of religious fanaticism.

35 members found this post helpful.

"garbage in, garbage out". Poorly worded questions lead invalid surveys to inaccurate results.

7 members found this post helpful.

Unless this poll was done at some previous point, so that today's results could be compared to a previous set, it is impossible to draw any conclusions on what "direction" this country is going.

I came home from school in seventh grade with a project to prove how we know the earth revolves around the sun and my stepmother said "But, it doesn't." I am still flabbergasted.
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyoteco View Post
    "garbage in, garbage out". Poorly worded questions lead invalid surveys to inaccurate results.
    This.

For example, one of the local radio station's morning DJs love to randomly dial phone numbers and ask the person who answers some really obvious question. An amazing number of people answer incorrectly or say "I don't know." Yet, I'm sure that all of those people could answer the question properly if 1. they weren't caught off guard by the question, and 2. they understood what was being asked.

3 members found this post helpful.

From the article:

"To the question "Does the Earth go around the Sun, or does the Sun go around the Earth," 26 percent of those surveyed answered incorrectly."

Yipe, that should be pretty straightforward wording for most people, and even young earth creationists don't normally contest that idea. I'd also like to see how they chose the people surveyed.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

So?
    In another thread someone had no clue where Massachusetts was.
    Not such a big difference really. A lot of people don't know, don't care and it will never effect them directly.
    Now if you found me an astronaut that thought that way I'd be worried. Really worried.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Irrelevant. How many people think the world revolves around them? That is a more important question. And one to be more aghasted over. Stop ridiculing people over their ignorance and get to stuff that matters. Are people kind, good, helpful, loving?That matters. If your smarter than the average fifth grader show it by not ridiculing people who aren't as smart or rich or as good a rider or intelligent enough to be atheists or aren't as whatever form you want to hold against them.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    I'd like to know if there is a particular region of USA that the 25% comes from that think the sun revolves around the earth or is it more universal. I skim read the article and didn't see that.
    It would be convenient if they all lived in the same area.... that way we could put a big fence around it, or at the least some large warning signs on the roadways.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by axl View Post
    I came home from school in seventh grade with a project to prove how we know the earth revolves around the sun and my stepmother said "But, it doesn't." I am still flabbergasted.
    She was correct. The earth actually orbits the barycenter.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

And I thought education in this country was bad!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sail Away View Post
    Wow.
    You need to read up of polling and surveying. It's a but more advanced than you seem to think.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

Quote Originally Posted by HorsesinHaiti View Post
    From the article:

"To the question "Does the Earth go around the Sun, or does the Sun go around the Earth," 26 percent of those surveyed answered incorrectly."

Yipe, that should be pretty straightforward wording for most people, and even young earth creationists don't normally contest that idea. I'd also like to see how they chose the people surveyed.
    The thing is, most adults just don't ever think about these things. Yeah, they learned all this stuff in school, but then never had any reason to give it any more thought. Then, one evening, your phone rings, in between washing the dinner dishes and getting the kids' bath ready, and someone asks if you can spare a few minutes to take a survey on science education, and you say sure, why not. You aren't really giving it your full undivided attention, the kids are playing, the TV is on...

If the questioner was skilled at getting you to focus and asked some lead in questions to get you thinking about something you hadn't thought about since that solar system model you made for your 8th grade science class, you would say, "The earth revolves around the sun." But, just being hit with that question out of the blue, without having fully engaged your brain, while you're letting the dog out?

LOL, I can easily picture my sister saying, "What? Shit, I don't know. What were the choices? OK, whatever. Sun around the Earth." Even though she certainly knows the Earth revolves around the Sun.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    So?
    In another thread someone had no clue where Massachusetts was.

Link?
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-