The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pictures of your small barn on a sloped lot?

DH and I have had our house on the market to purchase land/house on more level land to bring my mare home. We had a deal on the table and it fell though.
    Given the economy, homes just aren't selling around here and I don't feel another offer is coming soon. Plus, the contract expired.
    Just a little back ground - My mare has Uveitis, right eye removed. Vet suspects it will possibly move into the left eye. I'm preparing for the worst, that she will go blind some day and in that case I want her home. I am a trail rider, no need for a ring. We have trails near our home.

She is a pony and needs to be in a dry lot, hence, no pasture is needed.
    Very independent mare and does not care if other horses are near or not. Not "Herdy" at all.

She's almost always been in a paddock area for turnout.

My plan is to purchase a 3 stall Shed-Row, and use it for an in-and-out stall. One stall for grooming, other stall for supplies, grain, bedding, etc.

Another poster mentioned, she built her barn for re-sale to a non-horse person. I hope a Shed-Row would appeal to someone for storage, lawn mower, patio furniture, etc.

Problem: our lot is a bit sloped. Percentage wise, I don't know. I took some photos and will post them soon.

I've wanted her home for as long as I can remember, do things my own way, and really miss her while boarding. With my overnight work schedule, I honestly can get to the barn once a week, which stinks.

Worked at barns in the past and have had horses my entire life and have done the work, winters, summers, raining, snowing, etc. Know a reliable Horse sitter.

Now here is where DH and I argue (daily)..... sigh.. He's flipping out saying it will cost a fortune to excavate, put in curtain drains, and other odds and ends. He also complains, since the land is sloped, it is NOT a horse property.
    Again, the area will not be huge. Something I have to stake out and measure.

I pay $700 a month for board, plus fuel and time. In my mind I'd rather take out a Home Equity Loan or Personal Loan and use part of the $700, to pay back a loan. The rest of the money for maintenance and horse expenses.

I have to get estimates for excavation, running electric, curtain drain, fencing, etc. before figuring out total expenses.

Does anyone have photos of your small barn on sloped land??

I remember someone posting a photo of a newer small red barn on sloped land, but this was several years ago.

Any photos to show DH would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You have been so committed to your nice mare over the years that you have had her. I'm sorry that her eyesight is getting worse. But I am glad that you are planning on providing for her for the rest of her life. Sometimes a pony or another horse or a dog can be a "seeing eye" animal for horses. I've seen that at barns and friends' homes. So if she does get restless and afraid being alone when you move her, you might get her a friend. Goats are good also, but they tend to get out and visit neighbors. Have you looked at the book "Horsekeeping on Small Acreage?" I think it has some ideas for slopping property. I'll have to find my copy.

Don't have any advance about sloping barns. But I do hope that you sell your place and move your mare. Then you can spend that $700 a month making her comfortable for the rest of her life.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    You have been so committed to your nice mare over the years that you have had her. I'm sorry that her eyesight is getting worse. But I am glad that you are planning on providing for her for the rest of her life. Sometimes a pony or another horse or a dog can be a "seeing eye" animal for horses. I've seen that at barns and friends' homes. So if she does get restless and afraid being alone when you move her, you might get her a friend. Goats are good also, but they tend to get out and visit neighbors. Have you looked at the book "Horsekeeping on Small Acreage?" I think it has some ideas for slopping property. I'll have to find my copy.

Don't have any advance about sloping barns. But I do hope that you sell your place and move your mare. Then you can spend that $700 a month making her comfortable for the rest of her life.
    Thank you C&C,
    Yes, she is not going anywhere.... Her eyesight is well enough to go trail riding. I've been teaching her voice commands since she was diagnosed years ago.

"Horsekeeping on Small Acreage" - Funny you should say that! I have the book in front of me right at this moment.

How did you make out driving in all the ice?

Not a fortune but is taking forever. Klene pipe "portable barn" three hole shedrow that needs anchors and DH decided to give it a foundation. Slope is little enough that cutting and filling has worked for our shop. I have to upload the pictures into Fb or start a photobucket. by the end of today. He laid gravel in the trenches to about 8 inches and poured a foot on that and then the sidewalls, then it started to snow. It'll be backfilled with large rock/smaller rock.

I've told this story 80 million times about the floor we put in our run in when I was 15 or so. Dad was a civil engineer and made me do the calcs for the size lumber for the floor, pressure exerted by one horse hoof on the forehand, standing not running.

The run in was a basic pole barn in a cut and filled space, still 2 foot of drop in 16 feet. We used rough sawn 2x12 over 2x8 on 16 centers (not sure on the centers, standard house not deck centers). No hangers, we added a beam and bolted it to the poles and laid the joists on top. It was in service for three years and in excellent shape to be reused in a household deck. Possibly this might work, where I grew up dairy barns ALL had floors so we were used to it.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Hey, Hunter! This is my area, even though we're across the country. I remember the picture of your house, and that land is flat compared to here! Until I lost him, I kept my blind Appy in a small pasture space (anything we call pasture here never has grass) with at least as much slope as yours and was able to have some kind of shelter/overhang.

From my perspective, a slope is better in a pasture space (OK, not a stall open space) because it drains and you don't get deep/muddy spots.

It seems to me you could build a useful shelter at the top of the hill so she has protection with space for storage relatively cheaply. I had one place where where it was about 12 feet across and about 40 feet long with a roof on top and two sides. We kept hay in there, had a little tack area, and there was space for the horses to come in. Sorry, no pictures. Another place we just built a roof on four posts near trees so the horses had shelter from rain. The storage area was separate from the "pasture."

Whatever you do would be WAY cheaper than what you have now. Yikes!

Also, I'm sure you guys have access to tree mulch there like we do here. The tree cutters have to pay to dump it, so they will gladly bring it anywhere nearby for free and dump it. Mulch is a super way to get a good base in without gravel. Just keep dumping it and spreading it and it will work its way into the soil until you have a really nice base. At one place I was, it was at the bottom of the hill where the whole thing drained, so a muddy swamp. Over time I must have put in four feet of mulch that soaked in. By that time, it didn't matter how much it rained, it never got mucky.

My barn is not tiny, but it's only 6 stalls and a tack room so it's not huge either. My entire property is a mix of slopes and flat. The barn is on a slope and where it flattens we have all-weather sand paddocks. It's in my sig line and you can find summer photos on the FB page, which might be more useful.

Here is our 3 stall barn on a slope. We didn't grade and put a pad down first, b/c we started with just a run in. I do wish we had made it level, but it works fine for our needs.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...ps72c62351.jpg

Before paddock fencing:
    http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...ps3f909d05.jpg

It slopes down a lot from where the horses are laying:
    http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...ps3ef6c3a2.jpg

This was it when it was just the run-in and you can see how steep the slope is:
    http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...barnsunset.jpg

The expense for site prep depends on many factors. Do you need to remove any trees? If you are going to make a dry lot that is 100' by 100', how much of that space is on a slope and what degree is the slope? Some slope is okay for turnout. A shedrow barn can be easily used for something else by another owner. Now consider where you want to put the barn on your property, any setbacks and decide what size vehicles need access to it like to bring in hay. Will you do it by the pick up truck size load or have a truck with trailer. Will you run water to the barn? Electricity? Do you have a septic field you have work around? My figures will be different than yours because of location (I'm in Kansas) but when we built a new barn the site work for a 40' by 60' barn to elevate, create slope and put a screening pad (40' by 40') outside the stalls was $2500.

Also, does your county or state have regulations about water run off and/or manure disposal? States are getting more regulated about keeping livestock if you are close to civilization.

Good luck getting this done!! I think it can be affordable and add some value to your place not to mention the sheer pleasure of having your horse at home.

Thank you everyone. I tried to Multi-Quote, but it's not working...
    Showidaho, I see you're also in CT. Are you leaving the state? Beautiful farm you have!

Serigraph, cute, cute barn!! I would love something like that! It looks quite level, with just enough slope to rid excess water.

SLW, we don't have "Horse barn" set backs in my town. Set backs are the same as it would be with a Garden Shed. Although, I have changed my plans a bit, but still can't convince the DH.

We own a building lot next door to our existing home. There is a slope going up the "Roughed" in Driveway and trees were cleared years back, although saplings have grown back. The building site is level.

The Engineer designed a plot plan, so I'd have to have him come back out to design a new plan, with a Shed-Row in mind.
    I wouldn't store hay in the barn and could easily put up a shed of some type at the bottom of the property and bring up hay as needed.

Electric may be a problem until we sell our existing home and build a home in the vicinity of the barn. Although, I wonder in the mean time, could I use the heavy duty outdoor cords and run them from our outdoor outlets to the barn? I wouldn't leave them plugged in unless I was out there; wouldn't risk a fire hazard if these were not safe.

I did buy a 25 gallon Solar Suntank which is great and doesn't freeze.

We have Well Water and Septic. Not sure how far barn has to be from Well to avoid contamination.

I just want to have an Excavator come out and give an estimate...As I have no idea of the cost. Guessing in the thousands?

Still have quite a bit of snow here, but I want to get some pictures using my Digital Camera and post them.

ReSomething; Just glad my Dad was a Plumber and not a Civil Engineer...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Huntertwo View Post
    Thank you everyone. I tried to Multi-Quote, but it's not working...
    Showidaho, I see you're also in CT. Are you leaving the state? Beautiful farm you have!
    Yes. I'm sad to leave my little farm.

Quote Originally Posted by showidaho View Post
    Yes. I'm sad to leave my little farm.
    Hopefully you'll find something as nice as what you have now...

Since you too are in CT, I would suggest that you go out this weekend (all of the snow should be melted and Saturday is supposed to be beautiful) and take a look at the water runoff. One of the most important factors when it comes to a sloping lot in a wet climate is the water. Ask me how I know . Also, it's advisable to try to find someone to do the dirtwork who knows something about horses and what they do to the land. It's hard for people to really understand how destructive horses are to the land unless they have seen it first hand. You can do a quick search and come up with a plethora of threads about MUD on horse properties. Since my barn is mid hill and then my all weather paddocks are lower we did a lot of drainage work.

Also...I just drove by The Barn Yard in Bethel and they have a really lovely shedrow for sale. I don't have any details on it, but it might be worth a glance if you are near my part of the state.

Keep us posted!!! How exciting!

If my dad had been a plumber I'd know how to sweat pipe too. He was that kind of guy.

And I promise to twist DD's arm and get those pics uploaded. what with the snow we haven't got a lick of work done but you can see the slight slope and foundation pretty well.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible