The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Change gravel driveway to asphalt?

Has anyone done this? I am concerned with creating a huge river everytime it rains. Do they crown asphalt like they do riding arenas?

How expensive will this be for an approximate 300' long driveway? Who do I call ? I am in upstate SC.

The gravel always seems to "leak" out of its side boundaries onto the grass. We have a 3 year old who wants a tricycle and of course he can't ride on gravel.

To keep this horse-related, I am tired of having to put on shoes every time I need to load my living quarters! Gravel hurts! We have cement right near the garage, but I have extended that area with gravel, and then the entire drive is gravel as well. Also, my horse has decided to have rocks stick into his shoes all the time so it seems like all I do is pick out rocks. I don't know why ... maybe the last load of gravel they brought is made up of slightly smaller rocks than before.

We did it about 12 years ago. The contractor will do it any way you want and and are willing to pay for.

Look up paving contractors in your local yellow pages.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I'm not entirely sure how long our drive is but I think it's close to your length. I'm in NC and got a quote last year of 7K to do ours.

Did this about 8-10 yrs ago. Not sure how long but I'm pretty sure it was longer than 300'. He also tore up some of the older asphalted driveway(~200') and redid it. Not sure of the cost but I'm going to say about 6-8K. Get several estimates.

They will grade your driveway whichever way you want it but listen to what they want to do first as they've done this for many years.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

We put down ashphalt recently - so pleased we did, no gravel, no grit in the cars or house, but it does not have the 'look' of a more natural substance. It rains a lot here and nice not to have the puddles of gravelly stuff.

However -- a fly-by-nighter came by and talked us into it - he didn't do a terrific job, but we knew we probably would not get it done if we did not strike while the iron was hot. We should have been more cautious, got quotes, AND references or gone to see their work.

Don't ever pay up front, either.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Get quotes and references *and follow up* on the references. Preferably ones that have had theirs more than a year. You can look in the yellow pages under Asphalt and/or Paving or you could look up your nearest quarry and ask them for a recommendation, usually we know who is good and who to avoid. That way you'll know which companies have been in your area for awhile rather than someone just passing through.

I don't see why they couldn't crown it for you, they crown the roads...
    Quarry Rat