The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone Army/former Army and/or military aviation wiling to answer some Qs privately?

I've had it in the back of my mind for many years and I'm again considering pursuing joining the military. Specifically, I'm interested in aviation and most likely the Army (As cool as jets are, I really want helos). I have some questions though and I would love to speak with someone via PM/email if anybody with experience were willing. Some questions are general military, some branch specific, and some MOS specific.

Thank you!

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Do you want to fly or work on them?
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Sorry, should have been specific. I want to fly.

what is your age and education?

23, and currently in law school but not particularly interested in JAG.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Well, assuming you are actually okay with flying, getting certified as a civilian pilot would put you ahead of any typical candidate, though they may not be interested in finding more pilots at this point in time. Do you know of any Army/Guard airfields in your area? If there is one, you can arrange a visit through the local recruiters and get answers straight from them.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

rotor or fixed wing?

I've taken some flying lessons before, have heard mixed things about whether or not being certified is always a positive. But definitely something I'm considering.

I've spoken with a recruiter, but was specifically interested in getting some information from non-recruiters. At the end of the day, it is their job to sell it.

I just thought perhaps I'd ask here in case anyone had some info and was willing to chat about it. More personal experience questions, rather than technical ones.

Clanter: rotor is my preference.

have had a flight physical?

I was accepted into fixed wing, but was one week from completing ATC school.

As to branch of service, here's a story told to me by a retired Marine:

When he was a squadron CO his 16 year old son was giving him the sort of problems that 16 year old male children usually give. One day the while standing in the kitchen the kid just blurted out that he wanted to be a military pilot but definitely NOT a Marine. "OK," said his dad, "there are lots of choices out there."

"Yeah," said the boy, "I'm going to join the NAVY!"

"That's good," said his father, "they wear the same Wings of Gold Marines do. Carrier work is the most challenging flying you can do. You'll have some long time away from home on deployment but you'll work with real professionals."

Seeing he didn't get the "rise" out his father that he wanted, the kid then said, "Well, maybe I'll join the Army." His father replied, "That's a good choice. It takes a special kind of aviator to hunt tanks while flying nap of the Earth. Or going into hot LZs to drop guys or stuff off or pick up wounded."

Still seeing he didn't rattle the old man kid then said, "Maybe I'll join the Coast Guard." The father smiled and said, "Another good choice. The Coast Guard always has to go out; then don't always have to come back.

By now the kid was really frustrated and said, "Maybe I'll try the Air Force." Upon hearing this my friend said he picked up a brown paper bag up off the counter and put it over his head!

When he first told me this story the boy was an Aircraft Commander flying a BUFFs (B-52s) out of Diego Garcia supporting ops in the Sand Box. His dad was very proud of him but kept it to himself.

Each service has positive and negative elements in their flight program. Each service has both rotary and fixed wing aircraft. Decide the kind of flying you'd like to do and make the application. There are no guarantees you'll get what you want. The needs of the service come first. IIRC you'll take a flight physical as part of the application process. If you don't pass you can walk away.

Good luck in making the right choice!

G.

CDR, USNR (Ret.); veteran VS-27, VS-30, VP-93, VT-28
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

3 members found this post helpful.

Sent you a PM with contact info for a friend of mine. She can answer a lot of your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    Decide the kind of flying you'd like to do and make the application. There are no guarantees you'll get what you want. The needs of the service come first. IIRC you'll take a flight physical as part of the application process. If you don't pass you can walk away.
    They can pretest you, after being drafted I took all versions of the fixed wing tests and ended up being straight-lined into a class slot.

At the time, they only candidates being accepted where the ones that scored above 98%, had excellent vision, had passed the flight physical and then they applicants were sorted by IQ tests. In my case, I never applied the Army just decided that was were they wanted me.

My guess the cost of training either rotor or fixed wing would exceed a million to two dollars these days so the competition is great, the selections choosy with a mind set to get all through the training.

You are welcome to PM me and I'll pass along DH's number. He's an Army recruiter, but since you know that he you are not one of "his" to "sell" anything to, he'll be frank and honest with you about the process (he always is anyways, but just saying). His packet just got picked up for Warrent, and he is hoping to fly roto wing (Chinook's, if he gets his pick since they are/did do away with the Kiowas - boo!). I actually started a thread about it (should I stay or go) and a lot of posters have chimed in with good advice.

Listen to G. He's a really, really smart guy and has a lot of good advice to offer. I believe the other poster that is a good resource is Jexa (is that her name?). Hopefully she will see it and respond. She went through flight school and gave me some great advice. JanM is also an amazing resource.

OP - please listen to the veterans and the others who have offered to put you in touch with the right people.

I'm a veteran (USAR) but I can't offer you any practical advice about being a pilot.

But I can tell you that people who have been in or are connected to the service will be of more assistance to you than a non veteran.

I hope everything works out for you!
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Well, assuming you are actually okay with flying, getting certified as a civilian pilot would put you ahead of any typical candidate, though they may not be interested in finding more pilots at this point in time. Do you know of any Army/Guard airfields in your area? If there is one, you can arrange a visit through the local recruiters and get answers straight from them.
    Lex, where are you getting this information from?
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

While I can't answer flight specific questions, I can answer general ones. I'm AD Air Force but work pretty normally with the Army, we support a special forces group where I'm located. I will say, if you here a recruiter say go enlisted and then apply for OTS go find yourself another. I have several friends that ended up in that situation and guess what, they're still enlisted. Listen to SuperMinion and her hubby, very knowledgeable!

From my seven years working at Rucker, here's the basic warrant information source, the WOCC:

http://usacac.army.mil/cac2/WOCC/recruiting.asp All WO Candidates take the basic course at Rucker, and then go to their career path advanced training. Most end up in Aviation as pilots, or maintenance, but there are many other career fields besides flying. By the way, WOCC is totally without family on base, no exceptions. Advanced training is at either Rucker for pilot candidates, and many other locations for the other career fields.

This has links to the Warrant Officer Career Center, which includes recruiting, and career info.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I'm not military, but I do fly for a living and am the daughter of a Army helo pilot, sister of a Navy f18 pilot, and niece of an Air Force f16 pilot.

My brother told me the Navy has lots of helicopters, he almost got sent to one.

Although many others on here have offered to set you up with friends that are in the know, I can possibly do the same. PM me if interested.

Also if ever you thought about going the civilian route flying, I can answer all those questions.

Judybigredpony's DH is a military pilot. You might PM her. Good luck! Grueling and exhilarating.

They actually don't prefer trained pilots, because some learn habits that conflict with the flight rules the Army uses. The Army teaches rotary wing, with a basic airframe, and then the final airframe; some go on to fixed wing. They call Fort Rucker "Mother Rucker" because every warrant and aviator comes back there, and some return as instructor pilots (or IP's), and some retire and become civilian instructors at Rucker also. When you're in Enterprise, AL it's hard to find anyone who isn't connected to the post, and to flying in some fashion.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White