The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ugh! Cold + snow = no hunt.....like, forever!

Well, it feels like forever!! Almost wish hunting was a summer sport but we event in the summer so it is the perfect winter sport. And hunt season ends next month!

Feelings mutual!! I've been able to hunt alot over the last few years. This year is just not working out. I'm hoping to get out a couple, dare I wish for 3-4) times before the end of the season.

A friend of ours hunts a pack in Virginia and he's almost beside himself with no hunting! Hard to sympathize with him though, having never ridden in snow in my life. In fact I've only ever been to the snow maybe 5 times!

I am right there with you. We haven't hunted since New Year's Day, and have barely ridden for the past month. They might go out on Saturday, but the footing is still iffy, and the horses aren't fit, so.... it isn't looking good for hunting for a few weeks. We were hoping to go down to Aiken for 5 days, but some unexpected vet bills put a kabosh on that. So now I just get to keep watching FB to see pictures of people enjoying Aiken's warmer weather and sandy footing during Hunt Week.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

My Virginia hunt has gone out one time since New Year's.
    At least I got to hunt 6x in 10 days down south late last month.
    On the other hand, you see how organized my kitchen cabinets are! (And closets, and medicine cabinet .....
    I just hacked out a few minutes ago - went cross-country for the first time in weeks (been limited to the roads) and .... man, it is frozen solid and rough/uneven. For once, I sorta don't WANT to hunt until the footing normalizes!
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Wish I knew, but the journey is interesting

Out last Saturday: the ground leaked at every step, the water flowed off the fields, every ditch was filled right up to the top BUT.... it was sunny!!! Hounds ran like stink the whole afternoon. Good thing they are bassets and we were on foot.

http://www.albanybassets.co.uk/image...ny/Bramble.jpg

1 members found this post helpful.

My hunt didn't go out for most of December between deer hunting and the huntsman having Lasix eye surgery. I think they hunted once in January.
    I think one of the farmer's packs were out on Sunday. The footing was pretty slick- thin layer on top that is thawed and frozen underneath.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I was very lucky my hunt went out in whatever weather (and we had footing forgiving enough for it & a crazy huntswoman). I just wish it was the cold rather than distance keeping me from my hunt.
    The Struggle - - a blog about the equestrian struggle.

My last hunt, we took a big spill as it was 4" of mud on top of frozen. I will never go out without medium studs in that crap again!

It is The Season that Wasn't.

But the footpacks have been going out regularly (except in that polar vortex weather). The local basset pack has been going gangbusters and we've had a wonderful season.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

1 members found this post helpful.

I've gotten out at least 4 times in January on weekends and the President's holiday. We don't seem to cancel very often during the weekend unless the sky is falling although sometimes the fixture is changed to the kennel and it's casual attire. As in jeans and parkas welcomed. We've still had some great hunts on those days!

I don't have an indoor... no where to ride that isn't an icy mess so my horses and I are very out of shape. I'm going stir crazy. My new evening exercise is walking back up the hill after sledding down on a feed bag. Way more fun than running!

Willesdon: Do you hunt rabbits with Bassett hounds? Do they kill the prey or does someone shoot it? They look great in the picture.

Since the UK 2004 Hunting Act, we hunt a trail, rabbits or shot hares. The hounds run for up to 25 miles in an afternoon, the Huntsman about 15-20 miles, the whips about 10 and the followers have 'a walk with a purpose' and may even just stand still until every one gets back to the beginning. Once the hounds have the scent they are OFF! and can very speedily vanish into the landscape. So most of the time the followers are tramping around trying to work out where the hounds have gone to. The cry of Bassets is unsurpassed: a wonderful sound. It is a very sociable activity as we meet in a pub, with tea afterwards. You don't have to worry about your horse or the possibility of a kick from another member in the mounted field. There is greater opportunity to see hounds work, which I love. It is a very different experience and well worth a try.

Willesdon, that sounds like a lot of fun! Too bad we no longer have a nearby foot pack.*

*Not that it would do us much good THIS winter! We have fairly deep snow with ice underneath *and* on top, which quickly makes walking exhausting for humans and painful for canines. The horses are pretty funny though--the crusty snow is making them all look like angry hackney ponies when they do, briefly, move out of the shelters. It's below 0 degrees F again, too, so looks like no hunting this weekend, either. Blerf.
    ---------------------------

Willesdon - those are some very fine hounds in that photo. If I ever make it over there, I'd love to cap with your club.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

CindyCRNA- work on your schedule and do the Joint Meet in a few weeks! That will right a lot of injustice!! I have something on the calender for that Saturday so I'm hoping to hit either the Fri or Sun hunt.

Fortunate to have an Irish huntsman who practically refuses to ever cancel hunting, no matter the conditions. Even with the "polar vortex" we've only had 4 cancellations since December.

We've had a few blank days in there for sure (especially whilst hunting during a blizzard--no self respecting foxes about!), but it's nice to get out and stretch everyone's legs!

2 members found this post helpful.

JSwan, good eye for a hound there! They are a lovely, level pack of utterly charming hounds who were big winners at the Peterborough Hound Show this past summer. American judges like them. Everyone is very welcome as the view of the hunt is "the more the merrier!" The cap is £10.00 for visitors.

http://www.albanybassets.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    CindyCRNA- work on your schedule and do the Joint Meet in a few weeks! That will right a lot of injustice!! I have something on the calender for that Saturday so I'm hoping to hit either the Fri or Sun hunt.
    How long is the drive? I can do Fri Sat.

Well shoot... I just jinxed it. No hunting today

It's a layer of ice over snow over frozen ground. Ugh. I'm debating if it's worth trying to get out for a hack or not.