The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Open Front boots? Help me shop! You guys are WAY better shoppers than I am

I need to buy a pair of open front boots. My horse does not fit in ANY of the vast collection of boots that I have. I have mostly owned TB types and now own a very beefy Hanoverian gelding. Not a huge guy but he is a fitting nightmare because he has a lot of bone but short cannons....he is big bodied but short backed...and looks WAY bigger than he is.

So for those of you that own slightly bigger boned horses, tell me about your open front boots and what you like about them. And what size fit your large boned horse?

Thanks in advance!

Try a local consignment shop. I will bet they will let you take a couple of pairs to try for size.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

My big girl fits well in the Eskadron Memo boots, I think they just come in horse size but they work for her - she's beefy but doesn't have draft-like bone in her legs...

I have a pair of leather open fronts with buckles that I got off Tack of the Day (Bit of Britain). In the size large they fit my very large boned Hanoverian gelding.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...9&l=79ab034609

Hey, that sounds like my young horse, OP! He has so much bone I still find myself thinking he has a fat knee or ankle when I first catch sight of him....and then I realize it's just his huge joints.

He fits in Eskadron Flexi Soft Air Easy boots quite nicely. I also have a set of really nice KenTaur leather boots that fit well. You might also look at Equifit- depending on the model, some of them are shorter in length. My much leggier TB wears Veredus, because they are a bit longer.
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

1 members found this post helpful.

Veredus! My average warmblood wears the m/l size, but a very beefy and big warmblood at my barn fits the xl beautifully. I will forever buy veredus. I love the way they look. I love how easy they are to take care of. I love the way they fit my horses legs!

My big boned boy (oversize everything) wears the wolf boot open fronts and they're great.

I had a lovely pair of FTE leather open fronts that fit my short but very tree-trunk-like PercheronX like a glove. Sadly, they are no longer made but you can sometimes find a pair second hand.

I have a pair of Veredus that seem pretty generous from a width perspective, almost too generous for my slightly petite TBx mare, as she is on the snuggest hole. They are fantastic boots that wear well and stay put. I had a pair of the Carbon Gels but actually like the cheaper Olympic (or Olympus? can't remember, they are at the barn) model because they seem a touch lighter and more conforming.

I also prefer the Olympus.

Quote Originally Posted by imapepper View Post
    he has a lot of bone but short cannons...
    Measure
    it's the only way when your horse does not fall into the "standard" boot options, then call/email manufacturers/retailers for boot measurements ...

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Measure
    it's the only way when your horse does not fall into the "standard" boot options, then call/email manufacturers/retailers for boot measurements ...
    Yes I am thinking that is the only way I am really going to be able to get him properly fitted. And save myself multiple trips back and forth returning boots LOL

Thanks guys!

I think Veredus would be a good bet - they are a good height for my short-cannoned horses, but they seem to have plenty of adjustment for thicker bones.

EquiFit T-Boots are also good for my horses height-wise, but I don't think there is truly enough length and give in the elastic to fit the really thick-boned types.

Other boots with a cut-out or section that gives at the back of the boot below the knee might give you enough leeway that even if the boot is a bit too tall, it might still work.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Agree on Veredus - Welsh Cob - but some boot models fit OK, others not all ... like many other companies, Veredus is also now changing over to single size ("large") in some of their boots (though always difficult to determine how much of this is distribution vs manufacture)

N.E.W offered great sizing in their boots, but didn't seem to bring this over to their open fronts they also seem to have dropped size options as they've grown (as a company).

Veredus Olympus, depending on how tall his cannons really are. My guy has short cannons, but normal size width so wears a small and Olympus is the only style I've found to come in a short. He has 10.5" ankle, 8" wide cannons and can only do 10-11" height max. Every other boot I've tried doesn't come short enough (Thinline, Eskadron, EquiFit). The Olympus is a great product too. I use mine 4x/wk for the last year.

I just got some of the Veredus Carbon Gels for my big, clunkin' 18H. Selle Francais in L for front and back. I will report back when they come in next week.

Equi Fit T boots are really nice. They have a squishy insert that is removable for cleaning. I first purchased the velcro ones but the velcro gave out pretty quickly so I went to the tab type. I really like them.. my horses are bigger boned and shorter cannons and they fit really well. I have the XL size. They are not very tall so they work for me.

http://www.equifit.net/products/t-boot-exp2
    Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood! ~ GM

I had the t boots, and I absolutely hated them. Luckily I bought them through smartpak, and they refunded me (I love their customer service). The front boots didn't stay put near as well as my veredus, and the back boots collected so much sand that it rubbed my horse's legs. I think the liners are too thick. They didn't breathe well and got very hot... But maybe it's just me.

I think I will be measuring him this weekend....and taking my tape into the store with me. In the meantime, polo wraps are my best friends

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I bought the Veredus Olympus in size large for the horse I'm leasing who has legs like tree trunks. Seriously, he's 17.3 or so with bone to match. They fit great. The one-size Eskadrons did not fit. I had to dig around a bit to find them in large, but Adams Horse Supply has them. I was getting seriously tired of polo wraps!
    The Evil Chem Prof

New Eskadron Airs fit him just fine And I have to say are quite nice. We will see how they stand up. I think I am going to get him the back boots to match.