The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 152
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Jun. 27, 2002
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    5,257

    Default

    Enacting more gun control laws will predominantly affect the people who actually follow the rules and are responsible with their firearms. Criminals and idiots will still shoot people and things. Having worked in the CJ system for years, I know it isn't the law-abiding people that are the issue...but new laws will only restrict people like us, who choose to have the means to defend our families and homes. I would prefer not to defend myself with a steak knife.

    My husband's brother was killed in a home invasion robbery, and his father survived the attack because he legally possessed a firearm and was able to defend himself. Obviously, nobody ever wants to be in a position to have to shoot someone in your own home, but IT HAPPENS, and I can tell you one thing, I'm not going to be the one with the toe tag should the situation arise. That said, my husband and I are educated and proficient (practice regularly) with the guns we own and CC, because we also don't want to be an accident statistic. But again, who are gun laws going to hurt? People like us, not the thugs.


    8 members found this post helpful.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Mar. 18, 2005
    Posts
    1,076

    Default

    No matter what gun control laws are put in place the fact is people will still be able to get their hands on guns. There is no amount of laws that will change that.

    If stricter gun laws are forced/put in place then guns will become an even bigger commodity. The gun runners will ultimately be the ones that will get rich because of it.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Jun. 24, 2005
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    10,560

    Default

    I think everyone can agree that people like the BIL who shot his floor, is the last person on earth that should be armed, and maybe shouldn't have access to sharp objects either.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White


    5 members found this post helpful.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Jul. 11, 2004
    Posts
    7,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    We're tryin' ...The felon is probably related to his third wife. She has at least one son and daughter currently in prison.
    Actually, this sounds more like the need to register and control people who wish to have kids. The "wrong" people are breeding veritible litters of future criminals, druggies, rapists, thieves, gang bangers and other future mothers of litters at a young age. Best way to stop violence is to license these people so they can't breed. We all pay the price for these parenting failures...got to control these reckless breeders.

    How about needing to get a permit to buy a horse? How many stories on COTH about ignorant owners and the damage they do to their horses? Should a horse owner permit be needed and renewed every 2 years (or you have your horse siezed). Seems only fair, eh?
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"


    3 members found this post helpful.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2005
    Location
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Posts
    14,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    I think everyone can agree that people like the BIL who shot his floor, is the last person on earth that should be armed, and maybe shouldn't have access to sharp objects either.
    Actually non alcoholic BIL is normally very responsible, probably the only responsible one in the bunch. I just wish he and people like him were required to demonstrate basic safety competence before purchasing a firearm.

    Alcoholic BIL, his third wife and her offspring are a whole kettle of fish
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Oct. 12, 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flypony74 View Post
    Obviously, nobody ever wants to be in a position to have to shoot someone in your own home, but IT HAPPENS, and I can tell you one thing, I'm not going to be the one with the toe tag should the situation arise. That said, my husband and I are educated and proficient (practice regularly) with the guns we own and CC, because we also don't want to be an accident statistic. But again, who are gun laws going to hurt? People like us, not the thugs.
    This, absolutely.

    "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6."
    Alis volat propriis.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    14,324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Capall View Post
    Even if we banned everything conceivable under the sun, violent people would find ways to kill or hurt others. Stupid people would probably still end up doing something stupid and harmful with nothing more than two hands and a rubber chicken.
    Pantyhose for sure should be outlawed/banned.
    Not only are innocent people strangled by them (not talking about the strangled feeling you have when you wear them, talking about around your neck so you can not breath) but they double as a masking device for criminals.



    I am confused what more regulations would have done to prevent the brother in law that you state is pretty darn normal from having a gun? Do we now need some sort of regulation that will look into the future to determine if normal brother in law will turn into a moron when confronted by the police?


    4 members found this post helpful.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2005
    Location
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Posts
    14,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Pantyhose for sure should be outlawed/banned.
    Not only are innocent people strangled by them (not talking about the strangled feeling you have when you wear them, talking about around your neck so you can not breath) but they double as a masking device for criminals.



    I am confused what more regulations would have done to prevent the brother in law that you state is pretty darn normal from having a gun? Do we now need some sort of regulation that will look into the future to determine if normal brother in law will turn into a moron when confronted by the police?
    I NEVER said he should not have a gun. I have never said we should ban guns though I do think VA's CC laws are lax and I don't allow most CC on my property.

    We HAVE guns.

    As I have said REPEATEDLY, I think people should be required to show competency with a firearm before they are allowed to purchase one.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Dec. 4, 2005
    Location
    washington state
    Posts
    10,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
    Wrong, if it's fired in anything other than directly straight up it maintains a ballistic trajectory and can be lethal.

    Right. *UP* Shoot *up*. It was the other than up that started the issues with the floor, remember?
    The Knotted Pony

    Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.



  10. #110
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2005
    Location
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Posts
    14,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    Right. *UP* Shoot *up*. It was the other than up that started the issues with the floor, remember?
    What goes up must come down
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/07/0...ion-of-july-4/
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.



  11. #111
    Join Date
    Apr. 17, 2002
    Location
    between the barn and the pond
    Posts
    14,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    I NEVER said he should not have a gun. I have never said we should ban guns though I do think VA's CC laws are lax and I don't allow most CC on my property.

    We HAVE guns.

    As I have said REPEATEDLY, I think people should be required to show competency with a firearm before they are allowed to purchase one.
    So what you really want is TRAINING, not RESTRICTIONS?


    2 members found this post helpful.

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Dec. 4, 2005
    Location
    washington state
    Posts
    10,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post

    Yes, that is what Chall and I were discussing. But I do think your BIL might want to get a handle on this sort of thing
    The Knotted Pony

    Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.



  13. #113
    Join Date
    Jun. 24, 2005
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    10,560

    Default

    Sorry Carol! I thought it was the other BIL that shot the floor, and not the responsible one.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White


    3 members found this post helpful.

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Mar. 26, 2005
    Location
    Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get
    Posts
    10,372

    Default May I Hijack with a question?

    Disclaimer:
    I am not a gunowner, hate loud sounds & have since I was a kid and B-day parties with popping ballons made me uncomfortable.
    And yes, I have fired a (hand)gun at a friend's range when he had an Opening Day Turkey Shoot.
    Once was enough to confirm I still do not like loud, sudden noises.
    That said, I have no problem with anyone owning a gun as long as they have been through some sort of training & background check.

    My question:
    Does anyone with a gun for protection kept loaded, in the house - bedroom or wherever - really think they could rouse from a deep sleep, find said gun and shoot an intruder?

    Serious question, really not trying to snark, I am curious.
    Friend & her DH have told me they each keep a loaded handgun in their BRs & her instructions are to point loaded gun at her doorway if she hears anything suspicious.
    Speaking for myself, I'd still be half asleep when intruder walked out with my valuables.
    Or I'd shoot DH if he woke me.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015


    4 members found this post helpful.

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Sep. 5, 2007
    Posts
    1,532

    Default

    You'd be surprised how alert you can become with adrenaline running through your veins. Our first defense is a house alarm.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Oct. 12, 2001
    Location
    Center of the Universe
    Posts
    7,806

    Default

    if you look at the actual stats, you'd be surprised how rarely those "loaded guns under the pillow" actually protect anyone.
    Most commonly they are used to kill a member of the household, either in accidental shooting, deliberate murder by another member of the household, or by an intruder getting hold of it.
    Anyone without a gun in the household is far, far safer than anyone with a gun in the household. The idea that the gun is Protection is a big fat myth.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Oct. 25, 2012
    Posts
    6,646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Disclaimer:
    I am not a gunowner, hate loud sounds & have since I was a kid and B-day parties with popping ballons made me uncomfortable.
    And yes, I have fired a (hand)gun at a friend's range when he had an Opening Day Turkey Shoot.
    Once was enough to confirm I still do not like loud, sudden noises.
    That said, I have no problem with anyone owning a gun as long as they have been through some sort of training & background check.

    My question:
    Does anyone with a gun for protection kept loaded, in the house - bedroom or wherever - really think they could rouse from a deep sleep, find said gun and shoot an intruder?

    Serious question, really not trying to snark, I am curious.
    Friend & her DH have told me they each keep a loaded handgun in their BRs & her instructions are to point loaded gun at her doorway if she hears anything suspicious.
    Speaking for myself, I'd still be half asleep when intruder walked out with my valuables.
    Or I'd shoot DH if he woke me.
    I'd like to think so, but I've experienced enough adrenaline-dumps when even punching speed-dial on a cellphone was difficult to know better. The gun is there, but more for livestock emergencies. Adrenalized, fine-motor coordination is the first thing to go. Along with possibly your continence!

    I'm a lot MORE confident of my ability to stand on the landing with a wire-stretcher handle chambered in hasso-kamae, and crush their heads as they come up the stairs . . .

    But I do kendo. The weapon you can wield without thought is the one that will serve you best in the clutch.



  18. #118
    Join Date
    Oct. 14, 2002
    Posts
    642

    Default

    The US has the highest per capita firearm related murder rate in the developed world. Are Americans really that much more violent, or is it perhaps that more stringent gun control laws really do increase safety?

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...nership/table/


    3 members found this post helpful.

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    14,324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    My question:
    Does anyone with a gun for protection kept loaded, in the house - bedroom or wherever - really think they could rouse from a deep sleep, find said gun and shoot an intruder?
    I will answer this question even though I do not have a loaded gun easily accessible in my bedroom at night (all of our guns live in a locked safe).

    Yes.

    We do not all sleep the same.

    I am wide awake every time the dog moves.
    I was from my bed, thru a door, thru a gate and in the living room with the light on before the dog finished puking the other night/morning (2am). Wide awake.

    I do know people that the house could collapse around them and they would still be in a sleep fog.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Sep. 22, 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    My dogs stay out and our house is small enough they will easily have the entrance covered before a would be burglar get in. If the dogs don't scare them off they will certainly give me enough warning to wake up, load my gun and be prepared. However I also function well in high adrenaline situations.

    Also, you have to look at unbiased statistics, not just a google search of media since cases where victims are actually successful defending themselves rarely get coverage.
    For example... http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...n=ShareButtons
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!



Similar Threads

  1. Stallion Restrictions (from STB land)
    By bdj in forum Racing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jan. 22, 2013, 08:23 PM
  2. CEM Restrictions - Any Updates?
    By Fred in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Nov. 28, 2012, 10:40 PM
  3. Comment on Fed hauling restrictions
    By Beverley in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Jul. 29, 2011, 10:38 PM
  4. Cross Entry Restrictions!!
    By KPHorses in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Apr. 9, 2011, 06:42 PM
  5. New EVA Restrictions
    By Equine Reproduction in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Oct. 9, 2010, 07:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •