The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My horse is between sizes with the Cavello boots so I use the red 12mm Easy Care Hoof pad in them to take up the room, plus it makes them more comfy on the hard gravel logging roads we have to ride on. Buy the size that is roomy and you cam put pretty thick inserts in them.

1 members found this post helpful.

Cloudandcallie--I talked to Debbie when I first bought them, last year. She was great, got them right out. This time is a 180--I still haven't heard a peep, and I called last Friday. Maybe she quit and left the boys in charge.

PNW--My guy takes the biggest size Cavallo makes. I'm going to have to wait until they get here to see what will work. If the boots will stay on better than the soft rides & I can get something cushy inside with his foot, it will be an improvement.

All y'all have been very helpful, and I really appreciate your advice. Let me try to return the favor and tell you about the horse boot swap page at www.naturalhorsetrim.com . People list their boot mistakes and no longer needed boots there to sell or trade. There are also reviews of nearly every boot that's available here. Useful.

Debbie is still there. We emailed back and forth last friday.

Yes the hoof book exchange is great, as you can sometimes pick up good boots 2nd hand there at great prices.

I did email Debbie yesterday and ask her to look at this thread and to contact OP.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for giving Debbie the heads up. I can't imagine what's going on with them NOT providing a means of communication through the website for their customers.

Anyhow, I got the Cavallos TODAY--this was after ordering the boots on Tuesday! (I got the red ones so I could spot them in the field when he takes them off.) I didn't put the whole package on him today because it was actually raining. We've been in draught so long that I expect there are young California children who've never seen mud before.

Here's my report on Softride vs. Cavallo. The softrides DO fit inside the size 6 Cavallos, but it pushes the feet up too high. What seems to work better is a pair of mutilated Easy Care inserts. I had cut them to fit a horse with smaller feet, but this horse seems comfy in them.

And he's so cute in his little red shoes!

OK, OP, I did what you wanted me to. I hope you get your call back. and I hope the inserts are stabilized enough in the other boots.

Just a head's up: Our old boots are still functioning well, and are great. but the new ones I got this week are even better than the 2008 or 2009 boots I bought back then. So if you are buying used soft rides, try to get the "new" version of them (don't know how long this version has been made.)

Quote Originally Posted by aka Hermein View Post
    Here's my report on Softride vs. Cavallo. The softrides DO fit inside the size 6 Cavallos, but it pushes the feet up too high.
    That's the same problem we had w/the SR inserts and the Cavallo Sports.

Glad you found something that works for your guy! My trimmer has a red "loaner" pair of the Cavallo Simples, and they are hilarious--when a mare @ my barn was borrowing them, we called them the clown shoes!
    Topline Leather -- Unique woven crystal & gemstone browbands

Topline Leather's Etsy Shop

OP, your experience is similar to mine as mentioned in earlier posts.

It worked for us because the cavallo boot was a bit on the large side for the horse but as suggested, a smaller pad might be better.

But nevertheless For this horse with the radically resected hoof needing frog support iit was really a godsend to be able to use the cavallo simple boot and soft ride pad even though not perfect. This combo worked well for him for three months turnout and happily he went on to grow back his foot and all ended well.

I also have a pair of cavallo simple boots for one of my other horses so I am quite familiar with them. Good luck with your horse, OP.

OK!!! I wanted to let you know that I did hear from SoftRide. I had left a message at the shipping facility, and that was evidently sent on to the sales office. The man I talked to on Friday couldn't figure out why I didn't get a response because they have 3 people answering the phones. I don't know either, but wonder if the phones were screwy because of the horrible weather. Could be that a telephone pole fell down before voice mail picked up.

Anyhow, they sold me what I wanted, which was a single replacement boot. I have another horse who is also IR (lucky me). so chances are that it'll be in use at one point or another.

Softrides really do make a difference. It's the pits when your horse hurts and you can't do anything to make it better.

Thanks for all your help and advice.