The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question(s) on Cavallo Simple Boots UPDATE POST 29

Here's question #1: Will Cavallo Simple boots accomodate the insole made by SoftRide? (The insole is very thick.)

Here's my rant: SoftRide does not answer questions these days--just takes orders and seems to believe that their website is adequate for all information. (If I could reach them, I would point out the failure of this premise.)

Here's the backstory: Poor horse is really ouchy in front. I just started him on a trial of Pergolide, and in the meantime am keeping (ha) him in SoftRides. He has pretty much trashed one of the boots and I need a replacement right now. I can get Cavallos quickly, and read on the Boot Swap website that Cavallo Simples work with the SoftRide insoles.

If you're familiar with or use the Cavallo Simples, could you let me know what you think regarding the inside roominess of the boots? Please.

Thank you
    Last edited by aka Hermein; Feb. 9, 2014 at 08:05 PM.

We used the softride insert in a cavallo simple boot for a horse who had his hoof resected. It was not ideal because it raised the foot/heel too high in the boot so sometimes he got it off. However it was the really thick insert with frog support-I think there is a smaller one.

His boot was on the large side and it was a sloppy fit but he wore it for turnout for a couple of months- and was sound in it.

Thank you thank you thank you. The Cavallo people are right up the coast, so I hope that will expedite things. I think I'll order their gel insert as well, just in case I can't get the SoftRide inserts to work.

Of course, the goof is now trotting up and down the fence line, barefoot, without a bob, showing off for the mares.

Quote Originally Posted by aka Hermein View Post
    Thank you thank you thank you. The Cavallo people are right up the coast, so I hope that will expedite things. I think I'll order their gel insert as well, just in case I can't get the SoftRide inserts to work.
    JMHO but as much as I like the Cavallo Simple Boots, the Cavallo gel inserts are hard as a rock and therefore borderline useless for what you're describing. When I had my horse in Cavallo Simple Boots and needed to alleviate soreness, I found that Thinline pads worked best. Custom-cut pieces of EVA foam from the hardware store were the second-best thing. (I should note that my horse was not truly lame, just sore after his shoes were taken off for the winter. We didn't try SoftRide inserts, but I hear they're awesome.)

You might need to go up a size, but it should work because you can really open up the boot to put the pad in and apply it to the hoof, unlike an easyboot. The simple boot is also quite wide.

FWIW the cavallo gel pads are pretty thin and not very cushiony...

Personally, I don't think it would work. The Soft Ride inserts are so thick/tall that I don't see how any other boot could hold them on, even if you shave the frog supports down (which is sometimes necessary). My friend's mare wore hers 24/7 for 6 or 7 months and, while a bit tattered, we were able to give them to the mare's hoof trimmer to use as a lender pair for her clients.

I would just call Soft Ride and see what they can do.
    Last edited by Frizzle; Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Blargh! Phone :-/
    Topline Leather -- Unique woven crystal & gemstone browbands

Topline Leather's Etsy Shop

Thanks to all of you.

Frizzie--I called. I called Sales' 800 number and got a recorded sales pitch, no friendly leave-a-message invitation. I called the shipping place in TX, left a message that someone may someday answer. Tried to order a single replacement (which you're supposed to be able to do); program wouldn't allow it. When I bought the boots last year, the people were right there and eager to get me what I needed. Something must have changed, which is too bad.

If I can't get the Softride pads to work, I do have some thinner squishy rubber pads that might work. What are thinline pads?

BTW, do the pastern socks take up much room?

That's too bad about the Soft Ride customer service--very disappointing, because a year and a half ago the service was great. I hope you get a call back and they allow you to order a replacement boot. I thought they had some kind of guarantee, no?

Thinline would not be nearly as thick/supportive as the Soft Ride inserts. I presume the hoof pads are made out of the same material as the saddle pads, and that's really not very thick. Great for saddle pads, and probably great for cushioning hooves, but nowhere near comparable to the SRs. IMO, nothing compares to the Soft Rides, for what they are.

And I never used the pastern wraps. Whenever I've had a horse in hoof boots for long periods, I just use men's large tube socks filled with Goldbond Medicated Powder. Works like a charm.

Best of luck!

I just looked at the website (mobile version) and there is a single hoof boot option in the drop-down box. The "Single" versions are at the top, pairs are at the bottom.

Yeah, that's what the program wouldn't let me do!! I tried several times to choose the single boot option, but the program automatically changed my order to the pairs.

I'll look at the Thin Line things.

I've never seen the SoftRide pads, but I have the Cavallo Simple Boots and they're relatively roomy on the inside.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I have used the Easy Care insoles in Cavallo Simple boots. It's another option for you.

In my (new) experience, if your horse will be in them 24/7, don't bother with the pastern wraps. After 2.5 days of use, mine are nearly trashed. The leather on the heel seems to break in and soften quickly. The velcro tab that secures the wrap to the boot is already tearing off, and at least one is usually scrunched up above the boot when I check him.

We both love the Cavallos otherwise, his feet don't hurt on the horrid moonscape frozen mud! I did go with the Thinline pads too, which I think help.
    Why do I work two jobs to support a horse I don't have time to ride?

The Soft Ride inserts are THICK, guys; nothing comparable. http://www.softrideboots.com/1/order-now.asp
    I own a pair of Cavallo Simple boots, and have also used the Sports. Great boots, but definitely not going to be able to accomodate the SR inserts.
    OP, I hope SR will give you a call back so you can get it straightened out!

OP, have you called Debbie at soft-ride? She has always called me back, and has always been very helpful to me. I just ordered another part of soft-rides from her, on a late friday afternoon, and after the shipping deadline, and she shipped them out Friday afternoon from Texas.

I had a pair of cavallo boots I had bought for Callie, but she refused to wear them and lay down. Cloudy got them, and used them for when he threw a shoe, which he did often for a while. I ended up giving the cavalos to a Cother in Minn who had hoof issues with her horse. Fortunately, Zakkandtoto gave the Cother her horse's soft-rides since the cavalos rubbed the Minn. Cother's horse's hooves, when left on more than a day.
    I would not try to use the soft ride inserts in boots other than the soft ride boots, mostly because most boots other than soft ride boots will rub.
    So to the website and call Debbie and leave your phone #. She usually calls back within an hour or two. The service has always been wonderful.
    If you have inserts without the boots, you could tape then on the hoof until you can purchase the boots with the inserts.
    but call Debbie at Softride. She is wonderful.

As I mentioned above, we used the soft ride inserts in a cavallo simple boot for a couple of months for turnout. We sized it a bit larger than for regular wear and while it was not ideal and a bit sloppy , it did the job and horse was sound on it.

Apparently and according to others who haven't ever tried it, what we did was impossible so I guess we are magical!

I did try it, and it was a huge disaster, so yes you must be magical. I thought we could get away with using the inserts in the horse's Cavallo boots (I believe she had the Sports) and, nope, no way. We trid several different versions of making our own "poor man's Soft Rides" with the SR orthotics and jerry-rigging them in various ways and none of them worked for us. So, we bit the bullet and got the actual Soft Rides.

My guy has the Simples and I really don't see how it would work. I just don't want the OP to spend lots of money trying all kinds of things that have a slight possibility of working, instead of just replacing the SRs. Hopefully C&C's contact at the company will be able to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    I did try it, and it was a huge disaster, so yes you must be magical.

ha ha- no you didn't try it or you wouldn't have said this:
    Personally, I don't think it would work
    Whatever. Op asked for experiences and I gave mine because we actually used this combination. The rest of the replies were speculation.
    Last edited by Crockpot; Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:52 AM. Reason: fixing quote

I trid them with the Sports, which are not all that different. And lik I said, we tried several different things in an attemot to avoid soending the money on the actual ST boots.

I own a pair of the Simples, as well. Like I said, I don't see how it would work. It's great that you managed to make it work, but that doesn't mean everyone will have that same experience. OP could waste a lot of $$.

I didn't think the Pastern wraps really changed the fit much. I did find them to run smaller than expected but my horse has wide hooves and heels.