The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Farrow v. Allen: discuss

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...t-so-fast.html

http://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/201...gion=Body&_r=0

In a nutshell, all Woody Allen's recent accolades as well as the growing fame of his son, Ronan (Satchel) Farrow have triggered a repetition of the allegations of molestation Allen faced back in 1992 and 1993.

Where you stand may depend on whose account you read first. I read the NY Times first, which is pretty damning. But then after reading the Daily Beast, I have reconsidered.
    A helmet saved my life.

2015 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

I think they're both messed up, but that doesn't negate the fact that Mia Farrow does good humanitarian work, that Ronan Farrow is a genius, and that Woody Allen made some good movies.

3 members found this post helpful.

Nothing will erase that he married Soon-Yi.

She wasn't his adopted daughter, but she was around 8 years old when he started his relationship with Mia. When they broke it off in '92, Mia had found nude pics of Soon-Yi, then 20.
    For 12 years, while he wasn't her father, he was the steady partner of her adopted mother. Since Soon-Yi was 8, that's the role she knew him in.

Ain't nothing gonna erase the skeezyness of that.
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

47 members found this post helpful.

He is the consummate Skeezy Geezer.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

12 members found this post helpful.

I always thought he was skeezy before he dumped Mia for their adopted daughter......now I physically shudder when I see pictures of him! Oh yeah......I never liked his movies either!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    Nothing will erase that he married Soon-Yi.

She wasn't his adopted daughter, but she was around 8 years old when he started his relationship with Mia. When they broke it off in '92, Mia had found nude pics of Soon-Yi, then 20.
    For 12 years, while he wasn't her father, he was the steady partner of her adopted mother. Since Soon-Yi was 8, that's the role she knew him in.

Ain't nothing gonna erase the skeezyness of that.
    THIS A THOUSAND TIMES OVER.

And like eclipse - I never liked his movies either.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

huh, I don't like his movies either.
    but to be accurate--soon yi is the adopted daughter of mia and her husband andre previn.

There are far more rapes in this world than there are made up claims.

As far as I'm concerned, this guy is a repeat offender. And who on earth let him adopt two girls with Soon Yi?

Also, his movies just suck.

12 members found this post helpful.

A child who, by the accounts I have read/heard, spent most of her time with her adopted Mother. So the child would have seen and heard about her adopted Mother and boyfriend (Allen).

IMO - no matter how you spin it - Allen as Farrow's long time boyfriend married his long time girlfriend's barely of age adopted daughter. OK - not illegal or immoral to some but to me very wrong.
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

5 members found this post helpful.

Sketchy.

I also never liked his movies but it doesn't matter. Still sketchy.

i think i believe the girl. she has no reason to lie, and altho he claims she could not tell fantasy from reality, we don't know that for sure.

7 members found this post helpful.

He is a child molester dirt bag in my book. I could give a rats donkey that he made some movies - meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Marrying your partner's young daughter (immoral in my book, he was a father figure), its not a stretch to think that he molested another.

I do NOT understand why some people give actors, or other entertainment industry a pass - these people produce entertainment, they aren't curing cancer for gods sake!! Their contribution to society pales in the amount of money they make from it.

Now if they do something good (like philanthropy with that earned money and fame), that is one thing - otherwise I have no use for "famous" people - and a "famous" child rapist should get the treatment that any other rapist dirt bag deserves.

Disgusted with him, any any one that supports him.

13 members found this post helpful.

I don't know all the facts of the case, but I do have personal experience as I tried a lot of child molestation cases because as a woman prosecutor, I saw so many men talk families out of prosecuting because the male prosecutors were afraid to try the cases. I've had jurors tell me they were molested and either did not tell or went to trial and got not guilty verdicts because the male prosecutors did not push the cases, and I've had witnesses tell me they too were molested.
    I truly believe that there are many people out there who were molested as children and the prosecutors did not do their job. I've actually seen male prosecutors talk victims' families out of prosecuting. You would not believe how many prosecutors are afraid to try any case, much less child molestations and rapes because women and children have a double standard to overcome in order to get a verdict of guilty. Too many prosecutors and cops and mothers handle cases the wrong way, and it appears in court that the child has been coached in what to say, when in reality, the people are just trying to get the kids to open up and cover all of the facts. I always told my kids to tell the truth no matter what, and that the jury would then do the right thing. When defense lawyers would ask kids on the stand what I told them to say, they'd always say I said to tell the truth. I even had to be dragged down to court where Nancy Grace was trying a case with a rookie, and the kid had frozen on the stand because no one had spoken to the kid outside of court or had taken her into the courtroom before the trial to meet the judge and find out what would happen. While Nancy and the 2 defense lawyers were screaming at each other in the witness room, I looked at the kid and told her to tell the truth no matter what, and told her why I never told when a neighbor tried to molest me, while I was on my horse. The kid went into the courtroom and nailed her sleazy father for molesting her. As with many kids, the girl had not told until her father started molesting another sibling. I've had kids who had to come into court while their own mothers stood outside and said they didn't care what their husbands or boyfriends did to their children, they just wanted the men home.
    So while I don't know the facts of this case, I do know that many, many children are molested, and when they do tell, the kids and their mothers are accused of lying. Women and children are held to a different standard when they accuse someone of a sex crime. Let them say a guy robbed them and everyone is OK, but let them say that someone molested them or raped them and it's all about the victim and her credibility and character. There are many more people out there who have been molested and never told, just because people won't believe a child or a woman. When a prominent methodist minister from Emory univ. died years ago, my public defender, who had gone to Emory with the minister's daughter, told me how the daughter had been molested for years by her father until she got into college. so then when her father died, her mother, who had let the father molest their daughter, had her come back to Atlanta for the funeral. The death of that "wonderful" minister was on the front page of the Atlanta Constitution newspaper. So I believe the victims have to suffer not only when they are being molested for years, but also when their mothers and the community fail them. And prosecutors also fail the victims. While the CT prosecutor failed to act, I believe he did so not to help the victim, as trying a criminal and seeing him go to jail is very carthartic, but because the prosecutor was chicken to try Woody Allen.

29 members found this post helpful.

Her letter is powerful.
    The author of the Daily Beast article is in no way neutral.

I have no idea what really happened. But the Sun Yi thing is very creepy. There is obviously a lot of turmoil and pain in that family and I can't see that he has done anything to help alleviate it.

I used to like his movies but I haven't seen one in years.
    It shouldn't hurt his career though. Hollywood is pretty tolerant of pedophilia.
    Last edited by nhwr; Feb. 3, 2014 at 09:50 PM.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

2 members found this post helpful.

Good post cloudy.
    Thank you.

None of us can know the truth about this particular situation, but one thing that bothered me in the Daily Beast piece was how the author tried to divert the argument by bringing up Mia Farrow's past behaviours (unfaithfullness, children with married men etc). These are red herrings. Whatever she has done doesn't change the fact of what Woody Allen may or may not have done.
    What it does indicate however, is that she has a history of not making wise choices in men, and that's all.
    It's a classic 'blame the victim' technique, or in this case, blame her mother.

14 members found this post helpful.

The fact that at the time the DA had 'probably cause' but opted not because of the age/reliability of a very young victim [or so I read]... I dunno',... but it is very troubling.
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

2 members found this post helpful.

Woody Allen and Michael Jackson both gave me the heebiejeebies. I would guess that neither one is as innocent as they claim (or claimed, in the case of Jackson).

His daughter is incredibly brave for coming forward. No one would want this sort of attention.

Hollywood can be an absolute cesspool when it comes to child sex abuse. I still avoid movies by certain people and their defenders.

This is an older article, but describes what shouldn't surprise us. Why the hell do parents prostitute their children to Hollywood or Disney? Look how screwed up the Disney kids are. I had forgotten about Corey Haim dying years ago.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_925287.html

Another article from Wikipedia, but it gives some details of a very famous case and gives names of his defenders, including ol' Woody, if you scroll down to 'reactions' and United States. Also included are Martin Scorcese and David Lynch. The victim was 13.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_P...ual_abuse_case
    “Time and time again he bears us on his shoulders. No one can strip us of the dignity bestowed upon us by this boundless and unfailing love.".

-Pope Francis

1 members found this post helpful.

I didnt read the daily beast piece, sounds like it is quite biased so I am glad I didnt.

So Farrow has poor choice in men, and deep relationship issues.

This is not unusual for victims of child rape. To me this further points to signs of abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    I didnt read the daily beast piece, sounds like it is quite biased so I am glad I didnt.

So Farrow has poor choice in men, and deep relationship issues.

This is not unusual for victims of child rape. To me this further points to signs of abuse.
    Why not read it? I get the impression that many of the people expressing their disgust have not read it.

Are you afraid you might change your mind?

There is a lot of reporting in the article that I had never seen before, and it was eye-opening.
    A helmet saved my life.

2015 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

As Fred noted the DB article only noted that Farrow might have/could have had affairs with married men and that she was married to a much older Sinatra at a young age. Just because she made mistakes, does not absolve Allen.
    What I got from the article is neither is perfect BUT Farrow's actions were with other adults. Tacky
    Allen was accused of molesting an under 10 year and "marrying" his long time girlfriend's 19-20 YR adopted daughter. Immoral and not acceptable in our society.
    Courtesy my cousin Tim