The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    Sorry, I have to disagree. Things HAVE changed in most parts of the USA. The fact that there are people like you and me who volunteer for and donate to humane organizations, that fact that we have education, spay & neuter clinics, etc. etc. etc. WE do all that!

Sorry I don't think that we have to be perfect in every respect before we say that poisoning stray pets on the street is wrong.

No one is saying poisoning is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by SarEQ View Post
    No one is saying poisoning is okay.
    I was responding to Chachie's post which you apparently didn't read.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

I was responding to Chachie's post which you apparently didn't read.
    I don't see where Chachie said poisoning was okay.

In Russia's eyes, they are the equivalent to rats. Here we treat rats no differently.

Plus you are talking about a country who leveled people's homes and lives to host sports games. Do you honestly think they care about dogs?

I understand your viewpoint but realistically, you will not be able to change what is going on.

Russia should not be hosting this year. That's the bottom line but I can't change that. I will probably only watch hockey and the eventing games but as a descendent of that part of the world, I can say it was a bad choice.

3 members found this post helpful.

I dont agree with poisoning. I don't use poison in my house or barn. But that being said, not everyone shares my views on that. Yes, it makes me sad but that Russia is doing this, but there's a lot of things that make me sad about our world.
    I try to educate people in REALISTIC terms and not sugarcoat with diabetic doses of hope spewing dreams. I have dealt with things in my career I can't under, from burned with acid dogs to sexually abused cats to tortured horses. I speak with experience and know the limitations and the levels in which to succeed, but I am realistic in that you cannot be the kettle and call the pot black

1 members found this post helpful.

Did you see that at least one of the strays got into the Opening Ceremonies? I saw the photo but was afraid to click on any info. Hope to God they didn't take it away and dispose of it.

I am sickened by this as well but a lot of you don't really seem to understand what life is like for most Russians (not all, but most). They have hundreds of thousands of kids rotting away in old, dirty orphanages that they can hardly afford to feed and clothe. People in places like Siberia routinely live without hot water and indoor plumbing. Putin's government is about as corrupt as it gets and they do not value human life at all. They don't care about stray dogs nor the method in which they are killed. The people of Russia in general are nice, caring people but it is taking all they have to survive and feed themselves. So while I think many Russians would like to care about the stray dogs they are struggling to take care of themselves. I will mention again that they have a staggering number of kids living in orphanages. I have traveled to Russia many times and have adopted a child from Russia so I feel more qualified than most on this thread to try to explain why poisoning stray dogs is hardly a blip on the radar screen to those in Sochi.

This is the fault of the Olympic Committee. It happened in Greece. It happened in China. It is happening in Russia. Who knows in what other cities it has happened. This should be covered in the application and in the contracts.

Russian people tend to like animals and take care of even the strays in cities with which I am familiar. This problem is said to result in large part from the relocation of people to apartments where they could not have their pets, so the pets were released to roam.

There is a rich Russian who is trying to assist the animals from what I have read.

The Olympic Committee should be held accountable for this serious impact on animals - and the local residents, too.

This again makes me wonder why Russia was chosen. I would like to think that it is because the money made will be beneficial but like Onthebit said, this is a corrupt country so the poor will still be poor, probably more so at the end of the games.

Onthebit, my grandfather and his brothers were smuggled here through Ellis Island during the world war. His parents gave everything they had to their friend who somehow made it here with the kids so my grandfather and his brothers wouldn't grow up in a Bulgarian orphanage. Instead, they grew up in one here but it was far better than over there where many kids died or were forced into labor or prostitution at very early ages.
    My mother's best friend adopted a Russian girl who is now 21. She came over at 5 yo. She still remembers the orphanage and how awful it was. Her stories are scary to hear and one can only imagine how much worse it was for the older children.
    I'm sure things have improved some but I doubt very much. Even though it is my blood and I would love to visit my ancestors, I am too afraid to go to Russia for fear of never returning.

I agree with you CoyoteCo. The Olympic Committee needs to handle the before and after much better

Quote Originally Posted by Chachie View Post
    This again makes me wonder why Russia was chosen.
    I can't believe anyone wonders why Russia was chosen.

It's big. Damn big. And once China got awarded a Games the pressure from Russia was enormous. You don't poke the bear. I feel the IOC put off having China & Russia host as long as they could, but it was bound to happen.

And for anybody who thinks Russia is not a power, I'm sure Napoleon and Hitler thought they weren't much, either.

Once again, the spent BILLIONS on the Olympics. That money should have gone to help the people that live there.
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Schune View Post
    This is probably too optimistic, but perhaps the more coverage that the dog rescues/volunteers get, it will start a culture change towards more responsible animal welfare; the article mentioned that spaying/neutering is not a priority at all in Russia.
    Give me a break! It's not even a priority in the American South and elsewhere in the good 'ol U S of A! While I agree this situation is horrible and incredibly sad, we're really no better in managing our unwanted animal population. What we do is just more "hidden" as someone already mentioned.

And since when is Russia considered a 3rd world country? More redneck propaganda? How quickly we forget they beat us in the race to space, have a nuclear arsenal to rival our own, more oil than even we can use, etc.. Bet their children’s' math and science scores are much higher on average than those in the US as well.

Almost all Russians are fluent in not only their native language but in English, German and French. How many Americans can speak, read & write more than English? Many are functionally illiterate despite having attended mandatory schooling until at least 16 years of age (just check out the Craig's List ads for proof). Are there poor in Russia? Of course, just as there are everywhere. However, the Ruskies all have health insurance and none are homeless. What country is looking more 3rd world now?

4 members found this post helpful.

rcloisonne, there are many bi-and tri-lingual people in Russia but most are not. There are also many homeless people, and the poor in Russia (which would make up a huge percentage of the population) live in a level of poverty that many poor people in the U.S. could not imagine. I've seen the homeless and the level of poverty with my own eyes. They do have national healthcare but on our multiple trips to Russia we were told repeatedly that if we needed healthcare to find an American clinic staffed with American doctors in order to receive good care. This was even told to me by the Russian pediatrician who did our son's required medical exam in Moscow!

Are you an American? It's perfectly natural that if you are Russians would tell you to find an American clinic to get the type of care with which Americans are familiar.

And generally speaking, far more Russians speak English - and speak it well - than Americans speak any other non-English language.

We live in a country where dogs and cats and horses are allowed to breed unwanted animals. Then they are left to either starve, or be gassed at pounds. This is the USA. I think we are being totally hypocritical about the killing of dogs in Russia. Until we ban and limit indiscriminate breeding of dogs and cats and horses, our country will continue to kill millions a year, either by slow starvation or gassing. (Or in the case of horses, shipping to Canada or Mexico for slaughter.) The US Constitution does not give everyone the right to keep breeding animals and letting them die horrible deaths. it's time to require that most people NOT be allowed to breed their pets. And to require spaying/altering/gelding, and do it free. Instead of paying a fortune to have animal control catch and kill the dogs and cats that are abandoned.
    So Russia is just doing publicly what happens every day in the good old USA. Where disposing of unwanted animals is just like throwing out the trash on the side of the highway.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    Are you an American? It's perfectly natural that if you are Russians would tell you to find an American clinic to get the type of care with which Americans are familiar.

And generally speaking, far more Russians speak English - and speak it well - than Americans speak any other non-English language.
    He told me this because he went to medical school in north America and said the overall standard of care, including standards of cleanliness in hospitals and clinics, was significantly higher. It was how he got his own medical care since he was one of the few in Russia that could afford to pay for it. I'm not saying all Russian hospitals and doctors are bad, but I am saying you would be taken aback at the conditions that you saw in many of them.

CloudyandCallie, exactly. I remember once in an ecology class I was teaching we were looking at infectious disease rates in countries where people live around their garbage. One of my students was disgusted -he asked why they were so stupid. I had to explain that we live around our trash too -we just bury it so you can't see it.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by onthebit View Post
    I'm not saying all Russian hospitals and doctors are bad, but I am saying you would be taken aback at the conditions that you saw in many of them.
    I agree. Compared to American hospitals, just about every country in the world is very different. I've been in Soviet hospitals - they were Russian hospitals, too, but at the time it was still the Soviet Union. I still resent the American viewpoint of Russia = backwards that so many Americans still harbor. You'd think both Sputnik and Yuri Gagarin would've set Americans straight a long time ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...ian_inventions

Oh, I see, so we should give Russia a pass because it happens elsewhere? No matter how you see it (and I don't agree with your assessment) when have you ever seen TWO WRONGS MAKE A RIGHT? EVER??? Why do you think that you can defend this situation by pointing out that someone else is also inhumane?

The point with PETA is that they pick absolutely the wrong battles...
    My point is simply that hurling insults at "those damn Russian" and the general coverage of this particular occurrence ignores the fact that this is happening around the world all the time. I'm not saying it's RIGHT - I'm asking why perhaps why the title of the thread isn't "the worldwide stray dog issue".

I can imagine that some of these beasts will even end up in homes around the world - with people who could have walked into their local shelter and picked up one of the hundreds of animals that make up the same issue in their own backyards.

Shelter overcrowding (or lack of shelters), inhumane treatment, underutilization of spay/neuter programs is certainly not limited to Russia.