The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Angry Pre-Olympic Canine exterminations

I just read this article about Russian efforts to eliminate strays before the games.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/02/...ll-stray-dogs/

I hope that PETA and other animal rights activist groups make themselves useful!
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    I just read this article about Russian efforts to eliminate strays before the games.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/02/...ll-stray-dogs/

I hope that PETA and other animal rights activist groups make themselves useful!
    Pick your battles. You're talking about a Third World country, with an unstable government, a monumental security/dissident/terrorist problem, which was the ill-advised choice to be this go-round's International Ambassador of Peace. I'm just hoping none of the ATHLETES wind up getting exterminated, never mind stray dogs. They're making the Olympic Village sound like "Stalag 13."

Ugh.

24 members found this post helpful.

Athens did the same thing when they hosted. Population was right back where it was within a few years. Spay/neuter is not the norm and they really don't have the money for state sponsored action or big education pushes to change the attitudes that allow so many strays.

Both countries have far greater problems and financial challenges. It's too bad but not anything we can do.

At least I got why they picked Athens...
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

3 members found this post helpful.

i saw that too. Very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Pick your battles. You're talking about a Third World country, with an unstable government, a monumental security/dissident/terrorist problem, which was the ill-advised choice to be this go-round's International Ambassador of Peace. I'm just hoping none of the ATHLETES wind up getting exterminated, never mind stray dogs. They're making the Olympic Village sound like "Stalag 13."

Ugh.
    RUSSIA is not a third world country by a long shot. According to its Wikipedia entry-

"The Russian economy ranks as the eighth largest by nominal GDP and sixth largest by purchasing power parity. Russia's extensive mineral and energy resources, the largest reserves in the world, have made it one of the largest producers of oil and natural gas globally. The country is one of the five recognized nuclear weapons states and possesses the largest stockpile of weapons of mass destruction. Russia is a great power and a permanent member of the United Nations Security Council, a member of the G8, G20, the Council of Europe, the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation, the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation, the Eurasian Economic Community, the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), and the World Trade Organisation (WTO) and the leading member of the Commonwealth of Independent States."

I, too, am concerned about terrorism at the games. But I don't think that it is relevant to the discussion of how Russia treats its feral canine population. I don't think that Russia should get a pass on this like it was an improverished country.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Pick your battles. You're talking about a Third World country,
    Second World. Russia is not a Third World country.

Horrible about the dogs. I saw this on the news earlier.

I have been to Russia. Outside a very few westernized city centers? It IS a third world country no matter what Wikipedia says. Complicated by regional strife (sometimes centuries old) and chaotic and corrupt local governments.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

18 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    I have been to Russia. Outside a very few westernized city centers? It IS a third world country no matter what Wikipedia says. Complicated by regional strife (sometimes centuries old) and chaotic and corrupt local governments.
    So have I (been to Russia.) It is the government and top officials and businessmen who have the power and the money, which is considerable. Guess what, it is those people who are running the Olympics and not some babushka who gathers mushrooms for a living. It is those who are running the country (and the Olympics) who we should hold to a higher standard of humane practices.

2 members found this post helpful.

I think China did the same thing and they included cats in the roundup....probably
    was before the Chinese Olympics a couple of years ago.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    I too have been to Russia. It's not a Third World country unless you look at similar areas in the USA and proclaim that the US is also a third world country.

5 members found this post helpful.

They are pests, and potentially dangerous. Despite some heartwarming adoption stories, that's what was generally done with stray dog packs by our troops in Afghanistan too.

That said, I'd like some PETA activists to go up against higher-up Russian government officials, in person. No matter the outcome, it'd be a win.
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

17 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    RUSSIA is not a third world country by a long shot. According to its Wikipedia entry-

"The Russian economy ranks as the eighth largest by nominal GDP and sixth largest by purchasing power parity. Russia's extensive mineral and energy resources, the largest reserves in the world, have made it one of the largest producers of oil and natural gas globally. The country is one of the five recognized nuclear weapons states and possesses the largest stockpile of weapons of mass destruction. Russia is a great power and a permanent member of the United Nations Security Council, a member of the G8, G20, the Council of Europe, the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation, the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation, the Eurasian Economic Community, the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), and the World Trade Organisation (WTO) and the leading member of the Commonwealth of Independent States."

I, too, am concerned about terrorism at the games. But I don't think that it is relevant to the discussion of how Russia treats its feral canine population. I don't think that Russia should get a pass on this like it was an improverished country.
    Agreed that Russia is most definately not third world.

Round up and killing of stray animals, not just dogs, is pretty common in lots of Eastern European countries and even some parts of continental Europe. Honestly, provided that the euthanasia is humane, it may not be a bad thing. It isn't healthy for humans or animal to have a huge population of strays and will all those un-fixed strays it's a problem that will continue to spiral out of control.

9 members found this post helpful.

Russia is not an LDC but it is very much a developing country. There is also a huge gap between classes. Russia would be on the higher end of developing world countries, but in terms of countries it is similar to it is closer to China, India, Brazil and South Africa than it is to the US, Western Europe, Japan, and the rest of the MDCs.

We kill 3 to 4 million dogs and cats in shelters every year, some by gas and some by heart stick. How are we any different?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

29 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    We kill 3 to 4 million dogs and cats in shelters every year, some by gas and some by heart stick. How are we any different?
    I think a lot of people haven't seen feral stray populations that the developing world has. I think of Detroit as a city with a huge first generation stray population. This isn't a first generation stray problem this is a problem that has been around forever.

I also don't think a lot of people have seen what happens when a pack of untouched, non socialized dog runs across someone they see as easy pickings. It is very unusual for someone to be mauled in the US by a pack of feral dogs, It is not rare in the developing world. The US dogs are also not huge public disease carrier.

9 members found this post helpful.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Agreed LauraKY! Hypocritical thread, since we just do ours in a slower, behind doors fashion. Parts of this country also practice the "no spay/neuter, pets are disposable" routine. I'm unsurprised that this happened. Sad, but inevitable that stray dogs and cats have short, unpleasant lives whether they live in Sochi or in Seattle.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

7 members found this post helpful.

I don't remember any round ups before the LA or Atlanta Olympics. Allowing large feral populations is the problem in the first place. Without them, round ups would not be necessary before the Olympics.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    I too have been to Russia. It's not a Third World country unless you look at similar areas in the USA and proclaim that the US is also a third world country.
    Metro-North Railroad is consistent with a Third World Country, and I can attest!

So IFAW has been trying to work with Russia on its stray dog problem-

http://www.ifaw.org/united-states/ne...ogs-not-answer

Another pathetic failure -- as here -- in handling the animal population with a wholesale slaughter. That's the way human beings handled such -- just kill them, they are disposible, don't matter, sweep it under the rug and all is forgotten. The hapless animals die without any recognition of them being feeling, living beings who because someone doesn't claim or love them, means they are without merit. No, I don't have a solution, but this is certainly not one either. I do believe there is one other than this! I wish all the animal groups would have a forum or summitt and work together, pooling their funding, to work this out. I know we transport many dogs to no-kill shelters in New England, where they are adopted. They seem to have a control on it. It's a sad stain on our world society.
    PennyG

5 members found this post helpful.