Wow, glad nobody was hurt! Explosions are scary as heck.
A few years ago there was a power plant explosion in Middletown CT. 5 people lost their lives there, it was horrible.
That day we heard and felt the explosion for miles...at my house the boom made my ears pop and my windows rattled hard enough to crack the glass in 2 of them. Surprised the hell out of me, but I figured it was a charge gone bad somewhere nearby. My town has a lot of ledge, so any building being done often requires dynamiting ledge before a foundation can be put in.
The boom was 11 am, at noon I watched the news like I often do and was shocked it was an explosion almost 23 miles away! And it cracked my windows!
Even more surprising was when homes were damaged 10-12 miles away, one house 11 miles away had the garage door shoved in so bad it looked like someone had punched it. It was shattered and shoved into the middle of the garage! And some houses near it didn't have any damage. It was amazing to see how that concussion travelled. Apparently it reached my house and area because it travelled the path of least resistance down the CT river. Crazy!
You jump in the saddle,
Hold onto the bridle!
Jump in the line!
Alittlegray, I am so happy no one was hurt and that your property was not damaged.
I never realized how dangerous propane was until last year when a guy blew up his rv/utility vehicle renovation project. The vehicle blew up when he neglected to properly turn off or disconnect the propane. The firemen said that what probably happened was the little refrigerator went on and sparked the explosion. Flames were leaping twenty feet over the thing; it was a bonfire.
Where I used to live all those big outdoor propane tanks for filling your little personal bottle had their own cement enclosures, about two and a half, three feet high. Above ground gas tanks had them too. They started showing up after this one gas station had a leaky big tank and it flowed down the hill to the house next door and in through the vents to the crawl space - had to be a perfect set of events for this to happen but it did - the house blew to smithereens - I can't remember if this is the story where the guy and his wife wound up 150 feet away laying on their mattress unscathed, it's been a long time, but there was nothing left of that house and they never rebuilt there.
Nowadays most places have a deposit return for propane bottles, TSC and a couple others, but Southern States still fills them - right next door to an empty field.
Some people left without their pets (or weren't home to get them out) and dairy farmers were asked to leave their cows, some before they could be milked. I don't recall what happened to the cows (I think one farm was extremely close to the wreck), but of the pets left behind without food or water for weeks, only only lizard died.
We live opposite a Hell's Angel's club house, so one night as we were watching tv there was a huge bang -- we thought they had been blown up by a rival gang.
But no, about a mile away a movie crew were blowing up a house and mis-calculated the explosions.
Our bathroom window cracked and the whole house shook. Sturdy little house, it is. almost 100 years old.
We had an earthquake once - my husband was in the bath and it turned into a tsunami.
Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique
It was a crazy night...from what I understand the investigation is backing the propane heater in the basement theory. I am glad I got a photo of the chaos last night as they have already torn the house down. They wasted no time and started breaking it up around 2am. I am sure they could not leave the site a hazard. Undoubtedly someone would be unable to resist the urge to actually climb around the falling down house and then have to be rescued when the ruins fall in on them. I have learned over my 40-some odd trips to the ER never to under estimate the stupid things humans will do to themselves (or others) in the name of entertainment or out of sheer ignorance. This could have been so much worse, fortunately no one was in the structure when it blew and the blast did not take down any other homes. Amazing considering that debris from the place litters my yard.
Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!
Crazy! I have to say- that happened to me- one block over and it blew out the windows and door locks, I woke up to see a giant fireball over the treetops. I got a new garage door, eventually. They were initially thinking methlab, but it was heater related+ cigarette. The fellow who lived there did die.
Two years ago, a house that's about 3/4 mile away blew up. A neighbor was getting a sprinkler system installed, and the contractor hit a gas line. This caused an explosion in the house that blew up. The elderly lady who lived there was burned and died from her injuries. DH was home at the time and said our house shook. DD was at school about 3 blocks from the explosion. They put the school on lockdown until they knew what was going on. Scary stuff.
Gee - enough to make one into a pipeline crusader.
Perspective is our friend there.
We have millions driving down highways and see people killed in wrecks practically every evening in the news.
We still drive down highways, accidents being an extremely small percentage and everyone working to make it even smaller.
Similar to pipelines, millions out there, some fail and when they do, we hear all about it.
In general, it is a good way to get products where we want to, so we keep using it and learning more about how to do so as safe as we can.
Sad as it is if we are those involved in any one accident, no need to be scared of pipelines or driving down highways.
Oh - I agree, by and large - but up here we are embroiled in pipeline arguments.
Then we assume you will approve the Keystone pipeline?
I want someone to answer what will happen to the E-W line if it has a forest fire over the top of it, as that will happen one day, or an earthquake, as that will happen one day, or fail going over all the dozens of salmon bearing streams it has to cross over, or the ship carrying the bitumen goes off course in one of the most hazardous shipping areas on the planet... all food for thought. (Yeah, I know it is off topic.)
Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique
Happened at my parents' house some years ago, the house right across the street blew up. My dad said the same thing --- he thought an airplane had crashed --- besides insulation, there were clothes flying all over and landing in the yard. Old man who lived there was blown out the back of the house into the middle of his backyard --- some burns, but old and frail enough that he never came back to the house.
Good grief - propane and natural gas can explode and are exceptionally dangerous if there is a leak. BUT they put so much odorant in the gas that it is very easy to smell a leak.
Occasionally a house does blow up - usually when the folks are away and do not smell the leak. I suppose every couple of years or so, it occurs within the region. I prefer heating w/ gas and/or wood over electric based on cost alone. Safety I don't think is really an issue compared to electric. Isn't one of the primary causes of house fires and a leading cause of deaths due to electric heaters (igniting combustibles?)... I don't know of anyone with an electric furnace that then blows hot air. Most is electric baseboard heat, right?