The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default So, a house just blew up 100 yards away.

We were sitting here watching television around 9 pm, when we heard a terrible bang that shook our whole house. As we stepped outside, stuff started raining out of the sky into our yard. It turned out to be insulation. I initially thought it might be a plane crash, it was so loud. I am SO grateful it was an unoccupied new home a couple streets over. No one was injured, and the other homes in the area are not damaged. Apparently the builder was using a propane heater to dry wet/fresh drywall and mud in the basement. The heater apparently created a buildup of fumes, and then when the heater kicked on in the house it blew.
    I am also happy the builder was able to tell the fire fighters what was going on in the basement so we don't have to worry about a gas leak or other issue that might affect more homes.
    I have to say that it is incredibly surreal to stand there and see this house collapsed onto itself and think about how little it takes to demolish a home. Just a hundred yards or so from our home. So happy, though, that no other homes had visible damage - no shattered windows even. I think because the heater was down below ground level, it drove the blast straight up instead of out more across the area.

The news story and my photo
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow!
    Glad no one was hurt, glad you were not hurt.

About four or so years ago, at 2 am, I heard this big boom, went to look and I saw this big ball of fire.
    A 2' main gas pipeline, 20+ miles away blew up!
    I dressed and ran over there in my pickup, saw the fire departments and police and many others were already there, so went back home.

Friends that lived 2 miles from that said their windows were shattered, they ran to the garage to get the car out and the garage door was melting.
    They then ran the other way and were helped by the emergency services.

So lucky that no one was killed in that one.

Those are very scary experiences, especially as close to it as you were there!

The builder is lucky no one was hurt! When I was in high school a house blew up that was on the route for the school bus I rode. The owners wife was inside and died. He had recently installed a gas log in his fireplace and since the house didn't have natural gas run to it, he put a bottle in the garage. He did all the work and apparently there was a small leak. He was out of town the first time she lit the log that winter.

And I was expecting to see "meth lab explosion" when I opened this thread. I keep hoping to hear a loud bang from my neighbor's house...I'm pretty sure they're cooking.

9 members found this post helpful.

I was expecting meth lab too… in a town I used to live in there was a meth-lab blow up. The next day, someone posted a sign out front that read "This is your house on drugs"

23 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Wow!
    Glad no one was hurt, glad you were not hurt.

About four or so years ago, at 2 am, I heard this big boom, went to look and I saw this big ball of fire.
    A 2' main gas pipeline, 20+ miles away blew up!
    I dressed and ran over there in my pickup, saw the fire departments and police and many others were already there, so went back home.

Friends that lived 2 miles from that said their windows were shattered, they ran to the garage to get the car out and the garage door was melting.
    They then ran the other way and were helped by the emergency services.

So lucky that no one was killed in that one.

Those are very scary experiences, especially as close to it as you were there!
    The gas main is what I was afraid of initially. I dragged all the people and pets into the truck with me until we were able to get information from the crews on scene that the gas pipes here were not the cause. I was worried we would have to find a hotel willing to accommodate four people, a dog, a cat, and two parrots! Thankfully the builders were quickly on site and able to give the rescue crews the information that they had been using a portable propane heater in the basement. Otherwise I am sure it would have taken hours to ascertain if the neighborhood was safe.
    I was so, so incredibly relieved to learn it was unoccupied and that even though there was insulation blown everywhere the adjacent homes are all okay. The really odd thing is that the light was still on in the top floor bedroom at the front of the house. They had pulled the electrical by the time I took the photo, so you can't tell. But to see the bathroom sink in the middle of the lawn and have the lights still be on upstairs was just crazy.
    Tonight I am incredibly happy that my home is in one piece, for sure!
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

I had a biker bar down the street blow up when I first moved into my house. It was the middle of the night and I only heard the firetrucks as they drove past my house. I think it was a turf war. Pieces everywhere the next day.

Wow! Glad no one was hurt.
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon

Wow! Glad everyone is okay! Our neighbor's tree got hit by lightning and the current went all of the way into the roots and burst a gas line buried next to it. It blew bark a block away. Luckily everyone was fine.

I thought "gas line" because it seems like gas lines blow all the time A house a few towns away blew up last year, everyone survived, miraculously. Philly regularly blows up a couple of row homes by accident (which if you're familiar with Philly history, is something of a bad joke).

Sounds like meth to me too, glad that was not the case and that your house is ok.

Great photo! Glad the neighborhood was unscathed.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

That happened to a friend. The builder was using a propane heater to help dry the drywall mud and kaboom! House was almost finished.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

We had a very large news story here where two people were trying to get insurance money from burning their home down with a gas leak. They caused an overflow from the gas fireplace and started a spark in the microwave while they left the home.

They caused a massive explosion that killed two people next door in the blast, damaged 36 homes, 12 were unfit to occupy, and 4 had to be demolished. They also caused a fire that quickly spread.

http://iusportcom.com/wp-content/upl...estruction.jpg

If you look at the picture and where the two homes in the middle used to be I think it's amazing that evidence could still be found.

they has to be using an improper fuel as those heaters are supposed to use 1-K Kerosene.

A risk of explosion is present with even trace amounts of gasoline mixed in the fuel

When I was getting my current house built, the builder suggested, while they had a propane tank for the generator, why not run a line to the fireplace and make it a gas one.

I told him I didn't play with fire, to leave well enough alone, that is why the house was all electric.
    That was dangerous enough, no sense in pushing our luck adding gas to the mix.

Years ago when I worked in homebuilding there was a truly "freak" explosion in a home near the neighborhood I worked in.

Some fumes from a glue used for a vapor barrier had built up in what was to be a sunken-type living room. A worker using a nail gun in/near the buildup accidentally struck the concrete slab, and the resulting spark blew the place to bits.

The only explosion I can think of that happened near me was when Eric Rodolph blew up the Birmingham Women's Clinic. I was living downtown at the time and was getting ready for work. I heard a muffled boom, the windows rattled and I though, "what the hell???" I was miles away from where the bomb went off.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

many years ago this one guy lost his house while he and the family where on a camping trip. Blew his little house right off the foundation...
    I don't think the culprit was ever found.
    The man had involved the community in a long standing row with the courts over usage of public facilities that predated his little kingdom....it's unclear if somebody blew it up to spite him, or if he did it to safe face moving out...aside from his sad face in a national tabloid (the thing that cured me from believing a word they print, since we all knew the real story) nobody shed a tear. Matter of fact, I think a lot of people toasted that little incident...

I think it was some gasoline in the basement, the vapours went 'poof'
    Good times, good times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

They had a fire last week here in a new fancy house being built.
    The painters were staining in a closed up room and something lit the fumes and the whole room started burning.
    Two are in the burn hospital the other two were treated and released.

I think some painters like to get high on those fumes, that is why they take those chances.

It did a good $100,000 damage to the almost finished house.

Now, that OP picture, well, that would have killed anyone close to that.