The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I hate cell phone companies!!

Mostly a rant.

DD did *something* to my phone. Anytime I open an app, it randomly selects a lucky contestant from my phone book to call. I brought it in to Sprint and they were befuddled as well. Sent it in to be fixed, and they had no clue what she'd done. DH signed the contract, and didn't get the insurance added to the lines (our mistake, I get that).

No big deal. I have an older T-Mobile iPhone that works perfectly fine. Called T-Mobile to get the unlock code since we met all the requirements (so I thought). Nope. The phone has to have been active at least once in the last 7 days on the T-Mobile network. The phone is paid for, we paid the ETF when we cancelled the account... gah!

So my options are 1) shell out $$$ for a new phone or 2) shell out $$$ for a new phone.

So frustrating!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    I have an older T-Mobile iPhone that works perfectly fine. Called T-Mobile to get the unlock code since we met all the requirements (so I thought). Nope. The phone has to have been active at least once in the last 7 days on the T-Mobile network.
    (I'm a lifelong Verizon person so forgive me for not knowing how T-Mobile works) So they won't activate a T-Mobile phone because it has not been active for 7 days?!?!! I think I'd have a comeapart with them. Can you take it to a store and see if they will activate it?

My fiancé washed his phone this week, at least he did laundry right?... it's kind of working but not for long. He doesn't want to sign up for a new contract because he loves the plan he has so we have been looking for phones. New ones are major $$, shocked me (I have a work supplied phone so I get whatever I want every 2 years). But he did find a used one on craigslist. We are meeting the seller at Verizon at lunch today to get everything done. They will make sure it isn't stolen and it works and it's a safe public place for us.

1 members found this post helpful.

You won't get any good reviews from me for Sprint OR T-Mobile. Sprint was no where near what I'd call flexible or helpful and I've never known anyone who had good service from T-Mobile. USCellular, yes, but I lost them when they moved out of the Chicago/St. Louis market. Was a 12 year Verizon customer before and now I'm back with them, had to drop them before because their tower here was down for two years and I couldn't call home or call out from there. I'm back on with them now.
    Proud Member of the "I Don't Do Facebook" Clique

1 members found this post helpful.

This is not adding up and I am betting the FCC has some lingo to address this. Or you are misunderstanding what they said. THAT is common with most cell customers.

If the old phone was a prepay phone then they can limit if they activate it on a contract line.

signed, ex-VZW Supervisor
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    You won't get any good reviews from me for Sprint OR T-Mobile. Sprint was no where near what I'd call flexible or helpful and I've never known anyone who had good service from T-Mobile. USCellular, yes, but I lost them when they moved out of the Chicago/St. Louis market. Was a 12 year Verizon customer before and now I'm back with them, had to drop them before because their tower here was down for two years and I couldn't call home or call out from there. I'm back on with them now.
    Chicago person here too. Left Sprint to go to USCellular, so why would I want to go back? Have moved to Verizon (and an iPhone from a Blackberry) -- so far so good, but it's only been a week. Basically went with Verizon because they are the only ones with coverage at the barn
    "Let's face it -- Beezie Madden is NOT looking over her shoulder for me anytime
    soon . . . or ever, even in her worst nightmares."

Member, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous

A T-Mobile phone WON'T work on the Sprint network anyway. They use two different technologies. Sprint is CDMA. TMO is GSM.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407896,00.asp

Have you done a hard reset of your current phone?

I use Virgin Mobile. Its much cheaper. No contracts either.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    A T-Mobile phone WON'T work on the Sprint network anyway. They use two different technologies. Sprint is CDMA. TMO is GSM.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407896,00.asp

Have you done a hard reset of your current phone?
    Kind of. You can root or jail break pretty much any phone now to use on any carrier. The newer smart ones anyway. There is no *unlock* code but I always get push back about that because even though it does not exist, people just swear they know someone who knows someone who knows someone next door to Aunt Martha by the maple tree that had one given to them LOL!! The only lock is for stolen or lost devices and that is just an ESN block for activation.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I have a lot of luck getting replacement phones from Ebay. There are EBay sellers that specialize in cell phones with tens of thousands of sales.
    All of my phones have been SIM card based. Buy the exact replacement or one that uses the same SIM and have a phone to me in a few days.
    I had one that was shipped and it didn't work. Seller shipped me a another one no questions asked. Didn't even want the first one back.
    No these were not smart phones so it was no great loss for the seller to not get it back.
    Every one was cheaper than the deductible would have been on the insurance. Let alone if I had paid for years of insurance with no claims.
    Try EBay
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

That's the downside of moving also. I couldn't believe when I moved to eastern Alabama that only one company had coverage (Verizon), and that when I lived near Fort Rucker I actually had more choices. It's kind of funny that whenever I talk to the AT&T (my landline company) they keep pushing their bundling services, and tell me about their great cell service I can get, then I remind them that they don't cover this area, and you can hear rattling key strikes in the background, and they're always shocked that I'm right, and their company doesn't cover here.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White