The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Oh no, not again! My Feet!! NEW Update!

I cannot believe it. I think I have given myself plantar fasciitis AGAIN! Only this time it is my left foot.
    A little bad foot history.
    MAny years ago I worked in a hospital, walking all day on cement floors. Well developed a horrid pain in my right foot.
    Long story short, Found an awesome podiatrist and was able to cure it. I have been pain free for years. Well at least that part.
    I have the worlds worst feet, first off they are totally flat! I mean pancake flat, My ex said they are hobbit feet, LOL and well, they are. I have never worn heels, not for 20 years, I have a wicked mortons neuroma in my left foot, which has bothered me for a good 10 years on and off. I have a wicked huge bunion on my left big toe joint, but has never hurt as long as I wear tennis shoes, or good fitting barn boots.
    The one rule I stuck to was NEVER go bare foot. And I never did, in the old house, wore tennis shoes with inserts all the time. The minute I got out of bed in the morning.
    Well That all changed when I bought this house, I would take off my muddy boots or garden clogs at the door and walk barefoot in wool socks, and I just did not seem to have a problem. Until yesterday morning. I got out of bed and practically fell to my knees, the pain was so great, and familiar. I thought, no way cannot be happening. I loaded up on Advil, and did not hurt all afternoon.
    This morning, It was way worse, could barely hobble around.
    I put on my tennis shoes and took more advil.
    I am so mad at myself. It is going to be a bitch if I cannot get this under control. I walk all the time. I garden and mow and have to walk for work.
    ANy ideas? And suggestions on great supportive tennis shoes? I have always found that Asics or Avias were the best for me. No hard leather on the bunion.
    And as for The doc? well I have NO insurance and cannot even afford an office visit, well maybe One.
    I am screwed without my feet.
    Last edited by Sannois; Feb. 20, 2014 at 06:46 PM.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

start your stretches and icing NOW… hopefully it will calm down quickly.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    start your stretches and icing NOW… hopefully it will calm down quickly.
    I did, Well I did the stretches, I forgot about the icing.
    You sound like you have had experience with this Maya?
    I swore I would NEVER let this happen again, Why am I blessed with horrid feet, I like to do things, move around. It is all the years on my feet.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

First thing the doctors here will do is put you on shoes with a thick, stiff sole, like hiking boots.
    You can get those with soft uppers and big toe boxes, to fit your other problems and larger so you can add inserts if necessary.

I broke three bones in one foot, didn't go to the Dr for half a year, when I did I was put on some insert and hiking boots, the Dr said "everyone" working on their feet for any stretch needs to do that if they have any problems.
    Cowboy boots were out, totally, forever banned, he said.

So, why not try some of those hiking boots, Vasque is the brand that fits me best, but there are plenty others out there just as good.

Old Dansko pull ons were wonderful, the newer models not so much.

You can also get special light braces to sleep in that will keep those tendons stretched, so they don't contract overnight.

yeah sadly, though nothing really "cured" it, including cortisone shots. It comes and goes… when it's here, I do a lot of stretches and rolling a frozen water bottle under my foot. Not much else I can do about it. I also don't go barefoot at all anymore, I wear slippers - Haflinger brand which seem to have a little arch support… it's all I can wear.. I go through a few pairs per year haha.

1 members found this post helpful.

Someone mentioned a specific type of (foot) massage that helps with this - perhaps Google that?
    Sandy in Fla.

Keep the stories coming guys. I know being outdoorsey horse folks this is not an uncommon problem.
    I did it myself, Going barefoot all the time in this new house.
    I do not know what I was thinking, except they did not hurt.
    Man am I a dope.
    I just ordered a really good pair of asics with excellent arch support, we will see how they are.
    I will look up the massage thing. I started doing my stretches, Yeah I always wondered about those foot braces for at night, Cause that is when it is worse after they contract and you try to stand up in the morning.
    Iwant GOOD feet. Too late~

Get a boot to sleep in!!! They help tremendously. I will wear it before I know I am going to be on my feet all day even if my feet aren't bothering me at the time.

I got custom orthodics and those puppies are miracles. If you don't have them, invest in a pair. I know that my dads insurance (I was 19 when I was diagnosed) did not cover them and they were a few hundred dollars but they are metal coated in heavy duty plastic and covered in leather. I think I will have them til the day I die.

Get some cans of frozen juice concentrate and roll those under your feet. Ices and stretches at the same time.

Good luck, heal quick!

I feel for you. I had PF in my right foot a few years ago and I can still feel it, some days. My doctor said never, ever to walk barefoot or in any crappy shoes anymore (those "mush" Teva flip flops that I wore all summer long, for instance *sigh*).

Now my left foot feels sensitive and so I am very careful about wearing good quality shoes with arch support. I have lots of inserts that I can put in my other shoes, as well. Never will I wear shoes with no arch support ever again.
    I am most comfortable in Clarks, Merrels (but not all! Some kill my feet!), and Ariats. For the so-so shoes, in go the inserts. Footsmart.com has tons of "solutions" for PF, you have to look it up and find what's good for you: for instance, I can't wear Orthoheels even tho they are supposed to be specifically designed to help with PF. But I found leather inserts that are thin and just perfect.
    PF sucks big time. People who've never had it can't understand the pain. Like stepping of a shard of glass every step you take.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I got this the first time at WEF when I thought it would be a great idea to wear those short cowboy boots in the sand. Wrong! Ouch its a bugger and hurts like heck.

I had one recurring case many years later and I quickly resolved it.

Here are my tricks for this bad boy:

I like Asics but I love Orthaheel sneakers and slippers. I also have their inserts for my paddock boots. It's all about finding what works to support your particular foot.
    http://www.amazon.com/Orthaheel-Wome.../dp/B0059CZMTI

Ace wraps are your friends. Wrap the offending foot at night and it stops the morning pain getting up and hopping.

As others have said.... stretching, ice and anti-inflammatories too.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

Quote Originally Posted by equisusan View Post
    I got this the first time at WEF when I thought it would be a great idea to wear those short cowboy boots in the sand. Wrong! Ouch its a bugger and hurts like heck.

I had one recurring case many years later and I quickly resolved it.

Here are my tricks for this bad boy:

I like Asics but I love Orthaheel sneakers and slippers. I also have their inserts for my paddock boots. It's all about finding what works to support your particular foot.
    http://www.amazon.com/Orthaheel-Wome.../dp/B0059CZMTI

Ace wraps are your friends. Wrap the offending foot at night and it stops the morning pain getting up and hopping.

As others have said.... stretching, ice and anti-inflammatories too.
    Oh thanks for that, And all your responses.
    I am so bloody mad at myself for going barefoot in the house for the past 4 months. What in the lords name was I thinking.
    And man I am paying for it now. Interested to see those slippers.
    It feels okay now, but then I have taken advil and am wearing tennies with supports. And I have stretched.
    How many times a day for stretches? Should I ice it at night while Watching TV?
    I was reading about the rolling the tennis ball under the foot trick.
    Going to look into those inserts. I have a feeling my Ariat terrain H20's that I have been wearing outside all winter to shovel and go here and there are not helping either.
    Okay edited to add, I> just ordered from Zappos the Ortha heel slippers and Tennies. Asics. There's 150.00 that I did not have, but my penance.
    The reviews on the slippers were great for people with PF. Fingers crossed. I got free shipping anyway!

Honestly, none of the stretches, ice, heat, good shoes, etc., helped me.

My cure?

http://www.heel-that-pain.com/

The specific cups shown on this page:
    http://www.heel-that-pain.com/planta...itis/index.php

Waking up was always the WORST. Never knowing if you'll stand when you get out of bed or land in a heap as your entire body gives out from the pain. Using those heel cups in every shoe I wore for a couple months made the pain go away 100%. Now, I would bet it will return on me.... but I still have them to help avoid that.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I had PF in one foot, got it settled, and then wound up with it in the other foot. All the above suggestions are fine.

Watch out for the statin Lipitor: A friend of mine thought she had come down with PF, learned the stretches, did the icing, bought the night brace-boot, and tossed out all of her old shoes and replaced them. Then her other knee started to ache, and that's when she found out that she was one of the people who cannot tolerate the statin Lipitor. Got off the Lipitor, and all of the aching problems disappeared. So the MD put her on Red Yeast instead. Once she hit 1000 mg's the pain in both places came right back. Supposedly there is a statin for folks who cannot tolerate Lipitor.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    ...Waking up was always the WORST. Never knowing if you'll stand when you get out of bed or land in a heap as your entire body gives out from the pain...
    Sannois, I feel for you. Hope it gets better soon. I've had a few bouts of foot problems which were extremely painful and lasted for months. It is the pits and affects so much of your life. I wish I had good advice, but the suggestions already posted are much better than mine; I wish you well.

I feel for you too-I had a mild case in my right foot a couple years ago and even though it wasn't horrible, holy cow getting out of bed really really sucked. So no suggestions outside of what has already been suggested, just some empathy!

I had it too... and my simple fix, which I hope works for you is, Dr Scholl's sneakers from Wal-Mart.

I buy two pair at a time, so I always have a brand new pair on stand-by. I also remove the inner sole from the dead pair and re-purpose it in my Ariat Terrains, removing their innersole.

No pain in 2 years.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    I had it too... and my simple fix, which I hope works for you is, Dr Scholl's sneakers from Wal-Mart.

I buy two pair at a time, so I always have a brand new pair on stand-by. I also remove the inner sole from the dead pair and re-purpose it in my Ariat Terrains, removing their innersole.

No pain in 2 years.
    Really made a difference? Wow, And I bet they are cheaper than the 100 something I spent on the asics.
    thanks Choco, and all of you for the advise and empathy.
    Feet are nothing to mess with, no hoof no horse~

I have had PF in the past and what helped for me was a combination of ice, using a golf ball to massage the bottom of my foot while I was sitting at work and regular massage that included my lower leg. My PF seemed to be coming from tight soleus/gastroc muscles and once they released, I was much more comfortable. At it's worst, I had to hop around my house for the first twenty minutes I was up because I could not put my foot down so you have my sympathy. I hope it settles down soon!

Very timely for me, too. Just getting past the worst of it. I'm using my running shoes all the time...even at night to go to the bathroom.

And waiting for my Ariat terrains to come in! I don't want this every again.
    Ride like you mean it.

I feel your pain! Icing helps, and I wear New Balance shoes with the arthritis/PF insert. For a while I wore a brace at night and that helped a lot. Now I can wear boots occasionally but still stick to my New Balance most of the time. I have pancake flat feet, too, but no bunions. To add to the fun I have long, wide feet and have to wear men's shoes in an 11.5 4E. The brace to wear at night, though, will make a huge difference.