The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Anyone NOT Watch TV

I typically don't watch TV. I *might* get into a show on Netflix once a year or so, but sitting down just to turn on the TV seems like such a waste of time. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy relaxing. I rather spend it on the computer where I'm using my brain and not just zoning out. I always get strange looks when people ask if I've seen xyz and I tell them I don't watch TV.
    Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com

1 members found this post helpful.

When I am alone I turn the TV off.
    DH is addicted though I believe. First thing he does coming home, he often turns it on before he leaves the room, too.

Nothing really I do watch, not even on netflix (matter of fact most things I would love to watch are not available for streaming...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Nope, hard of hearing, so other than the news, easier to hear with a talking head speaking clearly, don't watch any other.
    Last movie I saw was in 1972, so no movies either.

Growing up we watched cartoons in the movie theaters.
    Since those were in English and we didn't speak that language and I could not hear but squeaky voices, for years I though that the cartoon figures were speaking a made belief garbled language, sounding like a duck, quack-quak, or grumbling like bear, but meaningless otherwise.
    What a surprise once I learned English, living in the USA, that cartoon characters were speaking real words.

Don't miss any of it, but sure wonder when threads speak of TV, movies and actors, hard to follow those.

1 members found this post helpful.

I do not watch TV. When DH and I were first married I noticed he had not been watching much TV at night. He replied "Well, I spilled a soda down the back of it 3 weeks ago and fried it." Shows how much I turn on the TV.

When I travel for business I never turn on the TV except the rare occasion to check local weather.

DH frequently has the TV on but is not a die-hard follower of any show. He loves Elementary but won't die if he cant' watch it. So we don't pay for TV. We are using a trial membership of Netflix so he could watch Sherlock.

I prefer to play on the computer or read. For backround noise I prefer radio.

At one place I housesit the owners crate the dogs when nobody is home and when they sleep. The dogs are in crates a lot when I house sit since I have a real job and a horse.

Therefore I will stretch out on the couch and watch TV with them. I tried reading withoug much luck. 2 of them want to be snuggled on top of me so it makes it uncomfortable to read. They have a chi, a pom and mini aussie.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

The only "TV" I watch is Grey's Anatomy, and I blame my roommates for getting me hooked on that.

I just don't get why people spend so much time watching it.. but then again I don't have a facebook, twitter, or instagram either.. and I'm a college kid, so I'm definitely not the norm.

I don't have one.

I'll catch the Daily Show online and watch whatever Bones/Law and Order marathon is on when I am home visiting the parents but that is about it.

I don't watch a lot of TV, and most of that small amount is PBS. Instead, I take courses online at coursera.org. they are free, and you can do as much or as little of the assignment material as you wish. I have begun a 6 week course on learning to play the guitar. I also do a lot of reading.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

I don't. I have a TV- and I have Netflix or Amazon instant something or other if there is a show I hear I would like.

I can't imagine sitting in front of the boob tube every day!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I watch very little TV-- I do follow Downton Abbey and I'll catch the occasional documentary history show, but that's about it-- I probably watch less than 2 hours per week.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

2 members found this post helpful.

Not only have we not owned a television for years, but we have never had cable! I prefer to read, keep up to date on the news via various online news outlets and get my entertainment through classical concerts and sometimes movies online. I have to be very careful with what I read and watch, really unnerving stuff and I have terrible dreams.
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

I have a TV, but I use it more to watch Netflix or Amazon Prime on it through my Wii or Roku. I have the very basic cable (like 6 channels if that) and I only keep that for watching the occasional "important" thing -- big weather reports, presidential elections, Kentucky Derby and other horse sports on a national channel, the Olympics, etc.

But now with that stuff being online more, it's really not necessary, especially since most of the channels keep about five episodes available at a time. I'll save them up to do a weekend binge while I'm working on my latest knitting project.

The only show I think I'll follow on the TV in the near future is the new season of Hannibal, but more often I'll be watching it on the NBC website the day after the broadcast. I may watch the Olympics in the evenings if for nothing more than background noise.

I've not had cable since 2003. I pulled the plug on it then as a cost-cutting measure, and found that I did not miss it. I watch a few things on Netflix or other sources online, but otherwise, I don't feel the need for TV.

We don't have a working tv, so no DVDs or anything like that, and we don't have an Internet package that supports the bandwidth of tv or movies online. I do have small binges when I have the opportunity :-). Every now and then we talk about getting a tv and doing Netflix instead of cable, but I don't think it's likely to happen.

I watch very little television, and when I do, usually it's along the lines of The History Channel or some such. A couple of series like Criminal Minds and Law & Order SVU have made it onto my radar, but I watch them mostly on DVD sets.
    Proud Member of the "I Don't Do Facebook" Clique

I haven't had a TV since 2007. Don't miss it.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

We don't have one, and I haven't for over twenty years at this point. So, not a lot of television, BUT, with the age of the internet, I will confess to now having watched all of Game of Thrones and I am almost finished with Downton Abbey.

I have also watched in the past few years, some Dr. Who episodes and Firefly. In some ways, it's nice to touch a bit on popular culture. I could never imagine myself watching any kind of "reality television." Sounds pretty awful to me.

Nope, we cut back to very basic cable about 6-7 years ago, then early in 2011 we cut it out completely. We added in Netflix about a year ago, just for something to do on the long winter nights sometimes.

Now that we're redecorating, I'm trying to convince DH that we should get rid of the tv altogether, as it's too large and doesn't fit my country decor!!
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

I have an actual TV, but I only have it to watch movies on. It is not hooked up to any form of television conveyance (there is a dish in my yard from previous tenants, but I've never had it hooked up. Sometimes, new acquaintances are confused as to why they see the dish yet I don't watch TV).

I get my news mostly from NPR and some internet reading/watching. I occasionally catch up on things like the Daily Show via the internet, but even that is sparing since my internet access is through a Verizon MiFi. While it works great and the plan has a huge amount of data, watching hours of shows will blow through it in a hurry.

I get DVDs from Netflix, but even then I go through spells where I don't feel like watching a movie, so they sit for weeks before I decide to watch them.

I do admit to getting a little TV crazed when I get it in front of me. If I am at my mom's, we basically geek out on HGTV the whole time I'm there. At Christmas, I watched the entire third season of Homeland, since I had binge watched the first two while injured. But I don't miss it once I'm home.

Once in a very long while, I'll think "this would be a morning where I'd like to listen to the mindless prattle of the Today Show" or "God. I wish I could watch Ghost Adventures right now." But, mostly, I'm very indifferent to TV.

Quote Originally Posted by laskiblue View Post
    I've not had cable since 2003. I pulled the plug on it then as a cost-cutting measure, and found that I did not miss it. I watch a few things on Netflix or other sources online, but otherwise, I don't feel the need for TV.
    Ditto this. We only have a TV left over from when we had cable (about 9 years ago). It's not digital nor flat screened. We do watch movies through netflix and some TV shows through them if it is an interesting one.

I hardly do, if I ever do it's usually online. We don't have cable or satellite and I don't miss it at ALL!