The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cancelled flight - so I'm sleeping in the Atlanta airport

We were actually on the departure runway at Atlanta Int'l airport, de-iced after an hour wait (was supposed to be three hours but suddenly were rushed to the head of the line because our destination (Key West) had a twilight limit for large planes), ready to taxi....and were called back to the gate and deplaned.

We had just missed the "arrive by twilight" deadline. Our flight to Paradise joined the long list of 1,800 flights cancelled. As of now every Delta flight to Key West is booked through Friday.

I rebooked on an am flight into Miami tomorrow and my sister is driving up from Key West to pick me up and take me down. I really wouldn't mind renting a car and driving down through the Keys - that would be fun, but she wants to come pick me up.

I luf my darling baby sis.

Sooooo, jingles needed the am Miami flight will be a go.

So, fellow COTHers - who else has bunked down in an airport overnight? What can I expect sleeping on a row of gate seats? I always carry my microfleece blanket with me, and I have the airline's little blanket as well as a pillow. Should I try to stay up all night, or catch some cat naps? (I'm a night person as it is). Treating this as an adventure!

PS - every available hotel around the airport was solidly booked as of 11am this morning.

Sent from my Android tablet in snowy icy Atlanta Georgia

Knock wood I have never had to spend the night in an airport, but jingling for an uneventful night for you and some sleep. Good for you for bringing an extra blanket as well!!

You sound astoundingly prepared! And you have a great attitude about it! It IS an adenture!

I hate the drive from Miami down to Key Largo but then....paradise(or was anyway). Stop on Bahia Honda! I love just thinking about where you are going (we are going to minus something or other here)

when I was 13 I was to fly from West Palm to Miami to meet my family then fly to Jamaica. But...my flight was cancelled. No worries, got on the next one. But.....that was cancelled too! Hmmmm. I met a guy who was also trying to get to Miami, and a women - all strangers. We split the car three ways and drove, but I told the airlines to let my family know I was driving down. My mom got that message and thought "WTF?? she is 13? What do you mean she is DRIVING???"

We had a lovely drive from WPB down to Miami, they dropped me off at the airlines where I met my family who were SMOKING mad!! Not sure I'd do that today but then....seemed like an adventure!

here's hoping Atlanta Miami is a GO for tomorrow!!!

3 members found this post helpful.

Was stuck overnight TWICE in one week at Newark Airport. Sucked big time. Didn't even have a blanket. Lying on the floor trying to sleep with hundreds of others. YUCK! Hope you at least can be warm in your blankie.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

1 members found this post helpful.

Ugh...so sorry! Sleeping at the airport is no fun, I've only had to do it once, at La Guardia, some years ago. The floor is better than trying to sleep on the seats, IMO. Just in case you do, miraculously, manage to fall asleep, move your cash and credit cards into pockets close to your body and put your purse under your head (I used mine for a "pillow" since I didn't have one) or body somewhere, so no one make a grab for it without waking you up.

3 members found this post helpful.

Chicago O'Hare one night waiting for a flight to Cincinnati.

Not my idea of a fun time... sucker got postponed and postponed and postponed until flight crew was over time limit, flight cancelled and the closest hotels around O'Hare were about an hour away (at 1:00am for a 6:00am flight).

I was fine in my nice little secluded corner until the snorer showed up!

That stinks - sorry! We do have a pretty nice airport though. There are plenty of places to eat....
    Y'all ain't right!

at least it's a nice airport. Ben and Jerry's for consolation?!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

If you need a shower in the morning, the Delta sky club lets you buy one day passes, and the sky clubs at ATL have showers. The cost is 50$ but they do provide towels, and toiletries. Depending on what time your flight is you could also take advantage of the TVs and bar.

I think but don't quote me that somewhere in the airport is a micro hotel with beds.

Ask your airline if the airport provides cots.

In a little while go to one of the terminals of an airline that does only domestic flights frontier or find Deltas domestic flight smaller concourse and take a snooze, the lights are dim and the activity will die out.

Quote Originally Posted by 5chestnuts View Post
    We were actually on the departure runway at Atlanta Int'l airport, de-iced after an hour wait (was supposed to be three hours but suddenly were rushed to the head of the line because our destination (Key West) had a twilight limit for large planes), ready to taxi....and were called back to the gate and deplaned.

We had just missed the "arrive by twilight" deadline. Our flight to Paradise joined the long list of 1,800 flights cancelled. As of now every Delta flight to Key West is booked through Friday.

I rebooked on an am flight into Miami tomorrow and my sister is driving up from Key West to pick me up and take me down. I really wouldn't mind renting a car and driving down through the Keys - that would be fun, but she wants to come pick me up.

I luf my darling baby sis.

Sooooo, jingles needed the am Miami flight will be a go.

So, fellow COTHers - who else has bunked down in an airport overnight? What can I expect sleeping on a row of gate seats? I always carry my microfleece blanket with me, and I have the airline's little blanket as well as a pillow. Should I try to stay up all night, or catch some cat naps? (I'm a night person as it is). Treating this as an adventure!

PS - every available hotel around the airport was solidly booked as of 11am this morning.

Sent from my Android tablet in snowy icy Atlanta Georgia
    At least you have one big airport there to find a spot in! I got delayed about 4-6 hours in a Vegas airport once during a storm outage and camped out right there on the terminal floor carpet...had my microfleece blanket and travel pillow, nice fresh air coming in along the floor off the jetway, so it was pretty comfy. The two relatives with me were not prepared and NOT happy!
    Proud Member of the "I Don't Do Facebook" Clique

I spent a night in the Dallas airport -- they gave us a cot and a thin blanket. As a result of this adventure I always carry my phone charger with me as they didn't let have our checked bags. It was an interesting experience -- I didn't sleep much as the airport is awake all night with repair people and this and that going on. CNN on the TVs that never turn off. I was worried about safety but there were a lot of us and the lights never go off. I don't want to do it again but once was interesting!

I've never been caught overnight at an airport but my good friend and her husband did, over Christmas break, I think in Newark or nearby. They flew that same trip (to Dublin) two years later with a 7 month old, and all they wanted was no repeat of the overnight cancelation!! Thankfully it was uneventful then

Oh please enjoy Key West!! I'm about an hour and a half east of you in the airport (*waves*) and my parents are in KW for the winter. My dad called me today. His voice mail was, "Well hello! It's 70 degrees, I'm in shorts, and I just came back from Croissants Du France with a Cuban coffee and chocolate almond croissant. Are you bunkered down for the snow?" and then laughter as he hung up!!

Sigh....

(not sure if you're familiar with the island but if not, do try out that croissant place, it's on Duvall St around the 700 block. Get there before 930 or so if you want the best selection! MrB enjoyed them so much he walked one of our dogs over there every single morning before I was awake!

If you want other rec's too I would be happy to share!)
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Hi, bits619! <waves back > Thanks for the recommendation for the croissant place on Duval. I will certainly check it out. And my darling baby sis did exactly what your dad did to you, except sis called to say (as I sat in the airport watching the snow come down) "Guess where I am? I'm just walking off the beach [Zack Taylor State Park beach near the cruise ship docks] and climbing on my bike and riding slowly past the stables [yes, the park has a ridden patrol] on my way to the bakery to pick up macaroons for you. We are having cocktails tonight with the guys next door [lord, those guys make the BEST cocktails!!!] after you arrive. Oh, and it's hot and sunny here. Just gorgeous. "

I expect to have double the macaroons AND cocktails tomorrow, by George!

I've been wintering in Key West before (little sis rents down there for the winter and begs me to come down as we always have a good time together. So this year I'll be there through February. DH is home with the critters, stoking the wood stove and breaking ice in the water troughs. He's happy on the farm (doesn't like Florida) and gets to be a bachelor dad for the next month, hanging with the grown kids. Bless his sweet, loving heart.

So at the moment I'm stretched out across 4 seats reading on my tablet, emailing, cruising the web. Have an outlet next to me so keeping everything charged. Busy place still - so many are overnighting, but still plenty of spaces

Show boots - I did grab a complimentary toiletries kit and blanket, but will look into the Sky Club amenities - if they will let me. Heard from another stranded traveler that she heard the international section of the airport concourse is a good place to overnight - quieter and nicer. I may move there around 11pm. I have a TV over my head at the moment (concourse C) and it is already getting reeeeeally annoying.

Lilitiger2 - that was some story! A few of my fellow passengers and I did discuss getting a van and carpooling to Key West ...but the roads are a disaster right now and we wouldn't be able to drive out until tomorrow. Staying overnight in the concourse and flying out to Miami is still the better option. I feel bad that sis has to pack up her two Belgian Tervs to make the 3 hour trip to Miami with her, but she refuses to let me rent a car. Great idea to stop at Bahia Honda - lunch!

Canaqua - already ahead of ya, girl. Smart words already in operation.

Getting tired now -been up since 4am. It's going to be a long night. Glad I have the COTH gang to keep me company. Thanks everyone. I love you guys.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I got stuck at La Guardia overnight once. I had come back from the World Cup Finals in Dortmund Germany, on the same plane as the horses, in 1990 (why is a whole 'nother story, lol) We had a terrible headwind and I missed my connection. Lufthansa let me spend the nigh in their office on the couch! And I am not making this up, a large man named Hans drove me to the correct terminal the next morning in his Yugo!!!!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Aaah I'm so envious!! Sounds like a great time!! And thank goodness you'll be down there for a considerable length of time rather than just a long weekend!
    I'm familiar with ft zach- I almost (slowly) crash my bike every time I ride past those very stables, hahaha!
    My parents absolutely love it down there. My dad gets to be more active and walk and bike everywhere, up to watch the sunrise every morning and my mom volunteers with a few different groups and takes painting classes every week. They're adorable plus they now have their social circle of locals, which makes me happy for them too. I joke if only I had half the social life of my parents!!

Man, I wish I was going back right now.... Ok maybe not *right now* as some of my Atlanta friends have only gotten home from work within the last half hour...... But once you ARE done traveling, enjoy the well earned relaxation and have something tropical and alcoholic for me
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I spent the night at Miami (Ft Lauderdale?) airport (one of the two!) during spring break in college on our way home. We went with a group of 8, all of us were dreadfully hungover after a week of partying in the bahamas. 6 of the parents decided they felt bad enough for their kids to buy an extra plane ticket for their kids to fly directly home instead of their kids having to take a cruise from the bahamas--miami then a flight home. Must be nice!

My friend and I (the lone rangers) took the cruise back (slept on deck) then had to sleep in the airport overnight. We used our bags as pillows, plugged our phones in across the room about 30 yards away, and hoped for the best. We woke up around 5am, washed our faces and changed in the bathroom and freshened up. Then we set off to find out gate, only to realize we were in the WRONG BUILDING. We started sprinting with our massive bags, had to go through security of some sort again, where we ended up getting strip searched (we were in sun dresses and flip flops!) and were the last ones on the plane.

I'm sure your trip will be way better
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I finally moved to a very quiet section after moving around the concourse, selecting then rejecting various gates due to snorers, coughers, outlets all claimed, wrong type of seats for sleeping, too bright or too noisy. Settled here where there are just four of us, and we're already comrades in arms. Had a grand time swapping crazy airplane travel stories and laughing. All of us veteran travelers, so lots of memorable memories shared. Our one lone gentleman is so funny - he's ready to tuck in and said if he starts snoring, we ladies are allowed to smack him or tip him off the chairs. Quite obviously married ...and well trained!

It's now past midnight. Already catnapped happily in my warm comfy microfleece, so will pass an hour or so reading before I catnap again. We're facing a window overlooking the outside bays. Everything is quiet, the falling snow now gone, the sky black and clear and very cold with just the big orange floodlights over each gate illuminating circles of tarmack in the night. Everything has been swept off the tarmack, the fallen flakes now history except what is lying white and cold on secret bits of hidden ground and on the backs of the docked planes. Nothing is moving except a lone little tarmack 4 wheeler with a mini plow in front, zipping around looking for bits of snow to bully and push around.

It would be more peaceful if I had my .22 to happily take out the annoying Muzak playing in the background behind me... but I'll just tough it out for now.
    Last edited by 5chestnuts; Jan. 29, 2014 at 01:13 AM.

5 members found this post helpful.

5chestnuts, you have probably seen the signs...or perhaps they are all full already...but Atlanta Hartsfield is where Minute Suites debuted their product. They are located on concourse B by gate B15. Small rooms with a couch to nap and a desk; secure and all to yourself. No showers in Atlanta; $125 flat rate overnight 11pm-7 am; incremental pricing for an hour or portions. You seem pretty ok but these don't exist in a lot of airports yet so not many people know about them. Have a good night and enjoy your adventure!

5am - and my flight was just listed on the board - one of the few "on time" among a ton of "cancelled". The boarding gate is right next to the gate where I spent the night. . Walk a couple of feet and I'm there. How convenient.

Shall miss my fellow travelers and sleep mates. They were a nice group of people. Hope they all get home safe and sound...today.

And yes, I did get some sleep when I finally took DH's advice to sleep on the floor. He was right. Thank goodness for my microfleece blanket - wrapped around me it kept me very warm all night long. And my earplugs were a godsend.

Won't say I made it until my flight is in the air, but at least my odds are good. Fingers still crossed up until then.

Oh I just saw this. Yesterday I would have told you to hop the train to Lenox Square and shop till closing, and then stay in a hotel by Lenox. The 4 Seasons is close, the Ritz Carlton is closer. And you could have shopped the Hermes store.

Hope you get out of Atlanta today. I lived through snow there, and I knew how to drive in it. And I stayed on surface streets. But most people get on the interstates and then it's gridlock.