The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help with a really awkward work situation... I have NO idea how to compose this email

How on earth do you, without being overly gross, email your boss to complain about the fact that one of the toilets is left with dried fecal matter coating the entire inside of the toilet bowl 3-4 times a week????? I have no idea how to politely compose this email... The things you learn in corporate America! This is not a skill I wanted, but nevertheless, it IS one I apparently need. COTH geniuses, I need your help before I go insane.

I actually had a similar situation at work. I dealt with it by finding the office manager (sort of a high level admin, but she also deals with the building manager) and mentioned they cleaning staff either wasn't do a good enough job or maybe they need to come more often during the day if they are starting off clean and descending into yuk during the day. Fortunately, in my case, she had also experienced the ick and knew what I was talking about so we were able to keep the discussion pretty generic and top level. Also fortunately, as an office manager she was used to dealing with that kind of stuff (or crap shall we say?) and it was probably easier than going directly to my boss.

It would probably have been a more challenging conversation with him, but I would still try to start with a more generic "there has been a problem with bathroom cleanliness, can we increase the cleaning frequency?" discussion. Good luck with that!

I should add, there are enough women in our office I have no idea who the repeat offender is so there isn't a way to solve it at the source, so to speak. Obviously sometimes intestinal catastrophes happen, but recognizing and mitigating the collateral effects are good office practices as much as possible.
    Last edited by alittlextra; Jan. 28, 2014 at 11:35 AM. Reason: additional thought...

5 members found this post helpful.

Dear Boss,
    I'd like to let you know about a situation involving the washroom facilities on Floor X. Several times per week, they are in an unfit state for others to use, despite the regular cleaning efforts of our custodial staff.
    Is it possible to have more frequent checks (and cleanings) of this area so that we all feel comfortable using it?
    Thank you!
    Coworker
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

26 members found this post helpful.

What type of environment do you work in? Who cleans the bathrooms? If it is a big corporate place, there is likely a building department or facilities manager and you should contact them, not your supervisor (unless your boss IS the facilities manager).

We had issues with disgusting bathrooms (very nice bathrooms, actually, but disgusting employees). It's a big building 300+ employees. A series of complaints to the facilities folks, from various people, lead to them changing the bathroom cleaning schedule so the mess didn't sit as long.

3 members found this post helpful.

First off, do you have an HR or office manager you can complain to or is your boss responsible for office management? Is there a cleaning company responsible for cleaning the bathrooms on a regular basis?

Or is the bigger issue that you have a disgusting co-worker? (which is a bummer!)

Had a similar issue where I work. (large corporate office building) Disgusting females leaving their loads in the toilet bowl. Signs were put up in every stall: STOP. FLUSH. TURN AROUND. FLUSH AGAIN IF NECESSARY.

Either the signs worked, or the offenders left, as we no longer have the issue.

7 members found this post helpful.

We have a disgusting coworker We have a cleaning company that comes in once a day, management wants everything going from them to facilities, rather than going straight to facilities I just... Yeah... Once in a blue moon I understand. If we tracked it, probably REALLY easy to figure out who the offender is. Not too many people here on Sat

1 members found this post helpful.

They changed out cleaning schedule because of some messy, thoughtless people. They used ot clean the bathrooms at night, after almost everyone had left. The problem was that the dirty people would have all of the workday to make their messes...by mid-afternoon, there was rarely a useable stall . Now, they clean at mid-day, which has made a big difference, there might be a stall or two that are gross at any given time, but not ALL of them. It is inconvenient, to have the bathrooms closed for cleaning right at lunchtime...have the gross folks to thank for that. But it's better than having nowhere to go by 3pm!

Eeeeew. Like all the advice (although amazing there are so many nasty coworkers out there, really! I mean, has flushing gotten that hard, or hitting the toilet?) I wonder if all the bathroom cell phone use isn't makign it so people won't flush!

I like the suggestions about contacting your boss. I'd probablly be graphic because, "unfit for use" does not capture the true grossness of the situation.

I know this because IN MY HOUSE following a sweatlodge, someone did that DOWN THE SIDE OF MY TOILET! The poop was kind of in and out. It was beyond disgusting. ADULTS!! So, again in my home bathroom, I had a sign that read, "if you make a mess down the side or seat of the toilet, HERE is brush to clean. There are gloves and more supplies under the sink. And please flush". In my wildest dreams I would never have figured to have that sign in my home. My family and friends were amused but amazed. I actually have a very good idea of the identity of the offender but it has not happened since the sign.

At work, maybe at a staff meeting, they could have someone come in and talk to EVERYONE about the importance of cleanliness and handwashing and FLUSHING AND MAKING SURE POOP GOES IN THE F'ING BOWL!!! The offender will know where this is directed but it kind of allows them to save face.

Gross.

I swear that women are the worst when it comes to this, and I have no idea why! I like the suggest Dee made for the email, as well as posting the signs. I think some women do not hold the handle down long enough for everything to get properly flushed.

The WORST is not only when there is poop everywhere, but there is poop and its clearly someone's "time of the month". I have encountered that so many times its not even funny. And I work in a so called "professional" office! There also used to be a woman who would regularly blow up the bathroom after lunch. You pretty much couldn't walk in there when she was in there...

Can you put a note that says please flush twice if needed?

We have a woman in here, the one I can't stand because she wears obnoxious perfume, and talks and clucks to herself all day who is constantly dieting. The toilet on more then several occasion has required me flushing it twice to clean up after her. GROSS
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MyssMyst View Post
    How on earth do you, without being overly gross, email your boss to complain about the fact that one of the toilets is left with dried fecal matter coating the entire inside of the toilet bowl 3-4 times a week????? I have no idea how to politely compose this email... The things you learn in corporate America! This is not a skill I wanted, but nevertheless, it IS one I apparently need. COTH geniuses, I need your help before I go insane.

Along with the letter, make sure each toilet has a toilet brush and some toilet bowl cleaner next to it.

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    Eeeeew. Like all the advice (although amazing there are so many nasty coworkers out there, really! I mean, has flushing gotten that hard, or hitting the toilet?) I wonder if all the bathroom cell phone use isn't makign it so people won't flush!

I like the suggestions about contacting your boss. I'd probablly be graphic because, "unfit for use" does not capture the true grossness of the situation.

I know this because IN MY HOUSE following a sweatlodge, someone did that DOWN THE SIDE OF MY TOILET! The poop was kind of in and out. It was beyond disgusting. ADULTS!! So, again in my home bathroom, I had a sign that read, "if you make a mess down the side or seat of the toilet, HERE is brush to clean. There are gloves and more supplies under the sink. And please flush". In my wildest dreams I would never have figured to have that sign in my home. My family and friends were amused but amazed. I actually have a very good idea of the identity of the offender but it has not happened since the sign.

At work, maybe at a staff meeting, they could have someone come in and talk to EVERYONE about the importance of cleanliness and handwashing and FLUSHING AND MAKING SURE POOP GOES IN THE F'ING BOWL!!! The offender will know where this is directed but it kind of allows them to save face.

Gross.

WAIT... On the outside?!?!?! OMG My SO's 6 y.o. daughter did this a few months ago. We didn't discover it until after they had gone back to their mom's house.... I was BAFFLED as to how this is even possible? I mean seriously, How the hell do you even do that?!?! I said only a child could possibly find a way do that (Followed by... I'm soooo glad you're their bio parent so you automatically have to deal with it ). Apparently I was wrong, adults are just as disgusting

Also may I say... THIS is why I'm soooo glad to work from home and when I *do* have to go into the office, I work with a bunch of software developers (i.e. hardly any women) so the ladies bathrooms are generally quite pristine. I'm all for more women in STEM fields, but only if they're clean!

I will admit that I have gotten in the bad habit of not flushing in public rest rooms. I have caught myself a couple of times and had to go back to the stall. So many places have gone to the auto flush I think I have gotten out of the habit of manually flushing. My work has had the autoflush for about a year now.

To be fair to the employee if she is flushing if it isn't going down there are frequently limited options in work or public bathrooms. They rarely have a plunger let alone anything else readily available to deal with a problematic poo.

On the flip side women are the worst when it comes to making messes with feminine supplies, dropping TP on the floor, leaving the TP empty, etc...
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Quote Originally Posted by RedmondDressage View Post
    WAIT... On the outside?!?!?! OMG My SO's 6 y.o. daughter did this a few months ago. We didn't discover it until after they had gone back to their mom's house.... I was BAFFLED as to how this is even possible? I mean seriously, How the hell do you even do that?!?! I said only a child could possibly find a way do that (Followed by... I'm soooo glad you're their bio parent so you automatically have to deal with it ). Apparently I was wrong, adults are just as disgusting

Also may I say... THIS is why I'm soooo glad to work from home and when I *do* have to go into the office, I work with a bunch of software developers (i.e. hardly any women) so the ladies bathrooms are generally quite pristine. I'm all for more women in STEM fields, but only if they're clean!
    Yep! Adults! i would still be baffled but understand a kid but an ADULT and the logistics of it still escape me (but admittedly I am not all that curious). It was groooossssssss (still traumatized)!

Mr. Tiger works with a bunch of mechanics, engineers, linemen and electricians and their bathroom is ALWAYS clean! They told me they don't use any kind of spray because then it just "smells like someone shit in a rose garden". But it is always clean when I'm there!

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    I will admit that I have gotten in the bad habit of not flushing in public rest rooms. I have caught myself a couple of times and had to go back to the stall. So many places have gone to the auto flush I think I have gotten out of the habit of manually flushing. My work has had the autoflush for about a year now.
    Do you not make sure, even with autoflush, that everything went down?

I make note of what type of flushing system there is when I walk into the toilet room (probably partially because these things are part of my job), so I can not imagine walking away assuming it will flush for me.

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post

Gross.
    Simple solution: Port-a-potty.....

But yeah...it IS amazing.

As to the original problem....
    I don't quiet see the problem. Send an email out to the boss, HR or whomever. If you don't want to outright complain about the Sh*T stuck in the bowl, ask to whom you would have to direct said inquiry.

And then complain LOUDLY when you return from the loo about these pigs who can't bother to flush.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

2 members found this post helpful.

I work in a medical facility with many patient visits every day. The number of floaters we find is beyond belief. Wouldn't one want to make certain that their defacatory practices are not discernible to subsequent potty users? And feminine hygiene products? Slobs!

4 members found this post helpful.

There are plungers in each stall, so that excuse is not available. Maybe I should request they put that poo-pourri stuff in the bathroom?

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has ended up in an office with super gross coworkers!

I work for our facility manager (350+ person modern building), and am friends with the gentleman who heads the cleaning crew, and they tell me women are by far and away the biggest pigs in the bathrooms. Stuff on the floor, stuff clogging the bowls, dirty TP lying around, etc. I've never encountered a really gross mess but I also don't use the really busy bathrooms.

It blows my mind that people don't flush poop/menstrual product. I have NEVER in my life left that - in fact I'm somewhat obsessed with making sure every trace has vanished! Auto-flush helps a lot but somehow isn't foolproof. I cringe for you, OP, and hope you can get the situation resolved (or Cloroxed, as it were).

2 members found this post helpful.