The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dear Horse: I Just Spent $33 On That Lik-It...

and a replacement disk. I even got Peppermint flavor, because that's your absolute favorite treat.

It was supposed to provide a little fun while you're stuck inside because of this crappy weather, and to take your mind off that nasty little cribbing habit.

So why does it appear to be completely untouched? My mother at least made me try eating something before I was allowed to say I hated it.

Were you raised in a barn?

Anyone else want to share toys, etc. that you've bought for your horse and never seen used/played with?
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

4 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Murphy's Equine Law:

The more you spend the less horsy will like whatever it is you spent on.

Currently my horse's "toys" are their rubber feedpans that apparently can be repurposed as Frisbees.
    After losing one to a snowdrift I now make sure to put the pans outside the stalls when not in use.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

5 members found this post helpful.

About once/yr my horses may lick the salt in the salt block holder. I've tried the ones that hang on the wall with a 4 lb salt lick, white or red. I've tried the 50 lb ones that the horses crap on. Guess what ponies, you get loose salt in your grain and beet pulp meals. That's it!
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

A get a twinge of jealously watching those videos of happy horses playing with their Jolly Balls.

I got my TB one to get his mind off cribbing. He sniffed it, peed on it, and ignored it thereafter.

What my horse likes to use as a toy? His fly spray bottle. He figured out he could crane his giant head out of the stall, grab it from where it hung on the blanket bar, and then fling it across the aisle for funsies.

Fly spray has been moved.

Oh, and he also likes to destroy water buckets.
    Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

2 members found this post helpful.

Throw a old lead shank in there....or better yet leave one outside in the paddock and watch two horses play tug o war.. Seriously......entertains them for hours. And inexpensive.

3 members found this post helpful.

I have the opposite problem with the Lik-it type toys. My guys eat them, so the insert that is supposed to provide hours of distraction goes like the tootsie pop in the commercial with the owl: lick-lick-lick-crunch-crunch-crunch-gone. The last one I bought, I put in the holder and all that was left by the time I took the wrapper to the trash and walked back was a piece laying on the ground - and that was rapidly hoovered up.

9 members found this post helpful.

I'm sure you did, but after someone in my barn did NOT, I always ask...you removed the plastic on the outside of the treat, right?! Someone in an old barn couldn't figure out why her horse, who was pretty piggy, wouldn't touch the likit treat. Turned out she hadn't realized that plastic wrap on it wasn't part of the treat. Oh, we laughed about that! The stuff is hard to remove, unless they've changed the packaging.

I think that's better than them going through it like a rapid kid on a lollipop!

I buy the Hawaiian rock salt on a rope. My two-year old has gone through 2 since September. Every morning I hear her licking away. Granted, she's grown like a weed since then so I shouldn't complain.

got the insert for the likit without the hanger until I found out if my horse would like it, (he didn't). My boyfriend's response was "this is why we can't have kids, they will ask for something and you will hand them a stick and say pretend, you are so cheap." LOL not cheap-frugal!

Unfortunately, comparing a Lik-It to a cribbing habit is like comparing a Tootsie Roll to crack.

Direct stimulation of the pleasure center of the brain is what you're up against.

My neighbor has a great solution; put him in a stall where there are NO surfaces anywhere he can grab to crib on. That'll force him to eat the hay AND the Lik-It in lieu of cribbing.

I feel for you; one of ours is eating half a mile of post-and-rail just like a beaver!
    He's learned to defeat the Miracle Collar, considers Bitter Apple a condiment, and will crib in the presence of the world's most beautiful hay.

Fortunately, he stays FAT on mostly air! I suppose I shouldn't complain . . .

2 members found this post helpful.

The best toys are the ones that were stolen. Can you "inadvertently" leave a cone, lickit or toy just out of reach?
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingAppy View Post
    I think that's better than them going through it like a rapid kid on a lollipop!

I buy the Hawaiian rock salt on a rope. My two-year old has gone through 2 since September. Every morning I hear her licking away. Granted, she's grown like a weed since then so I shouldn't complain.
    Mine bit one in half, breaking his tooth in the process. Back to the soft salt blocks that he eats in two days... sigh.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Just wait until he tastes it ...

My horses are the type to eat it within in a night/day.

You could try removing the top part of the lick-it holder, so then it's easier for him to get to the treat. And maybe just lead him to it, maybe take a piece out of it and give it to him. I have yet to see a horse who doesn't like lick-it.

Quote Originally Posted by chestnutmarebeware View Post
    and a replacement disk. I even got Peppermint flavor, because that's your absolute favorite treat.

It was supposed to provide a little fun while you're stuck inside because of this crappy weather, and to take your mind off that nasty little cribbing habit.

So why does it appear to be completely untouched? My mother at least made me try eating something before I was allowed to say I hated it.

Were you raised in a barn?

Anyone else want to share toys, etc. that you've bought for your horse and never seen used/played with?
    Bought a Lik-It for my mare also. Nothing! Didn't touch it.

Better than Lik-It. Jimmy Balls! http://uncle-jimmys.com/
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by cherham View Post
    Throw a old lead shank in there....or better yet leave one outside in the paddock and watch two horses play tug o war.. Seriously......entertains them for hours. And inexpensive.
    Just make sure to remove the metal hardware including the clasp that often holds the end near the snap.
    Or "You'll put your eye out!" < Horsemom to Horsekid

PaintedHunter:
    I used to hang a 5gal RedCell with dispenser outside our horses' stall when we boarded.
    It was always drippy all down the sides & I was blaming the barn help for being lazy dispensing it = that stuff cost $$!
    Until I witnessed DH's TWH using his prehensile lips to serve himself a "treat"
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

My boy wasn't interested at all in his likit when I first hung it. Then two weeks later, it "disappeared" over night. The next one lasted a couple hours. He was very fond of the banana likit!

I tried Jolly Balls and he shared them with his neighbors, so I always lost them. The only "toy" that worked was a 74-quart muck bucket. He was protesting his waterer, and would only drink from the bucket. At night, he'd dump all the water out and greet me with it.

1 members found this post helpful.

For my guys, the lik-it treats were too easy. Chomp, gone. So I use the lik-it holder but put pony pops in it, and hang them where they can't pin on the wall. Those last longer, but can be messier with sticky faces. One horse, when on stall rest at a barn from he!!, he figured out even the pony pops could be chomped and would go through one in 15 minutes. So I hung the whole thing OUTSIDE the stall bars so he had to lick through the bars. I looked like the meanest (or dumbest) HO ever, but it slowed him down but kept him occupied. This is the same horse that licks out applesauce cups like a dog.

Does he know he can eat it? I had to show my horse how to eat it before he figured it out.