The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Exclamation Pal Joey Fund to help Beulah horses: New pics of horse helped by COTH, pg 6

So many of you on COTH have been dedicated supporters of CANTER Ohio's tireless efforts to help horses at Beulah Park, now that the track is set to close for the spring next weekend... as well as kind contributors to CANTER OH's Pal Joey Fund - inspired by a great fundraising effort that happened right here on the forum!

Nancy from CANTER OH asked me to post about another very deserving, sweet-natured gelding at Beulah who could really use a life away from the track. Dee Beau Black is a quiet, handsome 6-year-old son of Matty G who has roots in New England, too: some of you may have seen him listed on CANTER NE's web site when he was racing at the Northampton Fair last fall. Dee Beau was lucky to land with a good-hearted trainer at Beulah who wants to find him a home away from the track, but wants to sell him, not donate him outright.

There is some concern, given the flood of horses at Beulah who need homes; the short time frame; and the fact that Dee Beau has an enlarged knee, that Dee Beau may not find a home by the time he needs to. With that in mind, CANTER OH is hoping to raise the funds needed to purchase Dee Beau from his trainer. The trainer is asking $1000 but it is believed that price is quite negotiable...so any and all donations are most welcome. The Beulah meet closes next weekend, 5/6.

If you would like to give to the Pal Joey Fund to help retire Dee Beau Black, you can make a Paypal contribution at:

http://www.canterusa.org/ohio/gifts.htm

or send a check, made payable to CANTER Ohio, to:

CANTER Ohio
    7971 Chippewa Rd.
    Lodi, Ohio 44254

Please make sure to mark your donations "for the Pal Joey Fund, to help Dee Beau Black." Thank you!

P.S. I also have to give a HUGE nod to Nancy, her Beulah volunteer Chris, and SafeHorses from this board, all of whom kept a watchful eye on Dee Beau and went to great lengths to track down his trainer when it was observed that he was really struggling in his races. (The trainer is not based at Beulah, and had no idea about CANTER until Chris contacted him.) The folks at CANTER OH truly do put in 110% for these horses.
    Last edited by 17handtb; May. 16, 2006 at 11:47 AM.

shoot, they just got me for Mountaineer...well, let's see how it goes and I'll see what I can cough up.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

My boy Dee!! Well, he's not really mine, but I have been keeping a cyber eye on him since last year thanks to 17handtb telling me about him while he was in New England.

This boy needs to get off the track, he's been finishing in the back of low level claiming races for a while now and I have been worried sick for the last few weeks that he would end up at one of the local and very scary auctions. In fact, I have enlisted the help of friends of friends to keep an eye out for him in case he turned up at one of them.

This is Dee's best chance to get off the track and have a happy ending...hopefully we can raise enough money to buy him and give him a new life away from racing. I'm off to make my donation right now!

ETA: And THANK YOU to Nancy and Canter OH and 17handtb for going the extra mile to help save this boy...so many more would be lost every year if it weren't for all the hard work that CANTER does for the horses.
    Until they are safe.
    www.safehorses.org

Hmmm...I didn't have the opportunity to make a note on my donation. I will email Nancy to let her know what to look out for...
    Until they are safe.
    www.safehorses.org

Well...Dee ran at Beulah today. The trainer wanted to run him "one to two more times", but he did finish mid pack. I am hoping we don't have another Pal Joey situation where he suddenly starts running well and the trainer changes his mind about retirement! Slow down Dee!
    Until they are safe.
    www.safehorses.org

If you guys get word that Dee may end up at Sugarcreek and need somebody to get him, let me know. Even if I'm not planning to go, I can be there in about an hour.

Thanks so much, Rachael! We are all hoping hard that it WON'T come to that. Trainer seems like a good guy, but does want $$ for him, and the Beulah meet's days are rapidly winding down...

Keep us updated...you know we'll come through.
    www.specialhorses.org

When does the meet end?

Default Dee

Thank you for posting this thread for Dee. Beulah closes next weekend so we need all the help we can get! Right now we have about $200 for Dee!! I will reply to you all individually to be sure the funds are directed accordingly.

I know right now there are a a lot of calls for help for horses in need. It can be overwhelming. We've all felt that way at times, but when we actually save a life, it's worth all the sleepless nights and bagged lunches.

One thing I can tell you for sure--no CANTER volunteer ever gives up hope for every last horse, and it truly is amazing that a small group of people can impact so many horse's lives. Without your support we would not be able to save all of them.

We'll talk to Dee's owner this weekend and let you know his status. Thank you all for your generosty for Dee.

Nancy

Default One more thank you

Rachael22,

Thank you for the kind offer, we are hoping we can get him before he gets to Sugar Creek. For all of you that may be unfamiliar, this is a notorious auction and we are really, really grateful that Rachael22 would go there to save this special horse. You are a very brave person. We'll keep everyone informed!

Nancy

I just sent some money through PayPal...but I think I forgot to include the note that it was for Dee...I think my sleep deprivation came into play. I will send an email to see if my error can be corrected.

bumping up for Dee!
    Until they are safe.
    www.safehorses.org

You know I'm in. Not for much, I'm strapped. But I know every little bit helps.
    www.specialhorses.org

Ack! Just made the donation via paypal/credit card - no way to denote it's for Dee!

Please let me know if you need any info...it's the one from St Louis MO.

NNot much, I know...but if we get a bunch of us....it only would take 80 more COTHers, maybe less...

I can't stand the thought of any of these guys suffering. There but for the grace could have gone my sweet boy.
    www.specialhorses.org

Yeah, I don't think there is a notationn area for donations...or I messed up and missed it when I sent mine in. Nancy is pretty good at flagging the right ones though.

Don't worry about the amount DG, it all adds up and every little bit helps. I am the same way about not being able to stand the thought of these poor horses suffering. I've waited for weeks to see if CANTER had a chance to make contact with the trainer (the dude is NOT easy to find), but he's apparently a nice guy and I'm hoping something can be worked out for Dee.
    Until they are safe.
    www.safehorses.org

DG, EVERY penny makes a difference for Dee and his buddies at Beulah. Thank you!

NMK -- I sent mine yesterday -- It isn't marked for Dee, but it is the paypal one with my nettally.com email address.

It isn't much, but I wanted to send something from Sam, who now has a wonderful life thanks to Lord Helpus

Come on guys! We can do it!

Libby
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

Bumping for Dee!
    Until they are safe.
    www.safehorses.org

And shamelessly bumping again.
    www.specialhorses.org