The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I had general for a joint endometrial ablation/"incisionless tubal"...those procedures are sometimes done on awake patients, but I wasn't too into that.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

A few doctors have suggested that I might have endometriosis so it's great to hear that the Mirena has helped a few people with that condition.

My Dr. didn't mention the Nuva Ring or the Skyla, I will be sure to ask her about those options. I hope that kids will be in my future, so I don't want to do anything permanent.

I did ask about some valium or other anti-anxiety options and she said they don't do those at this clinic-they also don't do any sort of additional pain meds prior to/during the insertion. It's the only place around my insurance approves so I'm kind of stuck going there. But, on the plus side my insurance will cover 100% of the cost which is part of the reason I'm so interested in doing this now. I'm hoping to change jobs and move soon, so getting this done with my current insurance plan would be nice.

I feel like I have a fairly high pain threshold for other things, I've had several surgeries for other injuries, but I always have trouble with the standard pelvic and pap so I'm guessing this might be rough. I'm actually more stressed about the IUD insertion than I was my last ankle surgery!

Quote Originally Posted by alternativeme View Post
    Thanks for the feedback everyone!

A few doctors have suggested that I might have endometriosis so it's great to hear that the Mirena has helped a few people with that condition.

My Dr. didn't mention the Nuva Ring or the Skyla, I will be sure to ask her about those options. I hope that kids will be in my future, so I don't want to do anything permanent.

I did ask about some valium or other anti-anxiety options and she said they don't do those at this clinic-they also don't do any sort of additional pain meds prior to/during the insertion. It's the only place around my insurance approves so I'm kind of stuck going there. But, on the plus side my insurance will cover 100% of the cost which is part of the reason I'm so interested in doing this now. I'm hoping to change jobs and move soon, so getting this done with my current insurance plan would be nice.

I feel like I have a fairly high pain threshold for other things, I've had several surgeries for other injuries, but I always have trouble with the standard pelvic and pap so I'm guessing this might be rough. I'm actually more stressed about the IUD insertion than I was my last ankle surgery!
    I had mine done with only over the counter medication. It truly is not that bad. Do not work yourself up over it, that will make it worse.

There's sort of 3 parts to the insertion...first they will measure your uterus to make sure all the pieces will fit. Then they'll place it, and they will pop it open. The first and the third parts are what you feel-- the first is intense cramping (you'll feel that as long as the placement device is being used) and the actual placement is a quick stab feeling. It is no more than 10 minutes end to end.

On the list of things I've experienced that were more painful:

1. steroid injections into my ankle
    2. gallstones
    3. appendicitis
    4. Collarbone fracture

You'll survive it just fine, as have many others before you, and it is worth it when you are all paid up and set for 5 years!

I do caution you: do NOT google around for this until after you've had it done. There are 8 million and one horror stories but for me the worst are from people who got pregnant with a mirena in. Since you don't generally get a real period with the Mirena, those sent me into a freakish state of paranoia that has since dissipated.

I would, however, recommend picking up a few dollar store pregnancy tests and storing them somewhere. The first few times you don't get your period can be disconcerting and they'll ease your mind for a very low cost. Unless of course you are not canoeing in which case, no worries for you!

I love/hate mine..
    I had mine inserted in May of 2013.
    Insertion hurt but that sharp pain subsided fairly quickly. My clinic told me to take 800 mg of Ibuprofen an hour before.
    FOR ME:
    The next month kinda sucked, med/heavy bleeding and cramps. It got better
    though now I have a week of normal period and then a week of light flow/spotting and sometimes out of the blue!
    Luckily Im in a relationships with a great guy who gets it and is super understanding Im the one that is more frustrated when Im bleeding and "mess up" the sheets
    during canoeing.
    HOWEVER I am sticking with it hoping things calm down at the year mark.
    I have had BC fail twice ( Pill and shot) and really don't want to struggle with that again, so far if a little bleeding is all i have to deal with the peace of mind that Im not pregos (until i want to be) is worth it!

Oh, I love my IUD *NOW* - the insertion was just awful.

I don't have a period at all now, haven't since I had the IUD installed haha!

I took 800 mg of ibuprofen an hour before my appointment.

Honestly yes, it is "just 10 minutes" so I feel that it is worth it to get it put in, but man, it was definitely NOT comfortable AT.ALL to put in.

The NuvaRing is great if you don't mind reaching up in there to remove it. I had no issues with that. You can have intercourse with the ring in, but I found it to be uncomfortable. So, that meant going to remove it for intercourse, and then re-inserting it immediately afterwards. (Which you can do without any issues concerning getting pregnant...I think you can have it out for up to 2 hours but I could be off on the time there). Anyhow, it kind of took the "mood" away to have to run to the bathroom right in the middle of things. That is the only reason I didn't care for the NuvaRing. But if that isn't a problem, the NuvaRing might be a good option if you're having anxiety over the IUD.

I went from pills, to the ring, to the Depo shot, to the IUD. Still have the IUD a year later and wouldn't know it was there. No period.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I was on depo for years and loved it. Got a Mirena 2 years ago now, and it's just like depo. Don't think about it, no side effects, no period.

Insertion isn't fun, but it lasts 2 minutes. Grin and bear it, it's worth it for FIVE YEARS of no costs, no time invested, no thought. I was crampy for a day, then felt fine. I occassionally get a pang of a cramp, that's it.

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm on my second Mirena right now and LOVE it.

The first insertion was... well, not good. In all honesty, it was THE worst pain I have ever experienced-- I've broken bones before and never felt the need to take anything beyond a Tylenol, but the IUD insertion almost did me in.

The second time around, I told my doc that they needed to do SOMETHING different for the replacement. So I got a script for a single-dose pill that was to soften the cervix, took that in the morning. Got to the doc's in the afternoon, and they injected my cervix with some kind of novocain-type stuff, gave it a few minutes to kick in, then they removed the old Mirena and inserted the new one.

BIG difference. It was uncomfortable, but not significantly more uncomfortable than your average pap smear. I was SOOOO relieved!!!
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Quote Originally Posted by alternativeme View Post

My Dr. has recommended the Mirena to me. I've read through all the side effects and I'm reasonably comfortable with all of those, what I'm most worried about is the actual insertion process. I find a regular pap to be pretty uncomfortable and I'm worried this will be horrible. I did talk to my Dr about it, but all she recommended was some ibuprofen before the appointment. Can anyone give me some first hand experience?
    I recently had a paraguard inserted, I would imagine the insertion process is identical no matter which you choose. I am a little older than you, but have never had children, so I was also worried it would be bad. The actually process was uncomfortable, but not unbearable, and I was just crampy and had a little lower back pain the first 2 days (not much worse than a bad period, honestly). I did have some bleeding/spotting for about 2 weeks, and then things went back to normal. I was also terrified about the procedure, but it was quite easy and only mildly uncomfortable.

Nuvaring - no.
    Skyla is made by the same folks as Mirena. It's the next generation version. They had some production issues over the fall but it's available again.
    RoseLane Sporthorses-Westfalen horses and ponies
    Home of Golden State- 2012 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion
    Home of Golden West - 2014 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion

Have it inserted during your period. Might sound a little gross, but per my gyno the cervix is a bit more receptive to dilation at that time.

I am also nulliparous (fancy word for never having had a baby) and got a Paragard last year.

The insertion wasn't as bad as I had thought it was going to be. Nothing worse than I've experienced during a Pap or colposcopy, it just lasted longer.

Mine wasn't easy either, as my cervix wasn't cooperating very well. She had almost given up and was going to send me home with some misoprostol (vaginal suppository used to help soften the cervix) when she was finally able to pass a dilator.

I had taken ibuprofen beforehand and kept that up for a couple of days so never felt too badly. I worked from home the rest of the day, and then went back in the next day.

I was pretty paranoid the first few times I used the bathroom and the first time I lifted heavy at the gym, but all was fine.

I was lucky enough to be sedated the first time I got Mirena. The first month wasn't great, but after then it settled down, and was fine. Got it replaced after 5 years, by then I was in the US, of course, quite a different experience. My insurance wouldn't pay for two procedures on the same day (whut?), so I had to have it removed one day (OWW!), wait a week, then come back in so they could put the new one in (more OWW!). They also didn't think it necessary to give me any pain meds, even though I have always found even regular paps to be very painful. Not ashamed to say I screamed like a sick donkey. Goddamn it hurt. The butthead gyno just told me to keep it down so I didn't bother the other patients. Nice.

I'm due to get this one replaced in 2015, hopefully the new gyno (who is not a butthead) will have some other suggestions. Mirena was quite pricey though, so if the newer one is more pricey... hmmm. (Quick side note: America what the nuts is with your health system? It cost me about $100 with no insurance for the whole shebang the first time, which was not in the USA. I do love living here, but seriously, WTF...).

About the Nuvaring ... I wouldn't. See here: http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/2...aceptive-trial

Of course there's a risk with all BC methods, but this seems riskier than most. I have a colleague who had a Nuvaring, and developed a serious, life threatening blood clot with no additional risk factors. It would seem she was not an isolated case...

Quote Originally Posted by Cashela View Post
    I have never had kids, I have a Mirena. It does hurt when they put it in. The woman that had hers put in before me came out white as a ghost. While it hurt like heck I just dealt with it and my DR said I did really well. I have to admit I'm not exactly looking forward to when it has to come out and have another one put it.
    I'm getting mine replaced in 2 months. I'm 5 years in and love it! Will never go back to the pill. I have no children and it did hurt like none other getting it put in... but it was all worth it!

I have had mine for almost 4 years now and I wouldn't switch methods. I was on the pill but I had to take it at the exact same time every day down to the second or I would start bleeding. That sucked. The insertion isn't comfortable. For me it was the worst cramps I had ever had (I was only 20 at the time and never had kids). I had mine inserted the first day of my period so I only had a heavy period that first time. I am going on 3.5 years with no period. I love that.

I have had the "oh crap could I be pregnant?" moments. DO NOT google the horror stories about that. It will just make you paranoid.
    Just keep swimming... Just keep swimming

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby80 View Post
    I was lucky enough to be sedated the first time I got Mirena. The first month wasn't great, but after then it settled down, and was fine. Got it replaced after 5 years, by then I was in the US, of course, quite a different experience. My insurance wouldn't pay for two procedures on the same day (whut?), so I had to have it removed one day (OWW!), wait a week, then come back in so they could put the new one in (more OWW!). They also didn't think it necessary to give me any pain meds, even though I have always found even regular paps to be very painful. Not ashamed to say I screamed like a sick donkey. Goddamn it hurt. The butthead gyno just told me to keep it down so I didn't bother the other patients. Nice.

I'm due to get this one replaced in 2015, hopefully the new gyno (who is not a butthead) will have some other suggestions. Mirena was quite pricey though, so if the newer one is more pricey... hmmm. (Quick side note: America what the nuts is with your health system? It cost me about $100 with no insurance for the whole shebang the first time, which was not in the USA. I do love living here, but seriously, WTF...).

About the Nuvaring ... I wouldn't. See here: http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/2...aceptive-trial

Of course there's a risk with all BC methods, but this seems riskier than most. I have a colleague who had a Nuvaring, and developed a serious, life threatening blood clot with no additional risk factors. It would seem she was not an isolated case...
    There's risks to all birth controls. The newer generation progestins found in the patch, Yaz, Nuvaring, etc. are less androgenic but the tradeoff is a slight increase in risk of clotting.

I am highly skeptical that an IUD is safer. Google one of the MANY horror stories.

Sorry but skepticism does not trump fact. I can probably get Google to confirm any opinion I may have but it doesn't make it correct.

Quote Originally Posted by volvo_240 View Post
    Sorry but skepticism does not trump fact. I can probably get Google to confirm any opinion I may have but it doesn't make it correct.

And if Vanity Fair covering a heart-wrenching story of a pending lawsuit is your idea of a fact then I really can't help you.

Quote Originally Posted by independentlyawesome View Post
    There's risks to all birth controls. The newer generation progestins found in the patch, Yaz, Nuvaring, etc. are less androgenic but the tradeoff is a slight increase in risk of clotting.
    In theory, yes absolutely, but it would appear that the consistency of the hormone delivery in the Nuvaring may be problematic, particularly when they are exposed to temperature changes during storage and delivery.

I'm a scientist, so I'm well aware that magazine articles etc are not always reliable, but the points raised within are thought-provoking. It is well worth the read, even bearing in mind the limitations of anecdotal evidence.

I have a good friend who is a ob-gyn and uses the Nuvaring for HERSELF.

EVERYTHING has pros and cons. Everything also has the risk for adverse or idiosyncratic reactions.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever