The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default IUDs and the Mirena?

Does anyone on here have experience with an IUD and the Mirena specifically?

I am 25 (and haven't been canoeing, not intentionally, it's just never happened) but I've been on birth control since high school to control horrible periods. I was on the pill for a while but started getting bad migraines so they took me off that, the mini-pill didn't work for me either. I've been on the depo shot for several years and have really liked it, but my Dr. would like me to switch to something else due to the potential issues with a decrease in bone density.

My Dr. has recommended the Mirena to me. I've read through all the side effects and I'm reasonably comfortable with all of those, what I'm most worried about is the actual insertion process. I find a regular pap to be pretty uncomfortable and I'm worried this will be horrible. I did talk to my Dr about it, but all she recommended was some ibuprofen before the appointment. Can anyone give me some first hand experience?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    thanks! I tried searching earlier and didn't pull anything up...

I have endometriosis and have had the Mirena for almost 7 years (on my second). I LOVE IT. I cannot say enough positive things about my experience with the Mirena and the complete alleviation of all dysmenorrhea. I have not had a period in 7 years and can count on one hand the number of cramps I've had as well. Not everyone has had as much luck as I have, but I personally cannot speak highly enough of it!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

I hated the Mirena. Had it taken out 2 weeks after it was put in because it was making me miserable. But I have quite a few autoimmune issues and my body hates everything - even itself sometimes.

You could get the Skyla--an even smaller version of the Mirena for people who have never canoed.

Quote Originally Posted by alternativeme View Post
    Does anyone on here have experience with an IUD and the Mirena specifically?

I am 25 (and haven't been canoeing, not intentionally, it's just never happened) but I've been on birth control since high school to control horrible periods. I was on the pill for a while but started getting bad migraines so they took me off that, the mini-pill didn't work for me either. I
    This is exactly why I got mine put in originally also, and I have to say its been a miracle. Birth control pills weren't doing anything to stop the bleeding, and this did the trick. I wasn't lucky enough to stop having periods all together, but I only get them every 3 weeks or so no, which even after 5 years still seems like a HUGE blessing.

Ibuprofen is about all you can do. Mine sucked (I realized I HAD a uterus for the first time, and man it was pissed) but it was 3 hours of cramping then I have been good to go since then. Im about to get mine replaced, and won't even think about trying anything else. Life is AMAZING off all those heavy duty BC pills, which made me totally unstable and bonkers.

Also..best part about this. If you have it for a few weeks and hate it, you can always remove it and try another method.
    Last edited by KLCarp; Jan. 26, 2014 at 03:43 AM. Reason: added content

I am very happily married and am on my second Mirena. I don't have any children or a period so it absolutely accomplishes the intended purpose. Between blood clots and migraines, I am not a good candidate for the pill, but Mirena has been awesome.

That said, for someone who has never given birth....youch!!! It sucks going in. You will think you are dying. For about a minute. Then it's just crummy cramps the rest of the day, load up on ibuprofen and it's not bad. But the payoff is well worth it, so worth it that I've been through it twice.

I have had it twice. I have kids so can't say how bad it is going in for the childless, it was uncomfortable for me but over quickly. Just tell yourself you can do anything for two minutes.

I will say not to judge it too quickly. Give it time to settle. Both times I have had mine, if you asked me if I liked it after a couple of weeks I would have told you no, because it caused me to bleed nonstop for a good six weeks each time. But after a few months, it settled into very manageable, light periods. Some people have no periods at all on it. Bit I would definitely tell you not to pull it out if you aren't happy right away, as it is too soon to have a good picture of what it is actually like. At six months if you still hate it, sure.

I don't have one, but there is a Skyla IUD that's much smaller that would work for you.

A major downside is the cost. Insurance companies won't cover it. I called my insurance company to see if they covered it, and they said "oh yeah! Sure!" It turns out you have to meet your deductible before they'll cover it. The problem is most people our age never come close to meeting their deductible, so you'll be paying out of pocket for it. They run $1500-$1700 not including insertion and removal. Skyla is more expensive because it's newer.

I don't know how other insurance companies handle it, but through my Highmark plan it wasn't worth it. If you have a plan with a really low deductible it's totally doable, but my plan is $2000 before they start paying.
    Newbie event rider dreaming of rocking BN with my young OTTB!

Adventures with my Baby TB Blog

I have never had kids, I have a Mirena. It does hurt when they put it in. The woman that had hers put in before me came out white as a ghost. While it hurt like heck I just dealt with it and my DR said I did really well. I have to admit I'm not exactly looking forward to when it has to come out and have another one put it.
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

Quote Originally Posted by skipollo View Post
    I don't have one, but there is a Skyla IUD that's much smaller that would work for you.

A major downside is the cost. Insurance companies won't cover it. I called my insurance company to see if they covered it, and they said "oh yeah! Sure!" It turns out you have to meet your deductible before they'll cover it. The problem is most people our age never come close to meeting their deductible, so you'll be paying out of pocket for it. They run $1500-$1700 not including insertion and removal. Skyla is more expensive because it's newer.

I don't know how other insurance companies handle it, but through my Highmark plan it wasn't worth it. If you have a plan with a really low deductible it's totally doable, but my plan is $2000 before they start paying.
    My Mirena was done at a low-cost clinic (similar to Planned Parenthood) for the princely sum of $50. Insurance would have covered it, had I had any at the time.

Haven't had it removed yet but you can do it during an annual exam and get the removal covered that way.

I will likely replace my mirena with the skyla when I am due for removal in 2 years.

I love mine. BC pills make me puke, the ring was uncomfortable and the patch peels off and looks gross.

Mine was only $600 through the local feminist health center, but I know the cost of the device itself has gone up since then.

Mine was inserted during a D&C so I can't speak to the comfort when done on its own. Its super quick, and I think 5 minutes of discomfort is well worth 5 years of reliable bc. They can give you an oral anxiety med before.

I had some cramping and spotting for a while, but now nothing. I barely get a period. Basically it's awesome and way underutilized in America.

I understand there was an IUD in the 70's that caused a class action suit after making some women infertile. We have been unecessarily gunshy about them ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Cashela View Post
    I have never had kids, I have a Mirena. It does hurt when they put it in. The woman that had hers put in before me came out white as a ghost. While it hurt like heck I just dealt with it and my DR said I did really well. I have to admit I'm not exactly looking forward to when it has to come out and have another one put it.
    Same here.

Hurt like a bitch going in; I cursed at the doctor And I have a pretty high pain tolerance. Ask if you can take an anti-anxiety ahead of time to help you remain calm and relaxed.

I had mine done at 1 PM, and went home afterwards. I had cramps like a terrible period until about 9PM that night, and the next day it was very MILD period cramps but randomly, not all day long. After that, nothing. And I love it now.

But I told my SO that when it comes time to take it out and do another one, I'm not doing it, and he can get snipped. I'm 27, he's 43, neither of us want kids. Makes more sense for him to get snipped, right?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Arrow

Have you considered a NuvaRing?

I have tried a few oral BC pills and could never tolerate the side effects. I only started NuvaRing a week or two ago, so can't give my personal experience for long term use. So far, NO significant side effects! But if you're OK with Depo, then maybe it will be a good option for you too.

IUD sounds way too painful for me.

If you know you're not having kids (as I did at your age), you can always get the Novasure or similar procedure. I was 25 when I had my ablation and haven't looked back. LOVE it.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

Quote Originally Posted by independentlyawesome View Post
    Have you considered a NuvaRing?

I have tried a few oral BC pills and could never tolerate the side effects. I only started NuvaRing a week or two ago, so can't give my personal experience for long term use. So far, NO significant side effects! But if you're OK with Depo, then maybe it will be a good option for you too.

IUD sounds way too painful for me.
    I opted for nuvaring and love it. It has been the best BC by far, and for the first time ever, I can manage the pain from Endo with OTC meds in small doses as opposed to combing RX and OTC meds to try and keep me on my feet through the day. My period is also WAY more predictable. Instead of four days bleeding, two days nothing, then another two days extreme pain and bleeding, it's now four quick, very light days. Thank goodness. I was struggling with side effects of oral contraceptives before switching to the ring.

I have Mirena and LOVE it. I recommend IUDs to everyone! I do not get my period, I have no issues. Every 5 or 6 months I have a tiny bit of spotting that lasts for 1 day but doesn't even require anything more than a pantiliner. That's it. I don't have to think about it. It is wonderful! My 5 years is up in December and I will definitely get another. I had mine put in at my 6 week checkup after having my daughter and I couldn't be happier with it all around.

Is general anesthesia not an option? I have a pretty high pain threshold and I've had plenty of surgeries (I get hurt, often), but I get very anxious about procedures. I admit I didn't know much about IUD's until this thread but now I am definitely talking to my doctor about this in my next appointment!

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

Quote Originally Posted by Angelico View Post
    Is general anesthesia not an option? I have a pretty high pain threshold and I've had plenty of surgeries (I get hurt, often), but I get very anxious about procedures. I admit I didn't know much about IUD's until this thread but now I am definitely talking to my doctor about this in my next appointment!
    I've never heard about them using general to insert an IUD. I would think that the risks & costs would be too much for a very elective procedure.
    They might give you a few Valiums beforehand if you're super anxious. Can't hurt to ask.