The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Who is decrapifying there house

I started going through boxes when I wasn't working in Sept/Oct but the mess that I made cleaning has been sitting down stairs since then. I have boxes of stuff that I was not ready to get rid of sitting around.

In the fall I tossed/gave away/donated 10 boxes and 3 garbage bags. I got DH to get rid of a few as well.

I am ready for round two. I feel that I am being owned by stuff I have tons of stuff that I don't need, don't use. Stuff that was given too me so feel like I should keep it. Well I have come to the understanding in my mind that I love the people that gave it to me but I don't need to keep the stuff to show/feel the love for the person.

How many others are down sizing the stuff in their house?
    My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed

2 members found this post helpful.

oh we have been doing this as time goes on. we want less STUFF. It's just collecting dust.

I am. It's kind of an addictive feeling once you get started.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I am starting on our basement/toy room/tack room/out of season closet/outgrown kids clothes storage area!

I am always doing this, but lately I'm on a real roll.

It really clears your energy to clear the clutter and things around you that you don't love.

You might check out FlyLady.net Great support website for the 'decrapifying' lifestyle and my inspiration for the past 13 years!

3 members found this post helpful.

I am a minimalist. HAve been for many years.
    But when I bought this house It sure seemed that I wasn't.
    I have a few new things, but I hate clutter and really have nothing to decrapify LOL
    I figure it like this, When I die there will be no one to leave anything to.
    Not that I have anything worth leaving. My saddle and tack but that is about it.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I am! And I'm so excited about it!
    I've been a mini hoarder for a long time, but our house is tiny, so we are ready to decrap!

Squeeeee!

My DH and I have been decrapifying for a while. We donate anything that's still useable to a local charity. It feels good knowing it won't end up in the trash and will help people in need.

Well I just filled 3 boxes and one garbage bag of paper and well garbage.
    Two boxes of things to sell at the tack sale, books and horse nic knacks to go with all the tack I have to get rid of.

I did come across this old wall calender from 1975 and seeing as I don't have a new one for this year I am using it as all the dates line up.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...55279857_o.jpg

4 members found this post helpful.

The easy way is get two colors of garbage bags, start one room at a time, put trash in one bag, giveaways in another color. When a bag is heavy enough for you to handle easily, take outside into two piles. Only keep what you use, what you like, what you want to move, and items that are useful. Get rid of other people's stuff they dumped on you, broken, unused, and clothes you don't wear, don't fit, or don't want. Set the kitchen timer for an hour, and stop when it rings. When you get a pile of giveaways, either call for a pickup, or have hubby drop off at a donation site. Don't keep furniture you don't need, or don't like. For closets, remove everything, and only put back what you want to keep. Go through the kitchen, and get rid of storage stuff without matching lids, get rid of cookware you don't use, and clear out dishes or gadgets you never use, and never will. Your discards from a kitchen can help someone getting started, or someone who has lost everything, so they don't go to waste.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

1 members found this post helpful.

Eleanor, that's hilarious!

I'm selling my house and moving across the country so I am purging like a mad woman. It's amazing how much stuff you collect that you don't love. They know me by first name at all the local charities and consignment stores. I've sold all my books except cookbooks. It is exhilarating to be free.

I started doing this after my divorce went through and I was able to keep the place. The garage, the storage room, everything was purged. It felt awesome. I think I took at least 2 truck loads to the dump, a couple to the recycling centre/charity places and even packed up the ex's vehicle a few times with crap that I thought he should have to get rid of rather than me. I think I could manage another truck load if I tried. Its so much easier to keep everything clean and sorted now.

1 members found this post helpful.

I did well before we went on vacation, and it's time to step it up and continue decrapifying.
    I still have a few little boxes to go through, but other than that it's clothing that's the big task ahead of me.
    I'm waiting to find out about a job, which is going to determine how much clothing I get rid of. I've worked so many different kinds of jobs in the last five years, everything from young-crowd type retail (jeans and graphic tees), to working outdoors (mostly yoga/rain gear, lots of warm clothing) to golf shop (preppy- khaki and polo tops, nice sweaters). This potential new job would be office/corporate wear, so yet another different kind of clothing!
    I'm waiting to hear, and if I get the job I'll hold onto my office clothes. If I don't get it, then I'm probably going to go through them and ruthlessly weed them except for one or two interview outfits.

The next biggest task will be going through our dog stuff. Our dogs have more toys in varying degrees of wear and tear, clothing, treats... It's how I imagine parents feel when their kids have overrun their basement!!
    My goal is to have our spare room usable if someone were to stay the night. This will also involve setting some things into MrB's parents' basement for storage until we move again. That will be a 'thing' because they hem and haw about putting things down there- they're "going to" finish the basement, any time now... Which they've been saying for 7 years now!! (their bathroom remodel has taken 6 years and they still haven't decided on mirrors... No one in MrB's family makes a quick move!) Anyway that'll probably cause some frustration, so maybe we won't be able to put anything else there. If not oh well, I'll get rid of everything I can!

Quote Originally Posted by bits619 View Post
    My goal is to have our spare room usable if someone were to stay the night. This will also involve setting some things into MrB's parents' basement for storage until we move again. That will be a 'thing' because they hem and haw about putting things down there- they're "going to" finish the basement, any time now... Which they've been saying for 7 years now!! (their bathroom remodel has taken 6 years and they still haven't decided on mirrors... No one in MrB's family makes a quick move!) Anyway that'll probably cause some frustration, so maybe we won't be able to put anything else there. If not oh well, I'll get rid of everything I can!
    You are decrapifying your house BUT you want to put crap at your IL's house and you know they don't want you too. Think about this for a few minutes and how would you feel if someone that doesn't live in your house wanted to put their stuff in your house.

If you don't have a place to store it get rid of it or put it into storage. Don't ask someone else to look after it for you.

5 members found this post helpful.

I want and need to decrapify but am having a hard time getting started. The standard I am shooting for is to clean and declutter the place as if I was getting ready to move out (I wish, don't like where I'm living much, but stuck here due to $$$ for a while). Perhaps I need a playlist of music to decrapify by. Any suggestions?

My absolute favorite thing about the holidays is the excuse to give away like mad. I don't get crap from anyone because I can say we are making room for new.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor View Post
    You are decrapifying your house BUT you want to put crap at your IL's house and you know they don't want you too. Think about this for a few minutes and how would you feel if someone that doesn't live in your house wanted to put their stuff in your house.

If you don't have a place to store it get rid of it or put it into storage. Don't ask someone else to look after it for you.
    I understand, I suppose my confusion about it stems from them being completely okay with us putting things down there when we first moved but now it's an issue (same net amount of stuff since we've taken some out since then). We're not storing rooms if items, more like three storage containers and two golf club sets. Additionally, their basement is completely unfinished and they go down there only to take out and put away Christmas decorations- the space is completely unused.... But it *might* be, if they go ahead with construction... Someday.

I am aware that they don't have to be willing to store some things for us. It is totally their space to use or not as they like. There are other things between us which are too involved to get into here that are coloring my view on this and probably keeping me from looking at it totally objectively. As I said, if they don't want us to put another container down there I'll go on with plan B.

Quote Originally Posted by laskiblue View Post
    I want and need to decrapify but am having a hard time getting started. The standard I am shooting for is to clean and declutter the place as if I was getting ready to move out (I wish, don't like where I'm living much, but stuck here due to $$$ for a while). Perhaps I need a playlist of music to decrapify by. Any suggestions?
    laskiblue, the easiest way is to get a box and put stuff you have not used in the last year in it. Tape up box and put in closet. If you have not opened the box in 2 months then pack in to car and drop off that the Sally Anne.

Walk around the room and pick up all the books/magazines and other things just laying around. If you have read it and are done with it put in a bag and drop off at SA or GW. If you are not done with it put it away in its place.

Clothes in the closet sort by season. Hang everything that is this season with the hangers backwards. As you use/wear something turn the hanger around. then when it is time to change seasons all clothes that are on hangers backwards go into the give-away bin.

It is not hard to do. For me it is getting it to where it needs to go. It will sit in my basement for months and then like the last time we moved I ended up with 6 boxes of good glassware that got put into storage that where to go to the local SA.

My biggest fail is my junk drawers and boxes. You know that place that has it all but nothing in it has a place.