The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Texarkana View Post
    I've lived in middle Tennessee for 8 years now and have STILL never been to Bedford Tack. You're making me really want to go, despite my hatred/boycott of all things related to showing TWH!

I lived 10 minutes from Bedford Tack for almost 10 years, and I can count on one had the number of times that I have purchased anything there (and it was usually just fly spray,etc). Mostly TWH and western, some nicer western saddle brands but other than that, there is a lot of junk. Stop in if you are in the area, but not worth a special trip.

1 members found this post helpful.

Haven't gone yet, but wanting to make it to Middleburg tack exchange. Live by big Ds and Schneiders - great shopping. FYI - big Ds is moving and having a pre-moving sale at the end of the month!

Mary's Tack and Feed, in Del Mar California! 2 Stories of horsey goodness.
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

Quote Originally Posted by NurseHorsey View Post
    Horseman's Outlet
    Mine too!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Bartville Harness in Pennsylvania. They make all of the Nunn Finer strap goods and sell them for 1/2 the price Bit of Britain charges.

I went there to get everything for my mare when I first bought her. Went home, got on the B of B site, and calculated that I saved over $400.
    Shut up! You look fine! --Judybigredpony
    Ms. Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by dreamingofdressage View Post
    Mary's Tack and Feed, in Del Mar California! 2 Stories of horsey goodness.
    Wait a sec. Yeah, two floors and all dedicated to English. But floors not as honkin' huge as Broken Wallet.

I loved Mary's the first time I went. Then after that, it was just a nice but standardly-equipped tack store. I couldn't recapture the original high…. though I chased it and chased it.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Horsemen's Outlet in NJ- the consignment section!

Fennell's in Lexington, KY- Saddle seat and harness racing tack and equipment and the BEST leather halters.

Quote Originally Posted by flypony74 View Post
    I lived 10 minutes from Bedford Tack for almost 10 years, and I can count on one had the number of times that I have purchased anything there (and it was usually just fly spray,etc). Mostly TWH and western, some nicer western saddle brands but other than that, there is a lot of junk. Stop in if you are in the area, but not worth a special trip.
    That's a fair description.

But the warehouse-ness made me get all jacked up for some kind of safari-like hunt. I was willing to look in every box on every aisle for the one weird treasure I'd suddenly know I needed when I found it.

Another similar place (if it's still alive): Western Saddlery's mothership in Pleasanton, CA. They cater to race horses mainly, but they do have other tack. Their in-house double elastic girths are high quality and cheap.

Oh, and that reminds me of Smith-Worthington's mothership in Hartford, CT. You'll find some off-brand deals but also some well-made british tack and a huge buttload of saddles. They have a warehouse sale, too. It's well-attended. Oh, and if you have your horse with you, no problem: They'd do a saddle-fitting for you in the parking lot.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Atlanta used to have 3 tack shops in a row, Atlanta Saddlery and Tack Tavern which were just normal and then Equimart which was a hunt-and-search bargain bin kind of place. It was fun to hit all 3 in a row.

Now Equimart is gone and Tack Tavern is a Dover. Yawn!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Wait a sec. Yeah, two floors and all dedicated to English. But floors not as honkin' huge as Broken Wallet.

I loved Mary's the first time I went. Then after that, it was just a nice but standardly-equipped tack store. I couldn't recapture the original high…. though I chased it and chased it.
    Mary's Tack has a lot of Western equipment on the 2nd floor...

They're certainly well-stocked, and fine if you need something *today*. As a local, though, I'm not in love with their day-to-day prices, so will often buy online. Their tent sale, though (coming up next month - whee!) is *really* dangerous.

Boots Bridles & Britches - Aiken, SC, and one in Grovestown, GA.
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

I think it just depends on what you are looking for. I have several that I frequent:
    Middleburg Tack Exchange (used boots, blankets, and the occasional unexpected "goodie"-such as the $1200 custom field boots I snagged for $100)
    Bartville Harness - bridles, strap goods and everyday necessities (great selection of products)
    Saddlery Liquidators in both Middleburg and Haymarket - you just never know what you'll find...

Only been once, but Quillin's in KY - halters, and anything you want to be GOOD leather! They engraved plates on the spot as well.
    Horse Cents in KY also had a wide selection of nice leather halters in a plethora of sizes... including a custom made buckle nose halter that they made for me! Again, a good selection of everyday horse items.
    Cindy

Horse Country in Warrenton, Virginia. Not just for foxhunters (though slanted that way). All kinds of riding and stable supplies, books, and every possible household item that could come with a foxy/equestrian theme, from cocktail napkins to Wellie-shaped hand soaps. If you haven't been since they expanded the store, it's worth another visit.

Not for the faint of pocketbook, although they do have very nice smaller, inexpensive (relatively) items, which make great gifts as anything wrapped in their gift wrap/bags is likely to be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    Horsemen's Outlet in NJ- the consignment section!

Fennell's in Lexington, KY- Saddle seat and harness racing tack and equipment and the BEST leather halters.
    I think I've been there! And yes, that IS a nice store!
    Proud Member of the "I Don't Do Facebook" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    Boots Bridles & Britches - Aiken, SC, and one in Grovestown, GA.
    See...I like BB&B okay, but like somebody up there said about Dover...it's like walking into a catalog...kind of impersonal. (Also I just don't particularly care for their actual tack selection though I do pop in there from time to time just to check or if I'm looking for boots).

Like two doors down from the one in Grovetown, though, is a place called Cactus Flower Equicenter (It used to be called Old Frontier but it's under new management now and they've really improved the selection, I think). It's got a good bit of both English and Western and a lot of stuff on consignment and the girl who works behind the counter has always been very nice and helpful when I've gone in there.

As far as "pilgrimage" went, that's when I was living in MD and me and some friends went up to Maryland Saddlery in Butler. We spent so much time in the consignment shop (it has its own building!) that we never made it over to the main store.

For smaller places:

The Grey Pony in Highland, MD...I used to live around the corner and visited quite a lot to see what they had on sale or what had come in new.

Oak Manor Saddlery in Aiken. Only been there once but I keep meaning to go back.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

The Tack Room in Camden SC. Been around forever (ie since I was a kid in the late 70s two or three locations ago).

2 members found this post helpful.

I drive within a 3 hour radius of my home quite often, so I know many tack shops in about 4 states

The two places I go most often are Cross Road Tack: http://www.crossroadtack.com/ and Equine Exchange: http://equineexchangepa.com/ Both sell new stuff but also have lots of consignment with very reasonable prices. I go to many other places too but they were either already mentioned here or aren't very large.

Quote Originally Posted by analise View Post
    See...I like BB&B okay, but like somebody up there said about Dover...it's like walking into a catalog...kind of impersonal. (Also I just don't particularly care for their actual tack selection though I do pop in there from time to time just to check or if I'm looking for boots).

Like two doors down from the one in Grovetown, though, is a place called Cactus Flower Equicenter (It used to be called Old Frontier but it's under new management now and they've really improved the selection, I think). It's got a good bit of both English and Western and a lot of stuff on consignment and the girl who works behind the counter has always been very nice and helpful when I've gone in there.

As far as "pilgrimage" went, that's when I was living in MD and me and some friends went up to Maryland Saddlery in Butler. We spent so much time in the consignment shop (it has its own building!) that we never made it over to the main store.

For smaller places:

The Grey Pony in Highland, MD...I used to live around the corner and visited quite a lot to see what they had on sale or what had come in new.

Oak Manor Saddlery in Aiken. Only been there once but I keep meaning to go back.
    I used to work at BBB, I think it's anything but impersonal, but that's just me. Everyone knows everyone, where they are, etc. People came in all the time just to socialize or look at our BBB classifieds. I hope next time you go in it doesn't feel so impersonal, I loved working there.

I like Oak Manor Saddlery too. Between BBB and OMS, I think you'd be hard pressed to find anything lacking.

Did you work at the one in Aiken or the one in Grovetown? Most of my experience is the one in Grovetown, I've only been to the Aiken one once.

I mean, I'm not saying it's bad or anything like that, I just always kind of get the feeling I'm expected to get in and get out as quickly as possible. It could just be me.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Quote Originally Posted by analise View Post
    Did you work at the one in Aiken or the one in Grovetown? Most of my experience is the one in Grovetown, I've only been to the Aiken one once.

I mean, I'm not saying it's bad or anything like that, I just always kind of get the feeling I'm expected to get in and get out as quickly as possible. It could just be me.
    I worked in the Aiken one! Next time you have time you should swing by there - the Aiken one is bigger, and IMHO, has a better selection of bits, grain, bridles and clothes. The Grovestown one seems to be more westerny.