The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Tack store pilgrimages: Your Mecca?

This seems a very important topic, and one not yet treated in a single PSA-type thread.

People! We need a list of Tack Store Meccas for the traveling faithful. Let's put these all in one place so that the wanderers anywhere can find their way to a worthwhile tack store.

I'll start with a couple.

Broken Horn Saddlery in Baldwin Park, (Southern) CA. Two stories of English and Western goodness. Also, they make their own really beautiful western tack. Huge.

Bedford Tack in Tennessee, a tad south east of Nashville, IIRC.

Also huge. A warehouse, which adds to the feeling of huge. I think they are for saddlebreds, but they have lots of supplies for everyone. I have only been there once (while on a pilgrimage), but it's worth seeing.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Dehner Boot Company in Omaha, Nebraska.
    Proud Member of the "I Don't Do Facebook" Clique

Horseman's Outlet in Clinton, NJ. Mostly English but carries a surprisingly decent amount of Western tack for being in the middle of Hunterdon County, NJ. Has a great consignment section (made living down the road when I was little awesome for me and he!! on my parents).

Rick's Saddlery in Chester County, PA. Surprisingly large for being in the suburbs of Philadelphia. I've also heard wonderful things about their summer sales but have yet to go to one myself.

3 members found this post helpful.

The Farm House- Landrum, SC
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Yah, Bedford tack is in the middle of TN walking horse country, so primarily caters to that type. But they have everything you can imagine. I'm only bout 50 miles east of it and stop there every chance I get.

I'll second Horseman's Outlet!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NurseHorsey View Post
    Horseman's Outlet in Clinton, NJ. Mostly English but carries a surprisingly decent amount of Western tack for being in the middle of Hunterdon County, NJ. Has a great consignment section (made living down the road when I was little awesome for me and he!! on my parents).

Rick's Saddlery in Chester County, PA. Surprisingly large for being in the suburbs of Philadelphia. I've also heard wonderful things about their summer sales but have yet to go to one myself.
    Horsemen's is in Lebanon NJ.

Beval in Gladstone, NJ. The selection is great, the store is beautiful, the staff treated me like gold and helped me (including weeks later, when I had an issue with an item I purchased), and the clearance section on the second floor makes you feel like you've hit the lottery.

I loooove Big D's! Schneider's is good, too, but Big D's is my favorite.

Bartville Harness is amazing. I got there about an hour before closing, so couldn't browse as much as I'd've liked, but I still enjoyed it.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post
    Horsemen's is in Lebanon NJ.
    Yes it is... whoops! Ignore my directionally challenged self haha

The Hitching Post in Middletown KY is my favorite. They are small, but carry a good selection and their prices are reasonable.

I buy my grain at Kentucky Horse Supply in Middletown KY and they are great. The owner is a member of the KDA and has been a great resource for me. Both he and his wife are great people!

cant recall it's name but it's the big tack shop next door to gmha.
    (green mountain horse ass. in Woodstock Vermont)
    I can spend hours and hours in there and always come away with a cool treasure or ten.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Broken Horn Saddlery in Baldwin Park, (Southern) CA. Two stories of English and Western goodness. Also, they make their own really beautiful western tack. Huge.

Definitely Broken Horn, also known as Broken Wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    I loooove Big D's! Schneider's is good, too, but Big D's is my favorite.
    I describe Big D's as the WalMart of tack shops - it's huge & they have everything.

Conveniently located about half way between my house in VA & my parents' house in IN.

Mary's Tack and Feed, Del Mar CA

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    The Hitching Post in Middletown KY is my favorite. They are small, but carry a good selection and their prices are reasonable.

I buy my grain at Kentucky Horse Supply in Middletown KY and they are great. The owner is a member of the KDA and has been a great resource for me. Both he and his wife are great people!
    WHY IS it we live in KY, the horse capitol and have no decent tack shops ? Especially here in Lexington? The best one we have is Wise Choice, and while I love Dave they don't have alot of things that I would like and well, their clearance has some to be desired. I lived in Columbus, OH area and LOVED Equus Now - especially their clearance area. Now they were perfect ! The used/clearance section wasn't everyone's junk and cast offs like alot of Wise Choice's stuff is, it was still in really good shape and reasonably priced. I know we have several decent little places (KBC, Micklers - can't stand them - Breeders Supply, now Kentucky Tack). All cater to general horse care, not actual tack and mostly hunter/jumper stuff. Is very frustrating. Especially since Wise Choice used to carry really quality stuff and now is a Toulouse dealer and their saddles are cheaply made so unless you find something in the used section, there are no other options that he carries to try. We had a state line which was useful, but it's gone now.

When I lived in Chicago, we had LK tack shop (small but very useful) and then Libertyville (now Dover). Why can't we have one here ? Would go over great !

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    Dehner Boot Company in Omaha, Nebraska.
    Have you been there? What features does that church sport?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Well_Worn_Bridle View Post
    Beval in Gladstone, NJ. The selection is great, the store is beautiful, the staff treated me like gold and helped me (including weeks later, when I had an issue with an item I purchased), and the clearance section on the second floor makes you feel like you've hit the lottery.
    Yes, Beval's in Gladstone and New Canaan are good…. but in a different way than those amazing warehouse kinds of places.

Another of those is (was?) Saddlery Liquidators in Haymarket, VA. Not sure that's right. I was on a road trip and sorta made crazy by the religious fervor of finding my way around Virginia's horse country.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Bedford Tack in Tennessee, a tad south east of Nashville, IIRC.
    I've lived in middle Tennessee for 8 years now and have STILL never been to Bedford Tack. You're making me really want to go, despite my hatred/boycott of all things related to showing TWH!

Quote Originally Posted by NurseHorsey View Post
    Their summer sale used to be to DIE for!! I haven't been in years, the last few years I lived in the area the sale had been getting a little less amazing, but you could still find good deals.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    Bartville Harness is amazing. I got there about an hour before closing, so couldn't browse as much as I'd've liked, but I still enjoyed it.
    My favorite store on the planet. Whenever I visit my family, I always have to visit. I usually bring a boatload of leather to be repaired as well, since there are few places around here that do the job they do!

When I'm back in the Mid-Atlantic area, I also have to visit:
    -Dover Saddlery in Hockessin, DE
    -Bit of Britain in Oxford, PA (they also used to have an amazing tent sale)
    -Outback Trading Company Outlet in Oxford, PA-- not tack, but they have terrific deals on coats and outerwear

I really, really, really miss living in Oxford when it comes to horse shopping!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Dover just open a brand new store in my city last month. It's beautiful, but not personal. I literally feel like I'm walking in the catalog. Nothing that I haven't already seen.

If I'm really going shopping, I'm headed to The Tack Room in Camden, SC. Several years ago, I didn't love their customer service, but in the past 5 years or so, they could not have been any nicer or more helpful. The store is HUGE, has everything from brushes to jumps to horse trailers, and I'm pretty sure the saddle section alone is larger than the Dover store in Charlotte. LOVE that place!!
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH