The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Unhappy WILL IT EVER END?!?!?!

I usually love winter! I like that where I live we get a change with every season. But enough is enough! It seems never-ending.

Today is extreme cold with nasty winds. At times I see nothing out the window. If it isn't super cold and/or storming then it's mild, but everything has become slippery.

Just feeling a bit bummed today. I'm sure there are others out there too that are also feeling like this winter is going on and on and on...

Feeling the same way here in southern Ontario...just miserable. Bashing out frozen buckets and mucking frozen poop has now lost it's novelty appeal. Please can we have an early spring...(feb 1 would be OK)

1 members found this post helpful.

I agree an early spring would be most welcome!! My kids have had 'indoor recesses' all week at school due to the very cold temps!

Same thoughts coming from Minnesota. Yesterday and the day before were brutal, today it's oddly warm, tomorrow and Sunday aren't too bad, and then the high on Monday is -12 F. Ugh!!!

Okay I am going to stop whining about it being in the tweens here in Virginia. -12? Gah!!!

The low is -21 .

Poor Mr. SS, having not lived in MN with me until this point, is experiencing a bit of shock.

I'll gladly take your winter. Here in California temperatures have been abnormally high and we have declared a statewide drought with no rain in months. I suppose the grass is always greener (although certainly not here ).

Agree. While our temps can't compare to yours (seriously, how do people LIVE there?!) it has been unseasonably cold here as well. Single digits and lows/wind chills in the negatives are not normal for this area, not for days or weeks at a time like we've been having. I've pretty much given up on riding until this breaks

LOL Had to laugh at the grass is always greener comment. I'm assuming yours is all dried up/brown with the heat and no rain??
    We don't even have brown grass!! We have like 2-3 feet of snow!

We haven't had a nasty, long, stormy, cold winter like this for a few years now!

I am somebody who rides no matter what usually....but we've had between minus 15 and minus 30 for practically the last 15 days or so. My hands just do not work in those temps. I can manage to lunge my mare for about 15 min (then hand her off to hubby to lunge for a bit more), but I can't hold the reins to save my life. I discovered even those hand warmer things go cold if you have no body heat at all to reflect back at them. I cannot wait for a balmy minus 5 or a not too bad minus 8....

There is only one semi funny thing...and it's is our TB who is the ULTIMATE hay dunker, water slopper...he manages to get his nibble net completely iced up. It looks like some weird modern piece of art work...all covered in a thick layer of ice with bits of hay poking out. If I could come up with a clever 'story' about what it represents, I bet I could sell it to a trendy art gallery. LOL

I've had enough winter, with one burst pipe already and another frozen as we speak probably going to burst this weekend when it goes above 20 outside. My daughter wrecked our car driving in an unexpected blizzard last weekend. I am driving my tow vehicle everywhere and spending three times normal on gas. Our burro is wearing three blankets and still shivering. I am ready to give up.

For me, this winter isn't as horrible as last winter. We do not have the 5' of whiteshit we had last year at this time (ended up with 8') and winter did NOT start in October and probably won't last to May like it did last year. It is cold. though, but we do have some breaks this year. On tap for today's weather, rain and high winds; we have high winds already. rain to come followed by another snow dump or three over the weekend.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

We had some rain near the beginning of January when everything in this area was basically shut-down for 2 days due to a massive blizzard! Yep! Lots of snow followed by some mild weather/rain, then colder temps turned everything into a complete ice rink!

It has been unseasonably cold and wet here in MS. As in, its barely 32°F with off and on freezing rain/sleet today. I moved south to get away from the cold!

The rain has been a whole other issue. I can count on one hand the number of times I've ridden in the past month. Ugh.
    My May boys: Beau , Neon, Criss

I'm actually dreading the warm-up. That's when the water mains are going to burst.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Willy Von Whompers View Post

There is only one semi funny thing...and it's is our TB who is the ULTIMATE hay dunker, water slopper...he manages to get his nibble net completely iced up. It looks like some weird modern piece of art work...all covered in a thick layer of ice with bits of hay poking out. If I could come up with a clever 'story' about what it represents, I bet I could sell it to a trendy art gallery. LOL
    But only if you keep it cold, like they do ice sculptures for weddings! Heck, you might start the next big fad!
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

2 members found this post helpful.

I am SO tired of this... It's blowing a gale, fluffy glitter snow is flying and visibility is horrible, and I need to get to town after work. I'm about sick. Gonna have a high (HIGH!) of -5 Monday and Tuesday... Enough is enough!
    Quarry Rat

Really? At this point I honestly don't think I will ever be w arm again! ( N IL)

There is NO escape from the POLAR VORTEX!!!!!!!!!!

They are saying next week will be worse.

http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc200...32206_hd20.jpg
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com