The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Audi A5 - Anybody Have One? Likes/Dislikes? Please Discuss!

I came across a 2009 Audi A5 coupe yesterday and fell in love with it.

I love the way it handles, I love the lightness of it, and most of all, I love the size of it- finally, a car that fits my smallness! No blind spots, no struggling to figure out if I actually parked straight in a parking space, none of the proprioceptive issues of having a car that is too big-bodied and that I can't even see over the steering wheel.

Anyway...

I'm getting mixed reviews from my friends- some are saying that these cars are maintenance nightmares; while others are saying that they've never once had a problem with their Audis (of many different models) and that they absolutely love them (my best friend and her fiance actually just bought their 3rd; and still have the previous 2)....

So, I am turning to the collective wisdom of the CoTHers to see if any of you have had experiences with Audi automobiles in general; or even with this specific model. I'd love to hear your reviews, specifically pertaining to the quality, value, maintenance, etc. of Audis (and if you have info on the A5 specifically, that's even better! And also I would deeply appreciate any feedback re: whether or not they really are a maintenance nightmare, or if they are not.

Any and all input is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by sofa View Post
    tomorrow i wear tight t-shirt that says peaches across my boobs in big orange letters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Watts View Post
    Yes, the world is a strange place. Have a glass of wine.

Well, I have an old Audi, that I love dearly.

Here's the thing with these cars. If they are taken care of 100% correctly, they are fine. But if even one maintenance was delayed or skipped, you will have an issue. It's true of most german cars, but I have found that Audi especially is like that.

Therefore, I would never buy a used one unless it either a) came with complete records and was serviced by someone who will vouch for the car's care, or b) was owned by one owner, who I knew and trusted.

I would never buy one off a lot because the odds are it is there because someone got their first repair bill from Audi and flipped out.

Don't get me wrong, I think there is no better car out there. I love mine and it has 240k on it with no major issues at all. I plan to buy the S3 when it comes out next year. But you have to know what you're getting into with cars like this-- don't expect it to be a Honda that you can be late on oil changes or maybe let the tires wear a little unevenly, etc because it just won't take that.

2 members found this post helpful.

My Husband had a 2009 Audi S5 for about 6 months. Found a great deal that he couldn't pass up as it was the car of his dreams. Turned out to be a nightmare.

Some electrical component in the car broke while it was in our garage. This basically caused the car to think that it was being stolen and locked out everyone except Audi with its special maintanince machine.

We thought everything was fixed, and left for the weekend to spend some time with his parents in Michigan. On the way home the same thing happened to us at a random gas station, car would not turn on. This was on a Sunday over a holiday weekend and it took Audi about 6 hours to find a towing company that would come out and get us. The Audi dealership spent the entire next day working on the vehical, spent the entire day taking the whole thing apart. It was the exact same part that broke about 2 weeks prior except this time it didn't need to be replaced. Audi had to reset the part.

We decided that we couldn't own a car that could just lock us out even with a key when this electrical component would short, as it thought it was being stolen. Taking it to the Audi dealership every time was too ridiculous, since they have their special machine only service centers with this machine can work on the car.

I've heard that they fixed the issues with the S5 in the newer releases after the 2009 model year.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

They have a bit of a douche factor but I used to work with a girl - about your same height and build - who had one and she loved it, probably for the same reasons you like it. I never heard any complaints from her though when I looked at buying an Audi, it just didn't seem practical for my needs, especially for the price and difficulty of maintenance. One of my neighbours somehow got one - they are immensely popular with young middle Eastern folks - though I can't really ask him about it since he doesn't appear to speak a lick of English - and I have yet to even figure out how he could afford it - so far as I've seen. There's an auto dealership in Fairfax City that often has several of them on the lot at any given time and a few Audi mechanic shops in NoVA to service local owners who want to go outside of the dealerships.
    SPACE FOR RENT

1 members found this post helpful.

German cars are notoriously expensive to repair. If you are prepared to drop 45K on a car, then maybe this isn't the end of the world for you, but personally, if I was going to spend that money, I'd stay far from Audis. The only German cars I'd try would be Porsches (but god knows I will never be able to afford one!). The other brands you really need to do a lot of googling into the specific model/engine you are going for and find out what the common problems are.

Googling 'audi A5 problems' came up with pages upon pages of Audi owners complaints. But, no car is perfect and its up to you whether you want to risk that.

Thank you all for your responses! They have definitely given me a lot to consider, and I very much appreciate that.

I'm going to bring a good friend of mine (who is also a trusted mechanic) to take a look-see at the car this afternoon; and will take a few days (or even a week, or however long it takes!) to come to a final decision.

I've been researching consumer reviews online, and the majority of them- even the recent reviews from 2012, 2013- have been positive. There are a couple of outliers in there, which I am also taking just as seriously as I am the positive commentary.

I have a list of questions to ask the dealer, and a lot of my decision will be made based on those answers.

I was so excited when I took it out for a test-drive last night... I was just beyond happy. I haven't felt a car drive or handle or even fit me so well since my old 2002 Toyota Solara! (may Big Blue rest in peace)

Whatever is meant to be will be, I suppose- in terms of whether or not we can come to an agreeable and reasonable monthly payment and finance %- but I at least like to go into these sorts of situations armed with as much knowledge as I possibly can.

So please, continue to share! I really appreciate it :-)

Oh, and Lex- if I am behind the wheel of any car- whether it be a Nova, a Toyota, a Lexus, an Audi, or anything else- any "douche-status" descriptors of said car are automatically revoked. Because I am a MFing badass. And that is a fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by sofa View Post
    tomorrow i wear tight t-shirt that says peaches across my boobs in big orange letters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Watts View Post
    Yes, the world is a strange place. Have a glass of wine.

DH has had several Audi's over the years, not the A5, but the A4 and A6. I love the way an Audi handles and if I have my way, an S6 will be in my garage in the next year or so! DH has since sold his, but they held their value well and we were able to sell them for a very fair price.

I second soloudinhere ---they are great cars as long as the maintanence is done on time by Audi or a competant mechanic. I wouldn't take an Audi to just any shop to have work done. If it's out of warranty and you don't live near an Audi dealer, check to see if you have any local german import mechanics. Repairs on them can be pricey, but we've always had good luck with ours and haven't had many issues outside of normal wear and tear items.

Another option if you are looking is if there is a similar VW. My new VW seems like everything under the hood is badged Audi. Must do it for component interchangeability. After a year I am loving my VW sportwagen TDI. It gets crazy good gas mileage and is very, very zippy. I think they are making the Audis and VWs more common there days.

And you can run it on leftover fry oil if you like the smell of fried food :-)

I think a VW would be a better choice for the money since there are more VW mechanics/shops in the area and a huge after-market parts factor going for the brand. Perhaps you should take a Beetle Coupe for a test-drive. They have a similar profile to the Audi A-series.
    SPACE FOR RENT

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I have had several Audis throughout the years and have loved all of them. I did have some electrical issues with my TT around '06… they replaced the panel for free, even though the car was out of warranty at that point. I was impressed.

I have test driven the A5 and really liked it; the only reason I didn't buy is that my DH talked me into an SUV instead. But my next car is probably going to be the S6.

What people have said about the need to stay on top of service/maintenance is quite true, and for that reason, it's important to know whether you have a good local dealer or not. The one we have nearby is fantastic, but when I lived in CT, the one closest to us (dealer in Danbury) was a nightmare. I had to take my car to one that was not as convenient (Fairfield) in order to get the service I needed. Just something to think about.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I have a 2007 A4 that I adore. Prior to that I retired my RAV4 with 196K on it, she was a good girl, but I longed for something fun again since I am in the car two hours/day.

It was a one owner trade in with 21K on it, it now has 54K on it and I've not a had one moment of trouble out of it, save for one minor oil leak was repaired with the first service by a specialty shop. It drives like a MFing bad-ass. As the daughter of a former IMSA driver and current tech inspector for the ALS, I know cars. I know bad-ass. I have bad-ass. I do get it serviced solely by that specialty shop, but it's really not a huge expense.

But if some dude from Radio Shack thinks it's got a douche-factor, well...the douche is in the eye of the beholder. Eww, gross analogy.

I dig it.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

6 members found this post helpful.

I forgot to mention- I wanted an A3 wagon- and we couldn't find one anywhere local- so my husband suggested we go to the local VW dealer and drive the sportwagen since it had the same motor in case I didn't like how it handled.

When we got there there was an A3 sitting there and the sportwagen clearly had superior dog space in the back with the shape of the hatchback and I think it was nearly a foot longer.

Then I drove it- and fell in love- so so so peppy after testing CRVs, Rav4s etc that all felt so underpowered.

They offered me way too much for my trade in so I bought it that day!

I still think the front of the Audi A3 looks cooler- but when my dog is happy I'm happy.

My friend has the TT and loves it. It is a nice car.

I believe that Audi has had issues with their turbo engine. I think it eats oil and the oil winds up caking on the top of the head or block or something. I remember DH saying something to me about it but it has been a while.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I've never worked at Radio Shack but many people think that Audi and the A &S-series in particular is straight-up "douche".

http://www.motoringexposure.com/1109...douchebag-cars

Google "Audi" and "douche" and you'll come up with many hits from forum discussions along with numerous references to aggressive driving by Audi owners who think the road belongs to them.
    SPACE FOR RENT

Oh, can I also google 'how to appear knowledgeable as one of the few males on a horse forum or 'narcissistic personality?'

How about I just said NOVA Asshats Trolling for Dates on a horse-forum, and ditch the Radio Shack?

No takers on that space for rent, eh?

Sweet Lexxy, I'm not an aggressive driver. I just enjoy the fruits of my labors by driving a car I enjoy. I'm guilty of that, you bet.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Oh, can I also google 'how to appear knowledgeable as one of the few males on a horse forum?' You seem to have that bit nailed down.

Got something you want to say?
    SPACE FOR RENT

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Oh, can I also google 'how to appear knowledgeable as one of the few males on a horse forum or 'narcissistic personality?'

How about I just said NOVA Asshats Trolling for Dates on a horse-forum, and ditch the Radio Shack?

Sweet Lexxy, I'm not an aggressive driver. I just enjoy the fruits of my labors by driving a car I enjoy. I'm guilty of that, you bet.
    I've never trolled for dates on this forum, nor do I have a narcissistic personality. You on the other hand seem to have some issues and you sound an awful lot like someone who needs to feel special if you're going all out on me for what I posted.
    SPACE FOR RENT

Oh, you guys .....!

We recently were searching for a car for our daughter, working, 30'ish. She wanted leather, used, low mileage, economical and ended up with an Accura
    Integra, 2007 model.

The theory being that these 'better' cars depreciate so fast, yet are well made. We had looked at the European models, which are fine over there, but here very pricey to repair, and the infrastructure is not the same as for more common cars here. With Honda's reliability, we are thinking this will be a good buy for her.

It priced out at not so different as cars that were cheaper when they were new, is loaded with goodies, mint condition, and was taken as a trade-in. The dealer has given a 1-yer warranty, and did all its maintenance work and has the records.

This car won out over the BMW because of maintenance costs. We run a VW TDI, but she will not put the mileage on to warrant one.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I'm not sure why anyone would consult Radio Shack folks about car quality, LOL.

But JD Power does very useful reviews of various cars, comparing them against others in their class for a huge number of performance and design factors. The 09 A5 is reviewed here: http://autos.jdpower.com/research/Au...pe/ratings.htm

They didn't love the 09, and rated it much lower than the more recent A5s, which have gotten "better than most" and "among the best" ratings in nearly every category: http://autos.jdpower.com/research/Au...pe/ratings.htm
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    I've never trolled for dates on this forum, nor do I have a narcissistic personality. You on the other hand seem to have some issues and you sound an awful lot like someone who needs to feel special if you're going all out on me for what I posted.
    You act like you know about fox hunting, but you don't fox hunt.

You weigh in on farming and agriculture, but you don't do either.

You weighed in on Chattanooga and feigned knowledge of the local vernacular by calling it Nooga.

All you can say about Audi's, when the OP specifically asked about maintenance and expenses, since you don't own one and apparently have never driven one, is that douche-bags drive them.

So you're pattern in posting is consistent across this forum. You don't know what you're talking about, but you never let that get in your way.

9 members found this post helpful.