The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May. 6, 2006
    Location
    rapidan,virginia
    Posts
    1,506

    Default Virginia to fight against same sex marriage ban

    The Virginia Attorney General just announced that he will no longer defend the commonwealth's ban on same sex marriage and wants the state to be "on the right side of history."

    Huge reversal in attitude for our state.

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...3a9_story.html
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy: http://tinyurl.com/kj7x53c
    Stash: http://tinyurl.com/mmm3p4e


    14 members found this post helpful.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2003
    Location
    Middleburg, VA
    Posts
    12,753


    6 members found this post helpful.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec. 11, 2006
    Location
    Cheesehead in Loudoun Co, VA
    Posts
    2,355

    Default

    I am proud to say that I share the ballot box with that man. The actual, physical ballot box.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan. 10, 2002
    Location
    Area VIII, Region 2, Zone 5.
    Posts
    6,539

    Default

    Virginia really is for lovers, after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb


    12 members found this post helpful.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2005
    Location
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Posts
    12,718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HighFlyinBey++ View Post
    I am proud to say that I share the ballot box with that man. The actual, physical ballot box.
    And thank you and your neighbors for helping to turn VA BLUE!
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.


    7 members found this post helpful.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar. 30, 2007
    Location
    Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.
    Posts
    11,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    Virginia really is for lovers, after all.
    Not if you take the divorce rate into account!
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!


    1 members found this post helpful.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun. 8, 2012
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    Yayy Virginia
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!


    2 members found this post helpful.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep. 8, 2006
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    1,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    And thank you and your neighbors for helping to turn VA BLUE!
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    16,672

    Default

    What a 180 turn. Yay for VA!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant


    2 members found this post helpful.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May. 25, 2009
    Location
    Branson
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Then the Virginia Attorney General should be removed from office. This is the oath he took..." I, -------------, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and maintain the constitution and laws
    of the United States, and the constitution and laws of the state of Virginia; that I recognize and accept
    the civil and political equality of all men before the law, and that I will faithfully perform the duty of
    ----------- to the best of my ability. So help me God
    ."

    Elected and appointed officials just can't arbitrarily and unilaterally decide which laws to enforce and which not to enforce. What if a policeman or governor or judge or whatever decided that they would not enforce rape laws, or child molestation laws, or child abuse laws? Whether one agrees with a particular law such as this one is not relevant. If a law is a bad law it can be changed or removed by proper means - not by anarchy with every yahoo bumpkin and their brother deciding what to enforce and what not to enforce. Exercise some common sense...


    7 members found this post helpful.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr. 6, 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,613

    Default

    Very proud of my state!


    3 members found this post helpful.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    30,708

    Default

    that I recognize and accept
    the civil and political equality of all men before the law
    I think that is the key part in all of this.
    And get real...elected officials and law enforcements have always picked which laws they enforce...After all there are some real stinkers on the books, that make no sense, maybe never did, but yet they are there.
    (Kind of like the cop cars that blow by you when you are driving the upper acceptable speed for the road, like 40 in a 35...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar. 18, 2012
    Posts
    431

    Default

    Faceman, should we uphold immoral laws that contradict fundamental values of equality at the core of the constitution? Hardly. How do laws ever change and improve if nobody ever speaks up on the part of their constituents? That is what the system is supposed to be for, after all, no?


    11 members found this post helpful.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb. 11, 2008
    Location
    gorgeos city
    Posts
    593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faceman View Post
    Then the Virginia Attorney General should be removed from office. This is the oath he took..." I, -------------, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and maintain the constitution and laws
    of the United States, and the constitution and laws of the state of Virginia; that I recognize and accept
    the civil and political equality of all men before the law, and that I will faithfully perform the duty of
    ----------- to the best of my ability. So help me God
    ."

    Elected and appointed officials just can't arbitrarily and unilaterally decide which laws to enforce and which not to enforce. What if a policeman or governor or judge or whatever decided that they would not enforce rape laws, or child molestation laws, or child abuse laws? Whether one agrees with a particular law such as this one is not relevant. If a law is a bad law it can be changed or removed by proper means - not by anarchy with every yahoo bumpkin and their brother deciding what to enforce and what not to enforce. Exercise some common sense...
    You need to read the article.

    As AG, it is purely his decision whether to defend any challenge. The court case in question is filed against the county clerks and the state registar of vital records.

    And yes, public officials do decide all the time what laws they want to enforce or not. You need only look at how marijuana laws are not enforced in some western states and counties. There are innumerable laws on the books that are more observed in the breach than the observance.
    Until the mid 90's it was written into the state constitution of Alabama that inter-racial marriages were illegal (they had to hold a state-wide referendum to amend the constitution). Nobody had tried to enforce that law in 30-40 years, maybe more, and would have been real fool to do so.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-


    4 members found this post helpful.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct. 12, 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    971

    Default

    I read the topic too fast and was because I thought it said "VIRGINS to fight against same sex marriage ban".

    Carry on.
    Alis volat propriis.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan. 10, 2002
    Location
    Area VIII, Region 2, Zone 5.
    Posts
    6,539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    Virginia really is for lovers, after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Not if you take the divorce rate into account!
    Lovers, not boring old married people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb


    6 members found this post helpful.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun. 11, 2013
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faceman View Post
    Then the Virginia Attorney General should be removed from office. This is the oath he took..." I, -------------, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and maintain the constitution and laws
    of the United States, and the constitution and laws of the state of Virginia; that I recognize and accept
    the civil and political equality of all men before the law, and that I will faithfully perform the duty of
    ----------- to the best of my ability. So help me God
    ."

    Elected and appointed officials just can't arbitrarily and unilaterally decide which laws to enforce and which not to enforce. What if a policeman or governor or judge or whatever decided that they would not enforce rape laws, or child molestation laws, or child abuse laws? Whether one agrees with a particular law such as this one is not relevant. If a law is a bad law it can be changed or removed by proper means - not by anarchy with every yahoo bumpkin and their brother deciding what to enforce and what not to enforce. Exercise some common sense...
    What the hell. How is same sex marriage legislation comparable to child molestation?!? Come on, really.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May. 25, 2009
    Location
    Branson
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pipkin View Post
    What the hell. How is same sex marriage legislation comparable to child molestation?!? Come on, really.
    And "What the hell" right back at you. Who are you to decide which laws are more important than other laws?

    To be redundant, we cannot have public officials randomly deciding, upon their own personal whims and moral values, which laws to enforce and which not to enforce. The concept is idiotic, ignorant, and naive. And to be redundant once more, there are ways to remove a law from the books. And to be redundant a third time, whether one agrees with the law or disagrees with it is irrelevant.

    The easiest way to grasp the principle, seeing as you are evidently unable to grasp it, is to extrapolate the principle. What if the attorney general decided to not enforce ALL state laws? Yes, that is highly unlikely and far fetched, but it illustrates the principle nonetheless. To pick and choose among which laws to enforce is to have no laws at all. State laws are NOT determined by one person...thank goodness. It makes no difference which side of the political spectrum one is on...


    8 members found this post helpful.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    30,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faceman View Post
    And "What the hell" right back at you. Who are you to decide which laws are more important than other laws?

    To be redundant, we cannot have public officials randomly deciding, upon their own personal whims and moral values, which laws to enforce and which not to enforce. The concept is idiotic, ignorant, and naive. And to be redundant once more, there are ways to remove a law from the books. And to be redundant a third time, whether one agrees with the law or disagrees with it is irrelevant.

    The easiest way to grasp the principle, seeing as you are evidently unable to grasp it, is to extrapolate the principle. What if the attorney general decided to not enforce ALL state laws? Yes, that is highly unlikely and far fetched, but it illustrates the principle nonetheless. To pick and choose among which laws to enforce is to have no laws at all. State laws are NOT determined by one person...thank goodness. It makes no difference which side of the political spectrum one is on...
    <points and laughs>

    Seriously?
    This is your argument?

    Again, take notes:
    Officials have always chosen which laws they enforce.
    Even police do so on a regular basis.
    That starts with traffic violations, like speeding, etc, to more severe things like, uh, drug possession.

    or even murder, like the sad, tragic story of our own, TamaraTN proves.

    In this case, the law is equal to the mixed marriage law in Alabama, and as far as I recall, the public vote did not strike it from the books, but I dare you try to enforce the law!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.


    8 members found this post helpful.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2005
    Location
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Posts
    12,718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faceman View Post
    And "What the hell" right back at you. Who are you to decide which laws are more important than other laws?

    To be redundant, we cannot have public officials randomly deciding, upon their own personal whims and moral values, which laws to enforce and which not to enforce. The concept is idiotic, ignorant, and naive. And to be redundant once more, there are ways to remove a law from the books. And to be redundant a third time, whether one agrees with the law or disagrees with it is irrelevant.

    The easiest way to grasp the principle, seeing as you are evidently unable to grasp it, is to extrapolate the principle. What if the attorney general decided to not enforce ALL state laws? Yes, that is highly unlikely and far fetched, but it illustrates the principle nonetheless. To pick and choose among which laws to enforce is to have no laws at all. State laws are NOT determined by one person...thank goodness. It makes no difference which side of the political spectrum one is on...
    This particular law however is probably unUSconstitutional. I for one as a VA taxpayer am glad he's not wasting his time or my taxes fighting about it.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.


    9 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Looking for a fight
    By Ruby2shoes in forum Off Course
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: Jun. 26, 2013, 03:38 PM
  2. Cat fight abscess
    By HillnDale in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Sep. 13, 2012, 01:35 AM
  3. How to stop a dog fight? HELP
    By howardh in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: Aug. 4, 2011, 11:37 PM
  4. Are there any dog breeds that WON'T fight??
    By grey_pony in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: Aug. 2, 2011, 03:08 PM
  5. Fight the ban!
    By Equibrit in forum Hunting
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: Sep. 22, 2005, 08:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •