The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Virginia to fight against same sex marriage ban

The Virginia Attorney General just announced that he will no longer defend the commonwealth's ban on same sex marriage and wants the state to be "on the right side of history."

Huge reversal in attitude for our state.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...3a9_story.html
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy: http://tinyurl.com/kj7x53c
    Stash: http://tinyurl.com/mmm3p4e

14 members found this post helpful.

6 members found this post helpful.

I am proud to say that I share the ballot box with that man. The actual, physical ballot box.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

4 members found this post helpful.

Virginia really is for lovers, after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HighFlyinBey++ View Post
    I am proud to say that I share the ballot box with that man. The actual, physical ballot box.
    And thank you and your neighbors for helping to turn VA BLUE!
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

7 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    Not if you take the divorce rate into account!
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

1 members found this post helpful.

Yayy Virginia
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    And thank you and your neighbors for helping to turn VA BLUE!
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

1 members found this post helpful.

What a 180 turn. Yay for VA!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

2 members found this post helpful.

Then the Virginia Attorney General should be removed from office. This is the oath he took..." I, -------------, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and maintain the constitution and laws
    of the United States, and the constitution and laws of the state of Virginia; that I recognize and accept
    the civil and political equality of all men before the law, and that I will faithfully perform the duty of
    ----------- to the best of my ability. So help me God
    ."

Elected and appointed officials just can't arbitrarily and unilaterally decide which laws to enforce and which not to enforce. What if a policeman or governor or judge or whatever decided that they would not enforce rape laws, or child molestation laws, or child abuse laws? Whether one agrees with a particular law such as this one is not relevant. If a law is a bad law it can be changed or removed by proper means - not by anarchy with every yahoo bumpkin and their brother deciding what to enforce and what not to enforce. Exercise some common sense...

7 members found this post helpful.

Very proud of my state!

3 members found this post helpful.

that I recognize and accept
    the civil and political equality of all men before the law
    I think that is the key part in all of this.
    And get real...elected officials and law enforcements have always picked which laws they enforce...After all there are some real stinkers on the books, that make no sense, maybe never did, but yet they are there.
    (Kind of like the cop cars that blow by you when you are driving the upper acceptable speed for the road, like 40 in a 35...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Faceman, should we uphold immoral laws that contradict fundamental values of equality at the core of the constitution? Hardly. How do laws ever change and improve if nobody ever speaks up on the part of their constituents? That is what the system is supposed to be for, after all, no?

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Faceman View Post
    Then the Virginia Attorney General should be removed from office. This is the oath he took..." I, -------------, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and maintain the constitution and laws
    of the United States, and the constitution and laws of the state of Virginia; that I recognize and accept
    the civil and political equality of all men before the law, and that I will faithfully perform the duty of
    ."

Elected and appointed officials just can't arbitrarily and unilaterally decide which laws to enforce and which not to enforce. What if a policeman or governor or judge or whatever decided that they would not enforce rape laws, or child molestation laws, or child abuse laws? Whether one agrees with a particular law such as this one is not relevant. If a law is a bad law it can be changed or removed by proper means - not by anarchy with every yahoo bumpkin and their brother deciding what to enforce and what not to enforce. Exercise some common sense...
    You need to read the article.

As AG, it is purely his decision whether to defend any challenge. The court case in question is filed against the county clerks and the state registar of vital records.

And yes, public officials do decide all the time what laws they want to enforce or not. You need only look at how marijuana laws are not enforced in some western states and counties. There are innumerable laws on the books that are more observed in the breach than the observance.
    Until the mid 90's it was written into the state constitution of Alabama that inter-racial marriages were illegal (they had to hold a state-wide referendum to amend the constitution). Nobody had tried to enforce that law in 30-40 years, maybe more, and would have been real fool to do so.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

4 members found this post helpful.

I read the topic too fast and was because I thought it said "VIRGINS to fight against same sex marriage ban".

Carry on.
    Alis volat propriis.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Not if you take the divorce rate into account!
    Lovers, not boring old married people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

."

What the hell. How is same sex marriage legislation comparable to child molestation?!? Come on, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipkin View Post
    What the hell. How is same sex marriage legislation comparable to child molestation?!? Come on, really.
    And "What the hell" right back at you. Who are you to decide which laws are more important than other laws?

To be redundant, we cannot have public officials randomly deciding, upon their own personal whims and moral values, which laws to enforce and which not to enforce. The concept is idiotic, ignorant, and naive. And to be redundant once more, there are ways to remove a law from the books. And to be redundant a third time, whether one agrees with the law or disagrees with it is irrelevant.

The easiest way to grasp the principle, seeing as you are evidently unable to grasp it, is to extrapolate the principle. What if the attorney general decided to not enforce ALL state laws? Yes, that is highly unlikely and far fetched, but it illustrates the principle nonetheless. To pick and choose among which laws to enforce is to have no laws at all. State laws are NOT determined by one person...thank goodness. It makes no difference which side of the political spectrum one is on...

8 members found this post helpful.

And "What the hell" right back at you. Who are you to decide which laws are more important than other laws?

To be redundant, we cannot have public officials randomly deciding, upon their own personal whims and moral values, which laws to enforce and which not to enforce. The concept is idiotic, ignorant, and naive. And to be redundant once more, there are ways to remove a law from the books. And to be redundant a third time, whether one agrees with the law or disagrees with it is irrelevant.

The easiest way to grasp the principle, seeing as you are evidently unable to grasp it, is to extrapolate the principle. What if the attorney general decided to not enforce ALL state laws? Yes, that is highly unlikely and far fetched, but it illustrates the principle nonetheless. To pick and choose among which laws to enforce is to have no laws at all. State laws are NOT determined by one person...thank goodness. It makes no difference which side of the political spectrum one is on...
    <points and laughs>

Seriously?
    This is your argument?

Again, take notes:
    Officials have always chosen which laws they enforce.
    Even police do so on a regular basis.
    That starts with traffic violations, like speeding, etc, to more severe things like, uh, drug possession.

or even murder, like the sad, tragic story of our own, TamaraTN proves.

In this case, the law is equal to the mixed marriage law in Alabama, and as far as I recall, the public vote did not strike it from the books, but I dare you try to enforce the law!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

8 members found this post helpful.

This particular law however is probably unUSconstitutional. I for one as a VA taxpayer am glad he's not wasting his time or my taxes fighting about it.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

9 members found this post helpful.